unable to understand this speaker terminology

ash147

Hi All

While browsing thru the forum,especially the speakers section I ve come across a few terms very frequently,Frankly speaking I m unable to get the exact meaning of these terms wrt the speakers.They are:

1. Tight Bass
2. Laid Back Speakers
3. Slightly Forward

Pls let me know the meaning of these terms as used wrt the speakers ie when we say laid back speakers what does it really mean.If I visualize a laid back person it could be someone lying on his back on a hammock with his hands behind his head and one leg on top of the other in the formation of the numeral 4.:)

Hi All

While browsing thru the forum,especially the speakers section I ve come across a few terms very frequently,Frankly speaking I m unable to get the exact meaning of these terms wrt the speakers.They are:

1. Tight Bass
2. Laid Back Speakers
3. Slightly Forward

Pls let me know the meaning of these terms as used wrt the speakers ie when we say laid back speakers what does it really mean.If I visualize a laid back person it could be someone lying on his back on a hammock with his hands behind his head and one leg on top of the other in the formation of the numeral 4.:)

Though not expert,

Tight Bass-can be a faster punch,not going really deep below 60Hz.

Laidback-you feel sound is coming from far,instead of spk,some says spk disappears.

Forward- is exactly opposite.You can guess where are the spks.

These things are what you feel,type os expression....

Hi All

1. Tight Bass
2. Laid Back Speakers
3. Slightly Forward

1. Tight bass - check for the term decay on google. The bass note attack and die down quicky (reference only) unlike say in a pub or a disc where the bass is boomy ie.e sound like a dull maybe loud thump, with individual notes hard to distinguish. Try CA540 + ms906 and you will know what tight bass is.Jazz, rock etc are well represented by this feature -so are movies
2. Laid back - typical of most british speakers. Sound (midrange)seems a bit recessed (to some), easy to the ears. Try jamo606 with denon you will know what laid back is. Good for country musi
3. Slightly forward: Try polk tsi + yamaha/marantz - you will know. Slight emphasis on higher part of the spectrum, emphasis on shrillness at times ( voices seem too thin) - often happens due to lesseer emphasis on midrange. Good for hip hop type of music

This is in a nutshell a dummies guide of sorts - for more extensive reading search the internet.

PS: Please understand the bass sometimes is a function of space - a loudspeaker that appears boomy - may change characteristics in a bigger room.

Though not expert,

Tight Bass-can be a faster punch,not going really deep below 60Hz.

Laidback-you feel sound is coming from far,instead of spk,some says spk disappears.

Forward- is exactly opposite.You can guess where are the spks.

These things are what you feel,type os expression....

Thanks for the info.I'll definately search the internet for details.If u don't mind I would like you to pls comment on my audition for Jamos in the link
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/4884-mission-speakers-3.html#post57897.Is the same what u also feel!!

These are poor man's terms to describe the sound quality though there is no one definition as such. It's similar to saying its a 'warm day' - warm means different things to diff people though every one knows it does not mean freezing!

Similarly for tight bass - I use the term to describe the bass from speakers or subs to mean that there is very low distortion, i.e, it reproduces a note and rolls off very quickly. This is a good thing for music but not for HT where you want the sub to extend the bass note to hear/feel the effects such as thunder etc. Accuracy is not that important.

Forward or bright or hot speakers are those that are true to the source or enhance the source in such a way that the mid and high frequencies come out very very clearly compared to the lower freqs.

Laid back speakers don't accentuate or drive higher clarity in the higher ranges. Some people find it dull.

Electronics such as amp also are terms forward/laid back as such.

CA Azur, Rotel are forward where as Arcam, Rega are laid back

Hi All

1. Tight Bass
2. Laid Back Speakers
3. Slightly Forward

Ok dokie. I am not expert, but I have some ideas....here goes:

1. Tight Bass - When the speakers feel heavy, and don't seem to move when you push them!

2. Laid Back Speakers - Normally satellite speakers, which gets laid on it's back when you push them!!

3. Slightly Forward - When you place the speakers little in front of the screen, rather than in line with it!!!

It's so simple you see;)

1. Tight Bass - When the speakers feel heavy, and don't seem to move when you push them!

2. Laid Back Speakers - Normally satellite speakers, which gets laid on it's back when you push them!!

3. Slightly Forward - When you place the speakers little in front of the screen, rather than in line with it!!!

It's so simple you see;)

Heheheheheheh.......:lol::eek:hyeah:

That was a good one.serious discussion interspread with a bit of humor makes this forum an njoyable place to stay on.

