Upgradation of speakers within Rs. 120k

Dear friend I am looking for FS, Center and Sub in 100k. No surround as I will continue to use the old one.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

For Movies I believe the best bang for the buck are Polk RtiA7 for the front a DW660 sub and a Polk center. For Music though you will have to get better,in fact fir music you can't do with that AVR in the first place,tou will have to go stereo. Otherwise though you will spend a lac you'll still be neither here nor there.

Yesterday auditions
KEF Q500 - One of the best sounding speaker from yet audition.Not bright not warm just a natural. Mid to high frequencies are smoother while low end lacks the punch and extension. Subwoofer is required for fuller sound.
Polk T50 - Surprised with the speakers sound signature, they are more on warmer side than brighter as usual characteristic of Polk sound. Lacks clarity and details but more than enough bass. A value for money product. Better then Polk Tsx series but build quality is average compare to others Polk products.

Dear FM , Please help me between Wharfdale Diamond 230 & Diamond 220c and Boston Acoustics A360 & A225c Will be pair with Denon AVR 2113. Those FM who own or audition these speakers, Please give input.

Yesterday took audition of Boston Acoustic A360, Taga Azure F-100 and Mission MX-3 with Marantz PM 6005 amplifier.
Boston Acoustic A360
The real strength of this speakers is mid range and low end. Low end is deep and powerful. You will not only hear but can also feel. Mid range is lively and juicy with Vokals floating in the air.Has a great stereo image and vokal dynamic. Hi frequencies are a bit laid back and lacks crispness.
Taga Azure F-100
Very balance and natural tone slightly leaning towards warmer sound. Sufficient bass ,Good clearity and details with non fatigue listening but little monotonous. Look like Paradigm Prestige series and well built.
Mission MX-3
Small footprint, tight and agile bass, average mid to high frequency response. Dealer suggested to go for MX-5 to compare with above speakers.
Now last speaker left in my list Monitor Audio MR6. Already have a talk with dealer, will audition next week . Any suggestions on Boston Acoustic A360 and Monitor Audio MR6 is welcome. Will be pair them with Denon AVR 2113.

Dear FM thanks for your valuable advice and help. I have purchased Boston Acoustic A360 from MZ Audio,Mumbai for just 33k with bill and warranty. For Surround I preferred to purchase Monitor Audio BXFX from FM. My present JBL Center is working fine and will replace it soon with Boston Acoustic Center. Speakers are not yet install will let you know details later.

What Subwoofer you're pairing them with ?

Kindly review BA 360 ; it has a great reviews in audioholics etc, we're probably ignoring it because of the low price point it is being offered in India (this is the problem with our thinking "cheap isn't good" ) . Internationally it is in the same price bracket as Monitor audio and Wharfedale diamond series and has been rated equally well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The MRP is 55k. I have audition most speakers in that range like WD 230, MA MR6, Dali Zenser 5, Polk RTiA 5, Heco victa prime 702, Tannoy Mercury v7, Elac F5 etc ( below 60k) Build quality is at par with all mentioned above and value for money product. As far as audition is consultant I have audition them with Marantz PMA6006 and SR5010. Warm and balanced sound with clear vocals and powerful low end but lacking micro details in upper end. How they will work with my Denon is a big deal for me.Presently using existing JBL Subwoofer and Center. Will upgrade center first and then sub.

1cca40e7942e3ce12901ea7757e4ada8.jpg
daf03006f3b31a7cd5afb329e292b44b.jpg
ea59e60cd0bca86e45c57a480226275f.jpg
b0629658cbf018c1bed3f1c4b8caffc7.jpg
20a646f8e64262cea968c407eb243566.jpg
0ee42d3218c50622f1c9b5b8472e6906.jpg

Received in last week , Just open and connected, will send detail review once fully break in. Dealer suggested at least 60 Hrs time. Now connected to Denon AVR 2113. Initial impressions is you can listen then all day without ear fatigue. Definitely works better with Marantz amplifier than Denon. Maybe work better with Denon also as time progresses.

Received in last week , Just open and connected, will send detail review once fully break in. Dealer suggested at least 60 Hrs time. Now connected to Denon AVR 2113. Initial impressions is you can listen then all day without ear fatigue. Definitely works better with Marantz amplifier than Denon. Maybe work better with Denon also as time progresses.

