Under speakers...

yes + amplitude of vibrations.
regds
addition : since speaker vibrations will be less a soft pad can be used to experiment. (types used in mouse pads perhaps ? )

@Fiftyfifty - I apologise for posting my question here - as starting a new thread for such a small query was a waste of forum space. The intent is not to hijack the thread :)

How much clearance I should have for heat dissipation if I want to place the center channel over the AVR? Is 1 inch good enough? Would it be enough to allow the AVR to let out heat effectively? Right now the AVR has a full 8 inches on top and the back and front of the cabinet are open. The sides have 2.3 inches each - and it has never heated to the point that is hot, slightly warm but never hot.

A few days ago I came across these el cheapo rubber feet in all shapes and sizes on the pavement outside CST station. They looked and felt quite rugged. Perhaps some of them can be used underneath a subwoofer or speaker.
View attachment 65937
I have tried most of the things in the pic including the square-shaped ones (bar type). None of them improved the sound, rather spoilt the sound. Initially, I believed it improved the sound but later after so much of critical listening, removed them.

The vertical directivity of most (non-concentric) driver based multiway speakers is relatively narrow around the mid-tweeter crossover regions. When we put isolation feet under the speaker, if we are sitting closer to the speaker (especially in near field applications), this would mean that by the raising the speaker we are moving away/closer to the recommended vertical angles (an example is the tweeter axis) our ears should be at for listening to a particular speaker. In the extreme case, one can end up listening to directivity "ditches" around crossover frequency. This may cause drastic variation in the sound of the speaker depending on our ear location, crossover topology and crossover frequencies. One may like it or not. So for before and after sound comparisons strictly from improvements in vibration isolation point of view, please try to keep ears at the same height w.r.t the speaker as the "before putting feet" scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried most of the things in the pic including the square-shaped ones (bar type). None of them improved the sound, rather spoilt the sound. Initially, I believed it improved the sound but later after so much of critical listening, removed them.
Did you try the pink blocks too !! ;)

Attachments

• 1641737744233.jpg
    1641737744233.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 14
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back