It's so simple you see;)

It's so simple you see;)

Good one. I believe the Mod should seriously consider creating a section called "Hifi Jokes" :)

Hi All

1. Tight Bass
2. Laid Back Speakers
3. Slightly Forward

we all start off like this - reading the terminology but not identifying with it. but keep listening to various setups and it'll come to you - when you hear bass that is tight you'll understand what it refers to. similarly for forward / laidback etc etc. a definition is not really going to help unless you have a live example. so if you stay in the hobby long enough you'll learn

i havent understood most terminologies yet, but will give a try at explaining this.....

laid back. - imagine diana krall sitting on a piano singing a song and it comes to you in a smooth comforting (not harsh/ hard hitting?) way...and you feel like relaxing...
if you are not familiar with diana krall then imagine katrina kaif has a sweet voice and is singing to you and you end up having a wide grin on your face;)

forward- imagine iron maiden doing the above...now that would have sounded gay ....rather you would want them to step forward and put the energy of the music right in front of your face..
as far as tight bass goes there is nothing more to add

Accuracy, distortion etc have no influence over these properties in hi-end audio. These are usually a result of the beliefs of the designer of the product or what the marketing team demanded.

Tight bass - defined, clean and detailed bass without any boom or muddiness. Highly recommended for any application. HT or Music. Needs well designed loudspeakers, amplifiers with guts and of course a good room which can reproduce these wave lengths.

Laid back speakers - In budget level speakers these kind of speakers will have rolled off highs and a recessed mid range. In hi-end audio, it is a different story. They will reproduce all frequencies correctly but will give you a middle hall experience rather than a front seat one. Very resolving nonetheless.

Slightly forward :
Low budget gear - highs and mids will be forward. The bass too sometimes.
Hi-end - Very resolving loudspeaker but they give a front seat experience. Most horn loaded speakers fall into this catagory.

A laidback or forward system can be smooth or harsh. This has nothing to do with the presentation chareteristics.

hi, i think for those ,like myself, who listen to all kinds of songs including classical,hindi movies, indi pop,western pop, soft rock,instrumental etc these terms(except tight bass) have little meaning . The recording varies. So on one song it may sound laid back,on other it may be bright. Tight bass has definite meaning. If you can experiment on a percussion instrument say bass drum,play it with tuning to a particular frequency & then loosen the drum skin a bit & strike it. You will hear difference between tight bass & loose bass. It becomes ill defined(muddy)& out of tune.

Last edited:
if you are not familiar with diana krall then imagine katrina kaif has a sweet voice and is singing to you and you end up having a wide grin on your face;)

worst piece of description I have ever come across - I hope you were just trying to be funny and not actually trying to make a point. And BTW regarding the sweet voice - someone who has spend her life in UK, having a false UK accent and pathetic hindi rendition - singing (i hope you meant in hindi) to us would make our soluls crawl in disgust IMHO :p

worst piece of description I have ever come across - I hope you were just trying to be funny and not actually trying to make a point. And BTW regarding the sweet voice - someone who has spend her life in UK, having a false UK accent and pathetic hindi rendition - singing (i hope you meant in hindi) to us would make our soluls crawl in disgust IMHO :p

ok, it neednt be her but any good looking brood that you like :).....afterall, its "imagine katrina kaif has a sweet voice".....

Hi All those who have contributed to my query

Thanks a lot.Now I have got a better idea on these terminologies.I listened to a couple of speakers keeping in mind the descriptions provided by all of u and was able to relate the speaker output.
As rightly mentioned by one of the members that experience will provide more clarity on these terms.
Once again thanks to all of you who have contributed.I would like to close this thread unless anyone else has some query on this.:)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back