"UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE amp

Re: "UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE

hi trittya, its not a stereo. It has E series of nine pin valves (BEL make).

Re: "UNDER-RESTORATION" vintage PHILIPS Radiogram with GARRARD RC-121 TT & BC6A VALVE

Its not stereo. But its first of HiFi models with valves. the valves are nine pin E series BEL make. Give me a lil time and i shall take out the cct diagram. If u need help u may look up to me. regards.

If u need help in repair, i can guide u.

hello, the set u've got is phillips B6CA97A model of 1964. If u need help i've got the cct diagram etc. regards.

hi trittya, its not a stereo. It has E series of nine pin valves (BEL make).

Its not stereo. But its first of HiFi models with valves. the valves are nine pin E series BEL make. Give me a lil time and i shall take out the cct diagram. If u need help u may look up to me. regards.

If u need help in repair, i can guide u.

Dear Venkyts,

Profound apologies for the lack of response on my part
and
Sincere gratitude for your kind offer.

Yes, I am indeed more than willing to be your "shishya" (student) in this regard.
Do drop me a line if you are still inclined.

Do bear with me as I was away from the forum for a loooooooong time.
Warm Regards

Last edited:

good to see ya back tritts!

call me from your new number... gotta catch up on lots and lots!

My two cents advice is not to get into a restoration project on this one. This is has nothing of significance to restore. The changer and the tube radio here are not collector material. The cabinet does not look an outstanding one either.

I may sound negative but one needs to check if the effort is worth or not. This piece is in pretty bad shape. The other option is to replace the radio and the changer to a better one after fixing and polishing the cabinet.

YMMV.

hi tritya,
its a bueaty of a piece. it is worth restoring.
i hv the same with me albiet, bought originally by my dad in 64. it is repairable and i'll help u do tht. regards.
venky

hi tritya,
i hv the same with me albiet, bought originally by my dad in 64. it is repairable and i'll help u do tht. regards.
venky
email - [email protected]

good to see ya back tritts!

call me from your new number... gotta catch up on lots and lots!

Thanks a lot, Manav. Will call you this evening. Same here, feels great to be back.

My two cents advice is not to get into a restoration project on this one. This is has nothing of significance to restore. The changer and the tube radio here are not collector material. The cabinet does not look an outstanding one either.

I may sound negative but one needs to check if the effort is worth or not. This piece is in pretty bad shape. The other option is to replace the radio and the changer to a better one after fixing and polishing the cabinet.

YMMV.

Dear Anilva,
Thanks a lot for your advice. No, I dont think you sound negative, only that you are looking at it from a different perspective. My reason for getting this shipped all the way from Mumbai was that my family owned this piece till I was about six years old. Thereafter, it got stolen during transit by rail when our luggage was moving from Kolkata to Srinagar. I got my folks to ascertain that its the same model from the pics in the Classified ad. I was slightly apprehensive of having barked up the wrong tree but, I am more sanguine after reading these posts by FM venkyts here. So I guess we should give it a go. What say thou?

hi tritya,
venky

Thanks a lot, mate. Truly appreciate your indulgence. May I request you to forward your contact No to me via PM. I did try to PM you last night but there was no "send PM" provision on your profile.
@ ALL, Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Dear mr.Venky

I also need to restore the B6CA97A philps radiogram. All i need is Valves and the speaker cloth. Other parts are as fresh as they were. Out of curiosity i removed all the valves now in a state of confusion where to fix the right one. Kindly help me please. Turntable works fine , got it serviced in chennai, radio was fine till i removed the valves. Please help me.
regards
Srinivasan.m
[email protected]

Dear trittya the radio part restoration not a big problem if IFT and Audio transformer are ok . All valve are available on ebay.I am recently restore my BUSH EU51 radio
which is 45 years old.First find the circuit diagram of radio then check all resistor (carbon composite) you will find all value are changed replace them with metal flim and changed all electrolytic capacitor
and also check all Hunts Mouldseal capacitors. For other help try UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum :):)

hi trittya,
tried 2 accept ur freind request. but not happening. my contact no is 09676474925. do not hesitate to call up. i can give you the technical support such as the schematics etc and also guide you.
regards
venky

hi trittya,
my contact no is 09676474925. i do not know hw tyo use this site for messages as yet. pardon my ignorance. my e-mail id is [email protected]
regards
venky

This is an early 60's model. Around that time Philips was suffering a midlife crisis and often came out with some odd ball designs. This radio is one of them.

