TV: Handsfree control; play/pause, rewind/ forward on Prime Netflix YouTube Disney Spotify? when cook, fitness, declutter, DIY, Docu/ Edu/Note taking?

crashnburn

TV: Handsfree control; play/pause, rewind/ forward on Prime Netflix YouTube Disney Spotify? when cook, fitness, declutter, DIY, Docu/ Edu/Note taking?

Via
Far Field Mics present on:

* In built on some TVs

* Linked Fire TV Box / Alexa/ Google Asst Speakers?

I find a lot of times I am watching stuff I like to keep busy or get some errands done.

Havent yet tested or confirmed on Hands free Far Field mics. I suspect same commands ought to work on FF mic on said apps.

But via Mi TV Remote Mic: Google Asst.
Netflix: Pause, Resume, Rew/ Fwd X Min - works
Disney+ : Pause, Resume
PV: Pause only..?

I have a 9500g..far field works well..use it to switch the tv on and off..reduce volume to a particular point..say reduce to 20 or mute..pause, search and play content across all platforms..son loves to do it even more..

search and play content across all platforms..son loves to do it even more..
I really appreciate that input. I noticed it search and open, but not PLAY it on several apps.

What Andorid OS update date do you have last? - this Mi 65 is stuck on Jan 2020.

I am having inconsistent "control" across the content app platforms. Are you sure you got the same across all?

Could you please check on these explicitly/ specifically/ separately?
- Open (only Name CONtent,not play)
- Play (e.g. Play XYZ on NF)
- Pause (whatever is playing) / Resume
- Rewind / Forward X minutes

I find these bold ones more critical as I tend to get busy with errands/ chores with hands busy & like being able to Pause, Rewind etc as & when I step in/out.

Been able to do it via Remote on MiTV on NetFlix - Not so on other ones.

Goal is to do it Handsfree on the next TV I get for my room.

Hi..if I search from the home page..the results of the video is opened from youtube and not on prime or hotstar..pause, resume, rewind, forward works on all platforms..the update kernel version is November 15th 2020..

Hi..if I search from the home page..the results of the video is opened from youtube and not on prime or hotstar.
What about Netflix? Can you try

e.g.
Open
Play
... Stranger Things on Netflix
... House of Cards on Netflix

Open
Play
.. XYZ... on YouTube.
.pause, resume, rewind, forward works on all platforms..the update kernel version is November 15th 2020..
On all? For sure?

Why am I not seeing this happen - I need to check why there are not updates on this end.

@lightgamer - Would a mix of the OS & App Versions (being behind) for these platforms be causing the "hindered functionality" that I am facing while updated Dr JJJ is not?

Hi..if I search from the home page..the results of the video is opened from youtube and not on prime or hotstar..
Netflix and youtube works perfectly..the update is only for the tv
So Voice Search is able to pull results from NF & YT but not PV & D/HS - Am I understanding your inputs and stating this correctly?

Now is it only OPEN - ing results?
Or
Can it start PLAY - ing a Searched Title from NF / YT?

Basically is the OPEN vs PLAY command doing different ACTION with the Voice Results or not?
pause, resume, rewind, forward works on all platforms..the update kernel version is November 15th 2020..
And all 4 operations work with YT, NF, PV & D/HS - This is what I want to happen :D
the update is only for the tv..I haven't individually checked various platform updates..
I know. I guess this is due to the every Brand & TV Series not being updated at same timeline. - Android (Eye Rolls)

Is there a general history / understanding of Android Updates as per TV manufacturer brands in Indian market?

Which ones (Brands/ Series/ Models) are more current / give updates for 1-2-3 years or so? / Dont?
App updates are very different to OS/system updates. If you get any android based TV, you'll get app updates through google itself is my understanding. On the other hand, coming to OS updates all manufacturers are horrible. The only decent (not good) one is LG.

Just get a standalone device like firestick 4k, new Chromecast with Google TV or Nvidia shield and that is the only way to get 3 years of updates.

App updates are very different to OS/system updates.
I am aware of that with a tech background. What I may observe here is that the lack of an OS Update may even hold back the App updates that may have been added by App Vendor.
If you get any android based TV, you'll get app updates through google itself is my understanding.
But, maybe the "pre installed" apps like NF are then held back to Old Version as it was installed Pre-Play Store sign in. So until OS updates.. we dont get an update. I am theorizing here, and wondering if we can check on the variants of this hypothesis.
On the other hand, coming to OS updates all manufacturers are horrible. The only decent (not good) one is LG.
Dang! I thought there might be some contenders here? Is this an India only thing or elsewhere also?
Werent some Brands assuring that they will suppoert/ update 1/ 2/ 3 years etc?
Just get a standalone device like firestick 4k, new Chromecast with Google TV or Nvidia shield and that is the only way to get 3 years of updates.
I got a 4K FS, G TV on to do maybe. But was hoping some positive news of TV updates.

