Upconversion doubt

rejeeb

Hi All,

I was going through various features available in the latest Yamaha xx7 series.

Only the 667 and above supports the following features.

1) Analog Video to HDMI Upconversion
2) HDMI to HDMI Upscaling
3) Component Video Upconversion

How useful/important are these features in choosing the receiver?

Thx

It would depend on a number of factors. What size is your TV? If it is 32" or smaller, then probably it does not matter. 40" or bigger then maybe it matters. It would also depend on the quality of upscaling/upconversion done by the receiver. The TV itself has Upscaling/upconversion capability (Usually, the receivers are expected to do it better).

The other question: what are your viewing habits? I assume that it would be satellite tv and dvds. Some DVD players have decent upconversion/upscaling : If you have a good upscaling DVD player - then ur DVDs are taken care of. If you are particular about watching TV channels, then the upscale/upconversion comes into picture.

Bottomline: If the TV size is 40" or bigger and you watch a lot of Satellite/cable television and DVDs (assuming you do not have an upscaling DVD player), then these features make sense.

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
Right now I've a 29" CRT, but very soon I would be upgrading to 40" LCD.
I've Pioneed DV 220K player, as per manual it supports upconversion/upscaling.
I've normal cable tv connection (no DTH).

Upscaling is always advisable, SD DTH upscaling does not make much of a difference what ever may be the size of the TV, DVD does. So if its like you would be playing loads of DVD, feature becomes important. Upconversion is adviced if you have couple of Non HDMI sources to connect to your LCD via AVR, which is a rarity today (as most of the gadgets and A/V equipment comes with HDMI) else you can skip up conversion feature......

Hope this helps ....

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
Right now I've a 29" CRT, but very soon I would be upgrading to 40" LCD.
I've Pioneed DV 220K player, as per manual it supports upconversion/upscaling.
I've normal cable tv connection (no DTH).

My experience in using the AVR to upscale has not been great...I found that my TV (LG LH90) does a better job of upscaling than my AVR (Denon 1910) for SD content from STBs..or my source (Cambridge Audio DVD99) for DVDs...my ranking is as follows-LH90>DV99>DENON 1910.

My Experience on a 32 inch LCD with Denon 1911 has not been good.. I can hardly feel any difference when connected to Tata Sky box..

My experience in using the AVR to upscale has not been great...I found that my TV (LG LH90) does a better job of upscaling than my AVR (Denon 1910) for SD content from STBs..or my source (Cambridge Audio DVD99) for DVDs...my ranking is as follows-LH90>DV99>DENON 1910.

I agree with you. My Panny PV8 plasma does a better job of upscaling than Denon 1611. Source is Tata Sky with composite video out.

I agree with you. My Panny PV8 plasma does a better job of upscaling than Denon 1611. Source is Tata Sky with composite video out.

Denon 1611 AFAIK does not have neither upscaling not up conversion feature, infact 1610 for what ever reason only has Analogue to HDMI upconversion to only 480p.

Only DENON 1910 onwards do we have proper upscaling/upconversion to 1080p

In addition to what Sam has said, 29 and 32 inches are not the right sizes to evaluate a scaler. You should use a minimum 42 inches and FullHD TV.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back