TV display calibration made possible and easy with new Apple TV 4k

mail2sumanth

With the new Apple TV 4K, you should be able to calibrate TV screens with iPhone sensors and feed that info to Apple TV for best picture in what every picture mode the TV is set to. All you need is a iPhone with Face ID capability. Not sure if this is going to be available for the older gen Apple TV.

Interesting, not sure if it is possible with a simple phone sensor why it couldn't have been done earlier. Would be interested to see a comparison with actual calibration and see if it is any good or just a gimmick.

Please let us know your experience once you try it.

Would be interesting if it can be used with Projectors too, again I doubt it will work well with TVs even.

Interesting, not sure if it is possible with a simple phone sensor why it couldn't have been done earlier.
It's absolutely not. Apple is able to do it because they control the stack, i.e. they can calibrate the data from the iPhone's sensor to reference.

The raw sensor the iPhone will capture won't be accurate, but Apple probably has tuned their algo to convert that to accurate. This is why other manufacturers can't do this (Sony and Samsung can with their phones though).

Would be interesting if it can be used with Projectors too
Won't work with projectors. It needs to get light from the screen which projectors won't be able to give as the iPhone will block the path to screen from projector (no light to screen = no reflection.

Maybe you can flip the phone but I doubt that will work well as it won't account for the screen.

This seems pretty amazing feature. Considering that calibration hardware or professional calibration is basically non-existent in India, Apple TV 4k could be the go-to.

Not to mention the amazing hardware in the box and proper support for every format including 60Hz DV.

If only they added some good upscaling like Shield it'd be a must have for every videophile.

This seems pretty amazing feature. Considering that calibration hardware or professional calibration is basically non-existent in India, Apple TV 4k could be the go-to.

Not to mention the amazing hardware in the box and proper support for every format including 60Hz DV.

If only they added some good upscaling like Shield it'd be a must have for every videophile.
Assuming it works well, as I said I would be interested in seeing how well it works before falling for it.

I will be on lookout of some comparisons of base vs apple calibrated vs professional calibrated on youtube and I am sure there are going to be a few videos which will do that, that should show the actual performance vs marketing

Assuming it works well, as I said I would be interested in seeing how well it works before falling for it.

I will be on lookout of some comparisons of base vs apple calibrated vs professional calibrated on youtube and I am sure there are going to be a few videos which will do that, that should show the actual performance vs marketing
I mean, I can't even buy it because I'm a lifetime android user and will never switch to iPhone. So I'm not rushing to buy it. Even MacBook and iPads I've bought are because Windows laptops and android tablets are horrendous.

But since it's Apple, I'm pretty sure they've done it well no matter how much I hate their guts. Vincent from HDTVTest will definitely test it.

I mean, I can't even buy it because I'm a lifetime android user and will never switch to iPhone. So I'm not rushing to buy it. Even MacBook and iPads I've bought are because Windows laptops and android tablets are horrendous.

But since it's Apple, I'm pretty sure they've done it well no matter how much I hate their guts. Vincent from HDTVTest will definitely test it.
Not necessarily, they have failed at quite a lot. From one apple hater to another:

Isnt this a onetime exercise for the display once you purchase a Apple TV 4K ? If it's actually good, might be worth the effort to borrow a phone and get it done.

Anyways, this is great news. Will try it out and see how it helps with my TV ( Unfortunately I too am a Android user till date, thankfully wife uses an iPhone so wont need to ask around)

Apple should be able to do it given the sensors are already tracking ambient light color temperature for the true tone display correction. Though purists disagree to it, I use this feature always as I see always the white point similar to the "ambient white". So this is another use case of the feature for the benefit.

Not necessarily, they have failed at quite a lot. From one apple hater to another:

Every company fails. However, when it comes to hardware-software integration, no other company even comes close.

Apple is the only company which makes phones which are calibrated accurately across brightness range. Same for their tablets and laptops as well.
Isnt this a onetime exercise for the display once you purchase a Apple TV 4K ? If it's actually good, might be worth the effort to borrow a phone and get it done.

Anyways, this is great news. Will try it out and see how it helps with my TV ( Unfortunately I too am a Android user till date, thankfully wife uses an iPhone so wont need to ask around)
Yes, if it works well it might be worth getting. However, modern TVs are well enough calibrated out of the box and the Apple TV 4k doesn't add enough value otherwise.

It's basically spending 20k AND borrowing an iPhone for one time calibration. Also I think the iPhone will need to be logged into the same account, which I won't like to do on a someone else's phone.

If it did upscaling like Nvidia shield, I'd gladly get it as a processing engine with this as an additional amazing feature. Without it, I'm a bit iffy.

Every company fails. However, when it comes to hardware-software integration, no other company even comes close.

Apple is the only company which makes phones which are calibrated accurately across brightness range. Same for their tablets and laptops as well.

Yes, if it works well it might be worth getting. However, modern TVs are well enough calibrated out of the box and the Apple TV 4k doesn't add enough value otherwise.

It's basically spending 20k AND borrowing an iPhone for one time calibration. Also I think the iPhone will need to be logged into the same account, which I won't like to do on a someone else's phone.

If it did upscaling like Nvidia shield, I'd gladly get it as a processing engine with this as an additional amazing feature. Without it, I'm a bit iffy.

