"UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE amp

trittya

The PUNJAB (whats left of it) & Delhi, India
Greetings All,
I finally got delivery of this radiogram about two hours ago.
I'm afraid this one is going to need a lot of technical and aesthetic advice from forum members into this kind of thing.
Its a beauty, no doubt but, for one, cannot make out anything of the innards. Have uploaded the pics here, so that you can see for yourself, what its all about.

http://img808.imageshack.us/g/p1010243ua.jpg/

ImageShack Album - 41 images

Looking forward to the indispensable advice of all Gurus here. shall be most indebted for the same.
Regards

Last edited:
Re: "UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE

Hi Trittya,

Man, its in bad shape! All the best with your restoration endeavour :)

Can only think of a gentleman called nraghunadh in our forum from Hyderabad Who also restored a vintage Dynaco ST70 Tube Amp. Maybe he can be of help to you, send him a PM.
Foll is the link to his pics of restoration progress:
https://picasaweb.google.com/nraghunadh/MyDynakitST70Restoration?authkey=Gv1sRgCNaO0c7wibePmwE#

regards

Re: "UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE

Looks similar to the Philips Radio which is lying on the attic of my Mom's place.

This thing will test your perseverance. I see lots of dismantled parts, Bulb has come off, Coil on ferrite rod has come off, IF Transformer (Aluminium box) shows lots of corrosion. Tuning dial cord has come loose. after all is done it will require tuning of stations. which may result in hardened adjustable tuning screws breaking off. TT I think you better replace it with other working garrard TT. All in all a job for pro. So if you desperately want it restored ...
1) first thing is to find the right person in your home town.
2) vaccum clean or air blow dust on it ( So as person who may agree to repair/restore it doesn't back off seeing it.
3) corroded parts can be salvaged from other dead radios and TTs.
4) restoration and repairing will take of lots time and money so be prepared for it.
5) ebay UK (as they have same voltage as us) some times do sell Smaller Size radiograms so if your budget permits look for them.
Example : Ferguson Radiogram model 391T RG in Full Working Order! | eBay UK

Why did you not ever think of restoring it, then?
Give it a go, I would say.
Thank you for the suggestion I thought about it before; but after restoration, I don't have enough place in Chennai to keep it. If I leave it there, it would go back to its original state.

Trittya sirji, all the best for your restoration. Knowing you, you will restore this to originality at the earliest. We had a Phillips radiogram when I was a small kid, your radiogram brings back fond memories of it. It used to be centerpiece in our drawing room then - pre television days.

Trittya dada,

Nice find and all the best for the restoration process. I have seen this radiogram with one of our Tea estate manager in working condition. However he is no longer at Assam gone to Tanzania for better prospects(money :D:D). I myself have a Bush ampligram and also a radiogram albeit transistorised. regarding the Gerard TT do let me know maybe I can arrange one auto changer for you.

lifewater

Trittya sirji, all the best for your restoration. Knowing you, you will restore this to originality at the earliest. We had a Phillips radiogram when I was a small kid, your radiogram brings back fond memories of it. It used to be centerpiece in our drawing room then - pre television days.

Hey Santhosh
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words.
I have similar reasons for this restoration.
JUST hope it happens. . .
@ All HFV tube and full-range-driver Gurus
What do you think of those 6 odd tubes out there?
Methinx, two for the radio section and two each for the pre and power section?
Lets not forget that this piece was marketed at a time when stereo was a USP, so it ought to be a stereo valve amp, IMHO.
Whatsay you, Chaps?
Regards as ever

Trittya dada,

Nice find and all the best for the restoration process. I have seen this radiogram with one of our Tea estate manager in working condition. However he is no longer at Assam gone to Tanzania for better prospects(money :D:D). I myself have a Bush ampligram and also a radiogram albeit transistorised. regarding the Gerard TT do let me know maybe I can arrange one auto changer for you.

lifewater

Dear 'Bhaitee'
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. BTW, I have very fond memories of the Assamese tea gardens, albeit more so in lower assam. Miss that life, man.
I very much appreciate your offer and request you to kindly PM me your mob no at your earliest convenience.
Regards

See if you can touch base with Mr. Viren @Lyrita, Delhi.

I know he has helped with restorations.

Also, there is a Dr. Garg, Ghaziabad, who can also come up with pointers.

Dear 'Bhaitee'
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. BTW, I have very fond memories of the Assamese tea gardens, albeit more so in lower assam. Miss that life, man.
I very much appreciate your offer and request you to kindly PM me your mob no at your earliest convenience.
Regards

PM sent dada

lifewater

Greetings All,
I finally got delivery of this radiogram about two hours ago.
I'm afraid this one is going to need a lot of technical and aesthetic advice from forum members into this kind of thing.
Its a beauty, no doubt but, for one, cannot make out anything of the innards. Have uploaded the pics here, so that you can see for yourself, what its all about.

ImageShack Album - 2 images

ImageShack Album - 41 images

Looking forward to the indispensable advice of all Gurus here. shall be most indebted for the same.
Regards
No I dont think so this is possible in India, Valves are not available, record changer parts are also not available in usa this can be restored to its past glory

Hi Trittya,

PM Rajiv on the forum. He's a DIY guy who has restored and keeps restoring stuff. He should be able to guide to as to what capacitor to replace, wiring, tubes etc.

Can you post up close pictures of the tubes? They should have some marking on them. From far the small tubes look like the 5Y/G GZ family and the tall ones like el34s. A closer pic would help. The tubes should be working else you could certainly get replacements from ebay easily.

Regards

hi dear
nice to c ur restoration
i to have a philips stereo model valve radio with garard record changer
changer is working but the radio tuning thread is broken my valve mech is busy with other
work can fix other time
so enjoy

Dada

My Father has a RadioGram....This is an excellent combination of Garrad Turntable and Siemens Radio, enclosed in an elegant rosewood unit...in working condition... This is a collectible item and dated 1950s... He also has vinyl LP records too...Interested person may immediaely contact my father A.S. Gopalachari on 9043625606, chennai... he wantes to sell this...

Dada

My Father has a RadioGram....This is an excellent combination of Garrad Turntable and Siemens Radio, enclosed in an elegant rosewood unit...in working condition... This is a collectible item and dated 1950s... He also has vinyl LP records too...Interested person may immediaely contact my father A.S. Gopalachari on 9043625606, chennai... he wantes to sell this...

Ahem Ahem sale in this forum !! with personal details

Hey..I also have an old radiogram..looks like big cupboard and having radio and seven LP changer..which i wish to get restored.Anybody plz help me suggest me some good technician in Mumbai..

Gentlemen
Thanks for all the help.
Really appreciate it a lot. Well, the radiogram is in delhi but I am in Darjeeling now. Getting back towards the end of this month. Will keep you posted on progress in addition to clicking snaps of the amp-radio and tubes once dismantled and cleaned.

Regards, All

hello, the set u've got is phillips B6CA97A model of 1964. If u need help i've got the cct diagram etc. regards.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back