Turning to the table

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

So the forum induced spending spree continues for me.:) I took murali_n to Ritchie street and got myself a TT. Its a used Tehnics SL-1700. Same as our friend anm got. But luckily this unit is not having any issues.All its functions are intact.It has pitch control,strobe light and anti skating. Scouted a for a vinyl there itself but could not find any thing worthwhile.Got only a tamil movie vinyl to test the system at home.

Me and my son finally got it working today.Struggled to set the tone arm weight correctly.And tried to play the record with the plastic cover intact on the cartridge.:D After a call to the seller , removed the cover sheepishly and played the old record.(the guy must have been sneering at the other end of the phone:lol:) The record was a let down.Though the song came out well and good there is a usual karakara soud mildly with the output.I think with a good vinyl the system must rock.murali has promised to take me to the Moore Market this weekend to search for some good plates.My son is eager to hear MJ on it.Once i get some fine vinyls i will update my impressions.

Well the TT set me back by 6.5K. The unit was 5K and a brand new Audio Technica AT-91 cartridge was added for 1.5K.

I would like to record my heartfelt thanks to our friend murali_n for giving me his time and valuable advice to get this unit.:signthankspin:He was instrumental in my getting a CDP too.

He has promised to bring some records to my home this weekend and i think the real fun will start once he sets this unit up correctly.:cheers:

cheers,
sri

Congrats Sri,

Nothing like vinyl sound especially with tube amps and you will enjoy them for all times to come. Hope vinyl makes a comeback soon in India as is the case in the west. (Here I hope we do ape the west, will not mind at all)

Thanks guys for your wishes. I hope i have made a good investment with this TT. This unit has a metal base and it is built like a tank.It also has a dust cover.
I am eager to get my hands on a new vinyl and test this unit.This SL 1700 has got some reviews on the net.Luckily my vintage Marantz amp does have a phono input.:)

Any one who wants to sell vinyls (English/Tamil) in good condition can give me a PM.
Thanks,
sri

congrats sri!

welcome to the vinyl gang. its a good pointer to people hesitating to enter vinyl. its pretty simple!

its great that all the functions of your table are intact. do remember give your lps a good wet cleaning!

regards

Congratulations, Sri! And nice of Murali_n to help you get this unit. Wish you many hours of happy listening on it. Will you be making it to the meet this weekend?

Congrats Sri on your new TT. The vinyl experience will be wonderful (even for a beginner like me, i could make a great difference). As venkat suggested in one post, i got the qualigens pro-pan-ol 2, mixed it with distilled water and gave whatever LPs i had a good good wash, many of those pops and clicks are gone and they sound great. Hunt for some nice LPs - you will enjoy it.

swami

Thanks stevie and bala!

@stevie Hi, have you come across this particular Technics model i got? If so please give me your impressions on it.

@bala Hi friend, I was away for some days at Madurai to attend a marriage.So i couldn't communicate with you. I am thinking of attending the meeting this weekend.Hope to meet the Chennai gang there.:)

cheers,
sri

congrats buddy! good to have another one with sl 1700. I got it for 2k more :( I should have bargained better. I hope to upgrade the cart soon.

srikarkav - will it be possible for you to buy and send me AT 91 if I am not able to buy it easily here?

regards

Hi anm,

Thanks for your wishes and i am happy to join the Technics club. Yes sure i will buy it and send it to you, No issues. But we have to enquire if it can be sent through courier without damge. If any of your friends are visiting Chennai i can send it thro him. Otherwise if this can be sent securely thro courier i will send it.

cheers,
sri

Congrats for your purchase. There is no better sound than vinyl. Get yourself some nice LPs or buy from abroad (amazon...) and you will enjoy them much better. I have initially bought lot of local stuff, but most often than not, they are not in good condition. I switched to buying LPs abroad. I have the choice of what I want, and I get it in pristine condition.

Make sure you have a good cartridge (AT91 is a good beginning) and also do the alignment right. This is one of the most important pieces of setting up a turntable. There is a wealth of info on this forum as well as on other internet sites like Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable for all your queries. You can also find the manuals for your SL-1700 there.

Enjoy. Let us know how it is going...

Cheers.

Hi anil,
Thanks for your wishes. I tried an order on amazon but it says the items can not be shipped to India.Let me see if i can find any other sites that ship with competitive shipping rates.

I am waiting for murali_n to come home this week end to set this unit correctly.

cheer,
sri

Hi anil,
Thanks for your wishes. I tried an order on amazon but it says the items can not be shipped to India.Let me see if i can find any other sites that ship with competitive shipping rates.

I am waiting for murali_n to come home this week end to set this unit correctly.

cheer,
sri

hey sri, Can't wait to hear the review of the vinyl sonic singnature.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Hi Sri,congrats on your newfound joy. Amazing how you keep discovering new ways to enjoy your music Pl post your impressions. wish i could go your way and get a taste of the vinyl one day.

Hi

You can try Mohan Musicals in Ritchie st for used vinyl records they have a very good collection of English, Hindi and Tamil vinyls.

Regards
sub

Hi anil,

cheer,
sri

When you are ordering LPs on Amazon, whatever the LPs are directly sold by Amazon, they are shipped to us in India. Those ones which they in turn allow other merchants to sell, they do not ship to India. To identify which one is sold by Amazon and which is not, you can see "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" mentioned. You can safely order them and they ship it you. By standard mail, you get it home in about 20 days. This is applicable to CDs, DVDs, Blurays and LPs.

Cheers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back