Tube amps for Metal/Rock ?

Mayank Shah

Hello, Haven't had the opportunity to hear a tube amp yet. Wondering if any hard rock / metal fans here using one. Very intrigued to know (hear) whether tube amps/ poweramps are suitable for the said genres, if so please do mention which speakers you are using. Thanks and Cheers.

Hello, Haven't had the opportunity to hear a tube amp yet. Wondering if any hard rock / metal fans here using one. Very intrigued to know (hear) whether tube amps/ poweramps are suitable for the said genres. Cheers.
I recently picked up a tube pre + ss power amp. Rock and metal does sound good on this chain.
Some folks say that tubes roll off HF aggressively. This tube pre doesn't, I can confirm this much.
No idea how a tube power amp would be. My speakers are not very efficient, 88dB.
Wouldn't mind trying it out if someone has one to lend :)
Cheers,
Raghu

I recently picked up a tube pre + ss power amp. Rock and metal does sound good on this chain.
Some folks say that tubes roll off HF aggressively. This tube pre doesn't, I can confirm this much.
No idea how a tube power amp would be. My speakers are not very efficient, 88dB.
Wouldn't mind trying it out if someone has one to lend :)
Cheers,
Raghu
Hi. Which ones? The pre, pwramp and speakers.

CCA/USB --> Parasound NC Pre (DAC only) --> Lyrita DHT Pre --> AKSA55 Power --> KEF R300

Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb , must admit that I have just skimmed over you post on the gear, but you mentioned something about the highs not being sparkly....... generally speaking, would a sparkly DAC improve things?

The HF or LF roll off is dependent on the OPTs used and the over all topology of tube amps. To generalize this statement is not true. Some tube setups in fact do the opposite, bloom the HF like a flower.... and make bass dynamic.

Rock and hard metal from tubes, welcome to my place.... Will take you to another world !

I never enjoyed hard rock ever before. Its "musical" and highly resolving down to the lowest notes. Even the crappy ones sound quite enjoyable..... Though I am fine down to 35 hz. Thats more than what you can expect from a 2 way with no sub support.
So is it due to the tubes in the setup or source? I am very happy with 35 on floor standers too......I feel for the said genres, slam and punch is more critical to enjoy rather than the growl. Of course on some tracks it does help.

@raghupb , must admit that I have just skimmed over you post on the gear, but you mentioned something about the highs not being sparkly....... generally speaking, would a sparkly DAC improve things?
The main chain is Parasound (DAC + Pre + power). I felt the Parasound power amp was taming the HF.
In the alternate chain, DAC is still Parasound but the tube-pre + ss-power brings a bit of liveliness.
It is not that the first chain is "meh".

In general Burr-Brown DACs are supposed to be mellow and easy going.
I can agree to this as I have heard, Modi (AKM based) and Khadas (Sabre based) on the same set of electronics.
Cheers,
Raghu

Is there a reason why you have narrowed down only to Jolida?
AP and Lyrita have tube preamps if you are open to local products.
Maybe you should borrow one, if any Chennai FM has these, and check it out.
Of course you need to settle on a SS stereo amp or monos too.
Cheers,
Raghu

Is there a reason why you have narrowed down only to Jolida?
AP and Lyrita have tube preamps if you are open to local products.
Maybe you should borrow one, if any Chennai FM has these, and check it out.
Of course you need to settle on a SS stereo amp or monos too.
Cheers,
Raghu
Am open to anything good. Jolida is the recommendation I got and wanted to know if anyone using the same. Thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back