Tube Pre-Amp OP Amp Change

Doomster69

Hi folks,

I have a 'budget' tube pre-amp in my stereo chain that serves as both my headphone amp and tube buffer between dac and stereo amp. Sharing the link below for the unit for schematics ( as i dont understand circuit designs).

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001002338010.html

The seller's website mentions that the unit gives an option of changing out the OPAMP. It currently has the NE5532 and can be changed/replaced with a Muses 01 or Muses 02 op amp. Ive heard demos of topping d30 with Muses01-03 and liked the Muses02 and muses03. Muses 03 is a single op amp chip and will have to put 2 of these with an adaptor to make it work, so tending towards Muses02. Seems like the tubes (GE JAN5654) are good enough to avoid tube rolling.

Wanted to understand from others experience:

1. Does the OP AMP chip impact the headphone output 'only' or does it effect the line out signal as well? Related to same question, If i changed the op amp to Muses02, will it also effect the sound signature of signal being sent to the power amp via the RCA line out as well?

2. Does anyone else have experience of MUSES 02 op amp (rolling) and the changes/benefits they heard? My goal is to improve the sound stage and in-room presence from the system (other factors like speaker set up, treatment, etc. being taken care of). Would the amp op rolling to muses 02 make a difference?

3. I use Hifiman Sundara's with the headphone out. Would you suggest any other op amp that would be better suited for these planar's?

4. While both mouser and digi-key offer the op amps for sale however both purchases will be subject to customs duty. The tube preamp cost me around 5.5K while the MUSES02 chip itself will cost 6K. incl. shipping and customs. Is there any local/india seller for buying authentic op amps?

Any insights will be mighty valuable :)

Tx

OPAmps do make a lot of difference in sound quality. Recently I changed OPAmps in my Purify amps and noticed huge difference.
But I have no idea about Muse OPAmps.

NE5532 is dual channel opamp, so you can try few of these: opa2134, LM4562, opa1642, opa1656 without burning too much money on rolling opmaps.. I have tried muse02, muse 8920 didnt feel they were worth the hype or price.. Except opa1656 rest of opamps are available on rsdelivers.com and all are unity gain stable.

I think I used OPA1656 replacing very expensive Sarkos. I imported from Audiophonics France.
It’s a great sounding OPA ar reasonable price. But shipping etc cost more.
But for this Chinese amp I am not sure it’s worthwhile to use these OPA

You have to check if opamp is capable of driving headphones or not. If headphone out has dedicated opamp, then use matching one.

NE5532 is dual channel opamp, so you can try few of these: opa2134, LM4562, opa1642, opa1656 without burning too much money on rolling opmaps.. I have tried muse02, muse 8920 didnt feel they were worth the hype or price.. Except opa1656 rest of opamps are available on rsdelivers.com and all are unity gain stable.
Hi,

The op amp u changed out was in a headphone amp? 'im using hifiman sundara HPs and they need a high current amp to shine.

any experience with digikey or mouser websites? They both have almost shipping costs equal to the cost of the op amp.

Lastly, any experience/thoughts on using 2 mono op amps using adapter instead of a single dual channel op amps?

I know it's not the best source to assess, but in this youtube video (
) featuring single channel op amps (muses03) mounted on an adapter 'subjectively sounded better' than single dual channel op amp.

You have to check if opamp is capable of driving headphones or not. If headphone out has dedicated opamp, then use matching one.
Hi Spiro,

The circuit design shows HP put has dedicated dual channel op amp. The seller website says this can be upgraded to muses 02 (dual channel op amp).

Hi Spiro,

The circuit design shows HP put has dedicated dual channel op amp. The seller website says this can be upgraded to muses 02 (dual channel op amp).
That means already matching opamp is suggested. Yes 2 mono opamp(matching) can be used with adaptor on dual socket. Many FM using SSP have tried that way without an issue. Only concern is it should be able to drive headphones and voltage required for opamp also should match.

I have found upgrading the tube from Chinese to a decent branded one makes some difference. Op amps... I think the ne5532 is enough.

Hi,

The op amp u changed out was in a headphone amp? 'im using hifiman sundara HPs and they need a high current amp to shine.

any experience with digikey or mouser websites? They both have almost shipping costs equal to the cost of the op amp.

Lastly, any experience/thoughts on using 2 mono op amps using adapter instead of a single dual channel op amps?

I know it's not the best source to assess, but in this youtube video (
) featuring single channel op amps (muses03) mounted on an adapter 'subjectively sounded better' than single dual channel op amp.
yes, it was in Pass Whammy amp. If you are looking for change in current capacity then changing opamp may not achieve that.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back