Tube Amp to Turntable

20side

Ok everyone, I fell in love with equipment and reviews and got over my head. I have 2 pieces of equipment that I love and want to stitch them together. I have a Miniwatt N3 that I heard great review about and I hooked up to my computer to play spotify on some of the worst speakers you could imagine (ripped them out of an RCA bs surround sound system 8 years old and under $200 - including dvd player, etc.). Still, the sound was so much more detailed than anything I had heard before, I wanted to step up.

I was feeling the vinyl bug, searched some reviews and ended up with the Pro-ject genie 1.3, which is unbelievably cool looking, but I can't hook it up to the miniwatt. I did hook it up to an old Denon amp, and the same horrible speakers, but I lost the love.

So what I'm looking for is some advice on speakers, which I need to finally dive into, and even rudimentary advice on pre-amps or getting good sound out of a turntable. I love the tube sound of the miniwatt, and I would imagine, but don't know that I'd have to go tube preamp as well to preserve the magic. Any help you could provide would be, well, um, helpful.

You need more than a preamp, you will need a phono stage. Then you will need speakers that cost at least as much as the TT to get some decent sound out of the system. DIY is your best route for phono as a good phono will cost more than this TT.

--G

Any good recs for a phono stage? I've got my eye on a Bellari 130. Seems reasonable price/performance. Also then looking for high efficiency speakers to go with the miniwatt n3.

Is this a reasonable strategy or am I headed for a catastrophic fail?

Many thanks for your counsel.

It should work. Both the bellari and mini watt are superb for the money. Not exactly the most refined sounding, but good for the money nevertheless.

Any good recs for a phono stage? I've got my eye on a Bellari 130. Seems reasonable price/performance. Also then looking for high efficiency speakers to go with the miniwatt n3.

Is this a reasonable strategy or am I headed for a catastrophic fail?

Many thanks for your counsel.

You have a great choice to budget Phnostages in US.You can buy Art Dj Phono pre.Its just $43 at Amazon,got very good reviews on Audiokarma.
Amazon.com: ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier Dual RCA Type Inputs and Outputs Switchable Low Cut Filter: Musical Instruments

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks for the advice/support. Am I correct in my tube to tube strategy or would a transistor based phono stage preserve the magic of tubes in the amp? If I can get out of a hundred bucks or 2, I'd do it.

I am loving the tube sound so much, I'm hesitant to interfere.

Thanks for the advice/support. Am I correct in my tube to tube strategy or would a transistor based phono stage preserve the magic of tubes in the amp? If I can get out of a hundred bucks or 2, I'd do it.

I am loving the tube sound so much, I'm hesitant to interfere.

A good quality tube based Phonostage is very costly.Low priced tube Phonos will not serve you well.Modern Opamps are more than capable of producing very god or better sound.I can suggest you a very good phonostage if you can DIY.I have a PCBs for this Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared... - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regrds,
Sachin

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back