Tuners - Rotel RT940 or Technics STX999 or Technics STX830 or Sony STV38

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
I have Denon TU280 tuner. Now thinking to up-grade it as it dont have good bass. So came across there four options available in used conditions.
Rotel RT940 or Technics STX999 or Technics STX830 or Sony STV38
So want to know any pros /cons on these models. All are made in Japan

An FM tuner has nothing to do with sound quality - bass or treble.

Ideally no connection but in reality it is :)
Different tuners would sound differently. Even review of my tuner at tunerinffo site already admitted that it is bass shy model ..... i.e. kind of flat base Tuner Information Center - Tuner Reviews D-G

Different tuner have some small effect on sound signature during preamp stage. That small effect matters after amplification.

FM tuners can have coloured outputs, possibly due to the FM station itself (a bit of the mids are usually rolled off to make FM sound good on mobile devices), or the OP amp stages of the tuner itself can colour the sound. Also, a lot depends on the reception itself. From my personal experience, NAD tuners are excellent in both these departments. Try to get hold of a NAD 402 or NAD 412 tuner, these are perhaps one of the best out there. If you can't come across one (owners generally don't sell), NAD receivers like the 7020e, 7020i and 705 are extremely good. I have compared several mass-market Japanese tuners and receivers to my NAD 402 and there is simply no comparison. The NAD is far superior.

For your information, If you haven't heard about Marantz 10B, then please take a little research on this. It's considered to be one of the greatest FM stereo tuners ever made. In 1962 during limited production, it costed >500usd and now limited collectible pieces will go >5000usd!
This tuner stands apart from conventional tuners(all time) due to it's distinct design approaches to address many FM reception problems -and costed highly to the parent company, and due to limited number of produced units -Marantz went into financial trouble.

Highly acclaimed HiFi FM stereo tuner of all time. Quite unlikely to see on in India I think, they produced only 1000 or 2000 units(guess) :)

Ideally no connection but in reality it is :)
Different tuners would sound differently. Even review of my tuner at tunerinffo site already admitted that it is bass shy model ..... i.e. kind of flat base Tuner Information Center - Tuner Reviews D-G

Different tuner have some small effect on sound signature during preamp stage. That small effect matters after amplification.
hi sudhir. i have a denon ae 1500 tuner which is not giving me proper sound. can you suggest any person who can repair the tuner in mumbai ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back