Tv Tuner Card

karan85

Right, I have no idea about these things and could do with your help

I have a Cable point next to where my PC is and I have now decided watching Tv on the pc would be a good idea.

The requirement is just to watch TV on my monitor and record a few things (not much). Would prefer a plug and play or something that has drivers available online (as I dont have a cd drive atm :eek: )

Looking for a cheap reliable model
Also, will connecting the external Tv tuner to the USB port and connecting the cable wire to the TV tuner card be enough or will I need more wires ?

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated :)

There are 2 tuner cards available. Once is simple plug n play and another is with USB and recording facility. I am not sure about the recording quality/issues with a USB port as I have not seen it working. But it requires PC to be on full time (obviously).

I am using a simple plug n play external one which directly connects to monitor & speakers and no need to turn on PC. Its has a full funciton remote + OSD and PQ is pretty good as per source. But it can not record anything as it no way connected to any PC software

See more info here

http://www.hifivision.com/television/10324-lcd-tv-pc-monitor.html#post143071

well there is another type of card as well that sits right in your system.. on the pci port of your mobo.. you can just plug in the cable and then use the software.. that comes with the same to watch and record.. else download.. u can buy can card ..

both internal and external will be close to 1k .. however if you are running on a media center edition of windows and you want your card to be detected by windows for use i media center.. then only ((pinnacle)) will work.. else any brand will do..

also sa you said if you want only plug and play.. u can get a simple external card and then you dont even need to turn your pc one.. just connect the vga out from the card to the monitor and audio to the speakers and you are set.. however you will not be able to record..

if you want to record .. u need the usb or the internal type as the system needs to detect it as a video capture device...

I would prefer an internal card as it wont take any space

If i go for an internal card, could you suggest a model that would have its drivers available online so that I dont have to use a CD (I dont have an optical drive)

If that is a problem, i'll go for an external card

Right, am thinking of getting a PixelView PlayTV Pro 4
Anyone used it? is it alright?

have a 20" monitor, basic tv viewing
not fussed with too many features

any card from intex or frontech or mecury will do.. most of them use the philips chip..

ask for pci card... and all of them will have a cd and the driver online.. and dont change your card on basis or driver availability a u can copy the complete cd in apen drive from ur friend's system and then dump it in ur system for future use anytime..

before that check if you have graphic card connected.. also if only one pci port is empty.. will you have enough space between card to get good air flow to keep them running cool.. else u might end up wid problems.. no one will be able to find out real trouble of missing out on small things and factors..tellin you as i have experimented with pc a lot as i have had issue.. with experience telling you practical scenerio.. if you have a graphics card attached and only one pci is left on mobo.. rather go for external one as it will block the air flow to your gpu..

if you have enough space inside cabinet.. go for internal.. buy another 90mm fan for 60 rs and connect it at the rear via molex connector and you will be good..

more you upgrade the system more cooling you will need to get the best out of it...

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back