1. Output Transformer less design. The speaker will have an impedance of 600 ohms.
2. It is a plano model. High and Low audio frequencies are produced by two separate amps using 2 x EL86 tubes. Kind of bi amplification
3. The IFT frequency is 452 Khz. In your pics the IFT looks suspect. I am sure it is damaged internally.
4. The copper coil you see has fallen lose from a ferrite rod. Its not ordinary rod. You can rotate the ferrite via a knob for best orientation and receiving of MW signal. Its called a Ferroceptor. In your radio this device is missing. Try to locate it.

As rightly pointed by Mr venky, it is not stereo despite the appearance. But the sound quality will be approaching hi fi standards thanks to the transformer-less output stage and the biampli design.

Can it be restored to its full glory? Certainly provided the IFT's, tuning condencer and coils are ok, and you are able to recover those magnificent 600ohm alnico speakers. Under normal circumstance these radios wont have a great collector value. However, considering it is/was a family treasure I think its worthwhile. It wont cost you a lot of money for sure. But start looking out for a donor set for parts to make the task easier.

As for the changer I wouldnt bother too much with it. Perhaps you can simply retrofit a better changer/TT.

Just a word of caution. These radios have High voltages running thro them. Dont just plug it into a wall socket. That PSU condenser is a bomb waiting to explode. Take an informed decision. In case of doubt walk away from it, preferable towards a technician who has worked on these radios. There are still plenty of them alive. He should also have a RF signal generator to align the radio. Prior to contacting a technician, you can do a thro cleaning.

1. Vacuum/Blow out the grime
2. Cleaning with a petrol using hard and soft brush. Let it air dry for a couple of day after that. I dunk the chassis in a couple of liter of petrol for cleaning

Even the dirtiest radio chassis can look nice after a clean. This is what I did to the last one that came my way.

On a tub for cleaning

Before

After

Last edited:

Hi,

This is an early 60's model. Around that time Philips was suffering a midlife crisis and often came out with some odd ball designs. This radio is one of them...................
...........Even the dirtiest radio chassis can look nice after a clean. This is what I did to the last one that came my way.

On a tub for cleaning

Ashok, its great to see your post after a long time.

Regards
Rajiv

Excellent restoration aks07.
What did you do with ferrite rod ? Didn't it required realignment of coil to get proper stations ? A difficult task these days.
Regards

Hi,
Ashok, its great to see your post after a long time.
Regards
Rajiv

Hello Rajiv - My extremely humble, knowledgeable and dear friend.

Yes it has been a tumultuous couple of years so far for me. Both at personal and professional levels.

Good to read your informative posts. I have a lot of catching up and things pending to you.

Excellent restoration aks07.
What did you do with ferrite rod ? Didn't it required realignment of coil to get proper stations ? A difficult task these days.
Regards

Dear Sir

No the alignment is easy if using an RF generator. In its absence, one can use the test tone signal from the local MW station. Usually they air a test tone prior to starting each session. You know the frequency of the station. Easy to align with that information. The only inconvenience is that you have to be ready at the time of transmission start.

The biggest issue with old valve radios is the past repairs by untrained servicemen. Usually, their first port of call is the IFT as it is easy to fiddle with all those tuning screws. Sure guarantee to break the innards of IFT which is the single most difficult part to find.

hi trittya,
hope you received the cct diagram i sent for you. dont worry bout the values of the resistors or the capacitors for now. Most of the things aks 07 says is true.but dont hv to worry bout the voltages which are in the ranges of 280 on the ht line. just try to get all the connections correct as per the diagram first without switching on the set. if you have problem, i'll try to send you the layout of how the wiring looks on the chasis and under it section by section to aid you.You need to get some help to discharge the high voltage can capacitor. do this much and come back if you dont get any technician alive to repair the valve sets. all the best and regards.
venky

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back