UHD vs Full HD

Gauravdp

Hello you knowledgeable guys

I need to buy a TV and I have two choices at the moment - a 43" LG UHD TV and a 49" Panasonic Shinobi TV (630 series), both priced approximately at around 63-65000. Financial constraints prevent me from reaching higher, much as I'd like to have a 50" odd 4K panel.

I will use a HD Tata Sky / Hath connection along with a 8-10 MBps broadband connection which the TV will access over wi fi.

I know there's no chance in hell of receiving UHD signals in the immediate or even near future. But the salesman assured me that UHD panels are of higher quality than normal IPS panels and also that the 2016 LG UHD panels are HDR panels so the picture quality over normal HD channels will be superior. Maybe I'm one of the suckers that are born every minute:)

On the other hand the 49" FHD panel promises immediate benefits in the form of a larger picture -- at the cost of reduced "smartness" (The Pana is not apparently as "smart" as the LG), though the only smartness I want out of my TV is to be able to access the net, youTube videos - possibly Netflix later if possible. Both these sets are able to access this.

Can you guys help me make up my mind between these two (or even suggest other alternatives)? (I suffer from chronic indecisiveness). Need to buy this week.

No question,buy an uhd tv with eyes closed.
I've just bought an intex 55 uhd tv and am regretting my staying loyal to my both fhd lg tvs.
Full hd is stone age technology in comparison to 4k and all hd channels are upscaled to 4k making 4k broadcast completely unnecessary.

I would buy the bigger screen. At that size most people would not make out the difference between HD and UHD.

If you have fast enough internet for 4k YouTube or Netflix videos, go for it. Do not expect dth to go 4k soon. Tv channels might not be expected to upgrade soon, especially in India.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

There is one 55 inch non smart pana uhd model in amazon for 88 k
Smart or non smart,buy only a 4k tv,all your regular channels would be upscaled.Buying a non 4k,full hd tv in 2017 will be like buying a maruti esteem in 2017.

TV channels don't even do full HD yet, 4K is pretty far i guess.

I have a 4K tv though, and would advise to go with 4K.

If brand recognition is not a concern, you can look at likes of VU, Intex and LE for full return on your money 55"+4K- HDR

UHD has three new technologies. 4K resolution, wider color gamut and HDR. You will notice higher resolution of 4K if you are seating 1.5 times width and closer. For 50" screen, to notice the difference you should be seating at 4 ft from tv.

For HDR and WCG, those are in use only when the data is present in the source. The TV will not upgrade/upconvert standard hd signal to HDR and WCG. Broadcast will not have it till they move to 4K. This leaves the only available sources at UHD bluray and may be some titles in Netflix 4K.

This should make your decision easier.

There is no 4K content that you can easily access. Netflix and Amazon has a thing or two or that Youtube few. If you want to upscale, my friend had bought the 4K TV 2 years back and he told he hasn't watched a single thing on 4K, except for some clips here and there. If you can postpone till later this year, it might help actually. Or if you want to blow your screen out of proportion, go for a projector. EPSON or BenQ.

Full hd is stone age technology in comparison to 4k and all hd channels are upscaled to 4k making 4k broadcast completely unnecessary.

Not that old, still there are SD channels.
If you cut one apple in four pieces then it won't be counted as four apples. Full HD to 4K upscale means just represent each pixel from full HD to 4 pixels of 4K screen. So you get bigger expansion but no new details are added as they were not present. Imagin when you get those 4 pixels individual details from 4K transmission.

I have 43" LG UHD TV, I am using it for watch movies.
4K Content is less, Full HD and 720p high bitrate movies looks good on 4K.

Very rarely I use it for watch TV Channel.

For TV channel watching suggest you to go for HD.

My usage of 4K Tv is like 99% movie and 1% TV Channel.

I own a LG 43UF770T 4K TV, which is simply superb. Bought it from Flipkart for 63,000/- a year ago and the launch price was 90k at that time. As of now the LG's IPS LCD is the most reliable and one of the best panels from South Korea. 4k is really worth it when you can subscribe to Amazon prime videos which is available for 500/- a year. I watch "The Grand Tour" episodes in 4k and it's an eye candy. You can even stream 4K YouTube videos.

For displaying 4k content, it's not just the 4k panel which is important for us to buy, but also the processor that comes with it, which could render a good picture quality. Before buying any 4k TV make sure that it has 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling and 10-bit colour. And only a handful of 4K TVs ?? come with this feature. And you cannot ignore these features (very important).

I will put down the links about the 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling and 10-bit colour for better understandability. If you buy a PS4 Pro in future and if your 4k TV does not have the 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling, then being a 4k TV you still cannot take the advantage of PS4 Pro's 4k upscaled graphics.

https://youtu.be/7JYZDnenaGc

https://youtu.be/bKjSox0uwnk

How to Quickly Check the Chroma Subsampling used by your 4K UHD TV – Geeks3D

BTW, my TV comes with 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling. Hope this helps.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back