But, maybe the "pre installed" apps like NF are then held back to Old Version as it was installed Pre-Play Store sign in. So until OS updates.. we dont get an update. I am theorizing here, and wondering if we can check on the variants of this hypothesis.
Based on how android works, even pre-installed apps should get updates from play store only. I haven't used android TV in a while though, but that shouldn't change on that.
Dang! I thought there might be some contenders here? Is this an India only thing or elsewhere also?
Werent some Brands assuring that they will suppoert/ update 1/ 2/ 3 years etc?
I have the Toshiba U7980 where the brand 'assured' that we'd get regular updates for years. Since I bought it 4 months ago, I've seen zero software updates and I don't expect any in the future either. They've also promised update from VIDAA 3.0 to 4.0 in Q1 2021, but I totally expect them to never do that.

TV manufacturers except LG are trash for software. The Sony update saga that's happening on the X900H also proves them. Also, there have been plenty of incidents where a manufacturer promised updates but failed to deliver them.

Buy the TV for the panel and think of it as a dumb screen where you need to feed it the picture from another source. Any updates you get on top are just a bonus.
I got a 4K FS, G TV on to do maybe. But was hoping some positive news of TV updates.
4k Firestick is good enough. It's also getting a complete UI and functionality overhaul in the next few weeks which is nice. It'll also gain ability to interact with Alexa speakers.

I agree, never rely on the tv manufacturer to support even year old hardware. If it were possible to buy a dummy tv with just the best panel there is and no software buy that and an addon device like the shield or firestick. Seen it 1sthand with a 74k Samsung that stopped updating within a year after 2 odd minor updates, recentmost case in point sony x900h, they have the promised 2.1 enabling updates after much hue and cry, and some of it is still due. Future updates means no major updates

What date/ month was the TV bought and not sure if you can recall/ remember / back track or find this..

Did you have other versions on the TV before and this was updated or did it come with this?
Tv was bought in September...There was an update available by November.. nothing after that..

So Voice Search is able to pull results from NF & YT but not PV & D/HS - Am I understanding your inputs and stating this correctly?

Now is it only OPEN - ing results?
Or
Can it start PLAY - ing a Searched Title from NF / YT?

Basically is the OPEN vs PLAY command doing different ACTION with the Voice Results or not?

And all 4 operations work with YT, NF, PV & D/HS - This is what I want to happen :D

I know. I guess this is due to the every Brand & TV Series not being updated at same timeline. - Android (Eye Rolls)
Yup..you are right..NF and YT..it will play the content based on the command.. PV and HS Google will say all doesn't support it..

Based on how android works, even pre-installed apps should get updates from play store only. I haven't used android TV in a while though, but that shouldn't change on that.
My hypothesis may have been wrong about this on Android TV & maybe even Fire TV Stick. I have been taking some Pics to screenshot the App versions on both. Would be great to compare with some other folks as well.

I have the Toshiba U7980 where the brand 'assured' that we'd get regular updates for years. Since I bought it 4 months ago, I've seen zero software updates and I don't expect any in the future either. They've also promised update from VIDAA 3.0 to 4.0 in Q1 2021, but I totally expect them to never do that.
I like Toshiba, but this Vidaa limitation pains me so I was skeptic of getting it. What date/ month did you buy it?
TV manufacturers except LG are trash for software.
Can you detail this out/ elaborate on this please? Theirs is the other OS right - they one they bought from Palm OS divest by HP.
Buy the TV for the panel and think of it as a dumb screen where you need to feed it the picture from another source. Any updates you get on top are just a bonus.
This might be a reality to accept - But its a pain to attach dongles esp when they are a pain to setup with CAT6.
Cluttered wiring and what not.
4k Firestick is good enough. It's also getting a complete UI and functionality overhaul in the next few weeks which is nice. It'll also gain ability to interact with Alexa speakers.
Lets see how this shapes out. Its no fun saying Alexa do this ON THAT DEVICE. I'd rather just X - Pause, Resume, Fwd, Rew.

It may take Apple's finesse to seriously crack the TV market players backs and bring User Experience and Customer Loyalty back into the game.

74k Samsung that stopped updating within a year after 2 odd minor updates, recentmost case in point sony x900h, they have the promised 2.1 enabling updates after much hue and cry, and some of it is still due. Future updates means no major updates
This is especially a pain when customers are forking money buy their INVENTORY when platforms and products with 2.1 & Android TV 10/ G TV are already announced. I can understand not going back many years but atleast update it to the current OS.

Maybe Google needs to crack a whip and do the same as is with phones who now comply with that.

Tv was bought in September...There was an update available by November.. nothing after that..
Really appreciate your input here. You said it shows Nov 2020 now.
By any chance, might you be able to recall what "Android version" you had at time of purchase?
Hi..if I search from the home page..the results of the video is opened from youtube and not on prime or hotstar..pause, resume, rewind, forward works on all platforms..the update kernel version is November 15th 2020..
And this is the Tiny Wishlist I have and not sure if we can have it via an Android update (since the apps seems updated)- Ugh!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back