I find Amazon & Netflix to display better PQ on OLED than the native apps , but pitted against the Nvidia Shield i too would probably go for the shield itself. Between the Apple TV 4K can be had for around 13-15k during sales , I got one myself for around 15.3k few months back.

I find Amazon & Netflix to display better PQ on OLED than the native apps , but pitted against the Nvidia Shield i too would probably go for the shield itself. Between the Apple TV 4K can be had for around 13-15k during sales , I got one myself for around 15.3k few months back.
That is interesting. I'd be interested to know if Apple does something with that A10/A12 SoC on these?

These chips literally have 10x the power of a usual TV box like firestick. They are probably doing something with it. Else it just doesn't make sense to use something so overpowered.

Guys at AVSForum believe that the upscaling is worse than the native one on Sony (which already is pretty meh in my experience):

^^ Hmmm X930E! My 930D's FALD brother! I found the 930D to be 80% as good as an OLED in PQ. *930D has frame local dimming, not full array while 930E is full array. Still you get great contrast in those models.

Read this article: https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/21/new-...th-older-apple-tv-models-heres-how-to-use-it/

Summary:
  • Calibration adjustments apply only to your Apple TV and not to other media content on the television - it basically means it won't help you to calibrate the TV like we assumed but will adjust your apple tv settings
  • This calibration doesn't apply to Dolby Vision
  • Old apple tv 4k owners will also get this update. Even apple tv HD owners will get this update

Read this article: https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/21/new-...th-older-apple-tv-models-heres-how-to-use-it/

Summary:
  • Calibration adjustments apply only to your Apple TV and not to other media content on the television - it basically means it won't help you to calibrate the TV like we assumed but will adjust your apple tv settings
  • This calibration doesn't apply to Dolby Vision
  • Old apple tv 4k owners will also get this update. Even apple tv HD owners will get this update
Thank you as usual mostly just marketing hype and nothing else

The other main feature of apple tv is High Frame HDR.I am not sure how its gonna work and in what apps it will work.will know more in the coming days.

A review of Apple TV 4k calibration mode and comparison to Calman auto calibration:

TL; DW version:
  1. Obviously, it requires an iPhone signed into the same ID as the Apple TV. Otherwise, the pop-up doesn't appear and they can't sync. Having the Apple TV 4k signed into your account and borrowing a phone from a friend won't work.
  2. As mentioned above, it only calibrates the output of Apple TV 4k itself. So all outputs from your game console, PC or TV's internal apps will not be calibrated.
  3. It doesn't work with a calibrated mode of LG OLED TV in his case (like cinema or filmmaker mode) because it isn't as accurate.
  4. It doesn't work with Dolby Vision as that requires TV to operate within set parameters anyway and doesn't require calibration.
  5. It works pretty well, but nowhere near what professional calibration can get you. Calman got him way closer to the real white point and deltaE was way lower.
  6. According to him, colour calibration doesn't matter if you're in a calibrated mode already and motion/other settings matter way more (I agree with him here).

A review of Apple TV 4k calibration mode and comparison to Calman auto calibration:

TL; DW version:
  1. Obviously, it requires an iPhone signed into the same ID as the Apple TV. Otherwise, the pop-up doesn't appear and they can't sync. Having the Apple TV 4k signed into your account and borrowing a phone from a friend won't work.
  2. As mentioned above, it only calibrates the output of Apple TV 4k itself. So all outputs from your game console, PC or TV's internal apps will not be calibrated.
  3. It doesn't work with a calibrated mode of LG OLED TV in his case (like cinema or filmmaker mode) because it isn't as accurate.
  4. It doesn't work with Dolby Vision as that requires TV to operate within set parameters anyway and doesn't require calibration.
  5. It works pretty well, but nowhere near what professional calibration can get you. Calman got him way closer to the real white point and deltaE was way lower.
  6. According to him, colour calibration doesn't matter if you're in a calibrated mode already and motion/other settings matter way more (I agree with him here).
Thanks for sharing. Even more underwhelming and hyped up marketing bullshit than expected. Glad to hear that we aren't missing out on anything useful and can save our money happily without falling for marketing crap.

Last edited:
It doesn't work with a calibrated mode of LG OLED TV in his case (like cinema or filmmaker mode) because it isn't as accurate.
I think he meant to say that if your tv is already calibrated or using any presets like cinema or filmmaker then apple tv says calibration is not required.this might be true for other brands also and not only LG.

It doesn't work with Dolby Vision as that requires TV to operate within set parameters anyway and doesn't require calibration.
Dolby vision doesn't require calibration?Is apple serious?we can get a medicore panel tv for 30k with dolby vision in india.is that tv suppose to be colour accurate?

I think he meant to say that if your tv is already calibrated or using any presets like cinema or filmmaker then apple tv says calibration is not required.this might be true for other brands also and not only LG.
Yes, basically it can only decently calibrate the TV so it won't affect an already calibrated mode.

It has no way of knowing which mode your TV is in, but just to give an idea of its accuracy.
Dolby vision doesn't require calibration?Is apple serious?we can get a medicore panel tv for 30k with dolby vision in india.is that tv suppose to be colour accurate?
You won't get an Apple TV 4k and a new iPhone with Face ID with a garbage tier TV TBH.

Also, I think the issue is that the calibration method itself doesn't work with DV because Dolby doesn't allow you to change the signal willy nilly.

Back