Unflattering review of Bryston 7BSST2

sidvee

Guys - Stereophile's Michael Fremer gave a less than glowing review of the Bryston 7BSST2 monoblock amps in the jan 2010 issue. Interesting - considering the fact that they cost $8400 and that Bryston is the 800lb gorilla of the high powered amp market.
Cheers
Sid

Well am not surprised in the least.
I still have an old 4BST that 'works' but the newer gear shows the confusion/clutter in the company think tank. They should have stuck to making a reliable tank as there were guys sworn to them.
I like the Bryston sound with some speakers though but I would not buy another one.
Incidently the 14B & 28B have got some great reviews so I wonder what the reviewer felt is amiss in these monoblocks.
Rgds

Bryston is amongst the most boring amps I've ever heard - cold and sterile is what I'd describe it as and no bass impact like someone mentioned.

Incidently the 14B & 28B have got some great reviews so I wonder what the reviewer felt is amiss in these monoblocks.
Rgds

Apparently the first units units reviewed had some issue with the transformers, so Mike asked for a fresh sample with new transformers which he said was better but his conclusion was:
"If I owned a pair of 7BSST's, I'd make sure to find out whether they contained the old or new transformers. The improvement produced by the new transformers was significant................
But while the better of the two pairs of Brystons always sounded pleasant, they rarely sounded exiciting......
But overall, the Bryston's presentation lacked the microdynamics I was used to from the Musical fidelity Titan
Against the Parasound Halo JC1's - The Parasounds bass was deeper, tighter and better controlled, yet not overdamped, so that textures were fully resolved and rythm'n'pacing were far more nimble. Image specificity was greater and dimensionality was more fully expressed. Transients were faster and more effervescent while being free of artificial etch etc. etc."
His final conclusion - The bryston offers a lot of good clean power, ultra low distortion, superb build at a good price - but before buying listen to the competiton.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Thanks Sid.
Actually some like this overdamped bass. I like the control a Bryston brings when I crank the volume on the B&Ws. My old ST could do with some refinement but then the newer SST2 has too many niggles for my liking. Imagine Bryston sending amps for review with faulty transformers!!!! How do these guys manage to give a 20 year warranty? Is this their strongest selling point?
Rgds

Bryston is amongst the most boring amps I've ever heard - cold and sterile is what I'd describe it as and no bass impact like someone mentioned.

x2. I once heard a couple of big money monoblock Brystons at Prithvi's place with some Proac floorstanders. Just totaly lifeless. Never did bother to look at another Bryston again.

Well - I am happy to be plonking down some hard earned cash on the the Odyssey Stratos Extreme then. I had briefly considerd the 3bSST2.
Cheers
Sid

Audio-engr , not really sure about the symphonic line, but the higher end odyssey - I believe Kismet bases at 1.5lac (in stratos chassis)and if I am not mistaken the new chassis (which i hear is awesome) is around 1.7lac. So I am assuming that the SL picks up from here and kindof overlaps the kismet line. Can't really justify that outlay right-now as I already have 3 or 4 amps and 3 or 4 preamps jostling for air time:eek:hyeah:. I plan to consolidate but as you know used market for mid to high end for audio equipment in India is almost non-existent:sad:, regardless I have heard the odyssey stratos in various audio shows and within the context of my current system I believe the extreme version will satisfy my upgradeitis for the near future.
Cheers
Sid

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back