You've started with a good budget at 1.2L and ended up saving more than 2/3rd of your budget. Which is quite uncommon in this forum, its actually other way round mostly. Congratulations on your well informed purchase decision and thanks for sharing very minute details about the speakers you've auditioned. Few querries

1. What made you decide in favour of Boston A 360 especially when compared its pricier counterparts?
( Actually Indian prices are cheaper than elsewhere for Bostons, that's how its compared to MA bronze series in international reviews). I know they're quite underrated speakers and ignored in India but with the experience of owning BA 26, I know what they're capable of.

2. You had shortlisted F7 and Paradigm Monitor 9 which I found quite reasonable and VFM. How did the Bostons improve upon the above models?

3. How does a denon and BA 360 combo perform generally?

BA 360 fronts, BA 26 Surrounds and 225C centre would be a good deal for 5.0 under 60k budget. With the sufficient LF response of these combo you can postpone the Subwoofer purchase for quite some time till the budget permits. I feel this should be in the checklist of every HT buyer on budget.

Initially started hunt for the five speaker in the budget of 120k with allocated 70k for FS, 20k for center and 30k for surround speakers. It took me around four months from initial audition to final purchase. Between these four months journey, I learned a lot about speakers, their characteristic , able differentiate between the two speakers sound quality and my preference to sound. I feel that I like warm speakers more than bright so my inclination was more towards warm sounding speakers.
Top contender in my list were
1. Paradigm Monitor 9 - 90k
Twice audition these speakers. First with Denon AVR x2000. Initially Couldn't audition seriesly as speakers were out of my budget . Just audition as are connected to Denon AVR. Sounded fuller and powerful.
Second audition with Anthem MRX 510. Unbelievable performance exactly what I was expecting from floor standing speakers. Listen in Stereo as well as multi channel mode. Deep and powerful bass with low end extension is as good as active sub. Mid bass was forceful with vocals were just gliding in air . High end was clear and chrisp. Later on concluded that Anthems contribution is more in the sound signature as it is already a 5 star rated AVR and definately in different league of AVR than mass oriented AVR from Denon,Onkyo,Yamaha.
2. Elac F5. 56k
Audition Elac F5 with Denon AVR x4000.
Warm sounding speaker with tight and agile bass but limited low end extension definately need a fast , powerful and quality Subwoofer to match with F5 for fuller sound. Relatively more balanced in mid to high frequency. Vocals are lively and high end is detail. Soundstage is wide and can listen each and every instrument distinctly. Sensitivity is poor 85db. So need a powerful AVR. Can't bring best from these speakers with entry-level or mid level AVR.
3. Monitor Audio Branze 5 - 75k.
Slender and sleek speakers with exceptionally good build quality. Can be easily last for more than 2 decades. Audition with Pioneer VSX 9xx series AVR . These speakers change my perception that speakers needs to give good low end. Exceptionally good mid to high frequency response with average low end. Low end was neither deep nor powerful. But mid to high frequency where these speakers shine like a star. Vocals are life like with audible vocal dynamics and center image. High frequencies are Crystal clear with lots of details. Very good sound stage with speakers vanishes and act just like the front stage of singer and musicians. If couple with good Subwoofer can give performance same like a live show.
4. Boston Acoustic A360 - MRP 55k
Twice audition with Marantz PMA6006 and then with SR 5010.
Universally acclaimed but Very underrated speakers in India with build quality and performance is at par with that of similar price speakers of international brand. A notch ahade of similar price Polk,Jamo, Taga etc. Natural and balanced sounding speakers does not add anything from self. Just give sound what amplifier wants to. Sound signature towards warmer side with little emphasis on low end as music demands. With Marantz PMA6006 , just sounded lively and juicy, but with AVR( Marantz/Denon) fall little short on performance. Huge soundstage with each instrument get its own place. Mid range and vocals are natural and does not fall short or underpowered. Vocal dynamic are very good with female vocals stood out distinctly. High frequencies fall little short compare to low and mid. Micro details and chrispness in high frequencies are not missing but fall short on performance scale but this should not be deciding factor as they are sufficiently present.
Comparison
Bass is not deep and powerful like Paradigm Monitor 9 but it is fast and forceful. Mid bass is not tight and agile like Elac F5 but speedy and on the spot. Mid range and vocals are natural and tonally balance but far below of Monitor Audio Bronze 5. Soundstage is huge then Monitor Audio but center image is poor than Monitor Audio. No comparison between high frequencies details and clearity between BA and MA and No comparison between low end power and extension between BA and MA.
Purchased Boston Acoustic for
1. Tonally balance and natural response.
2. Warm sound signature so can listen for longer time without ear fatigue or headache.
3. No need of Subwoofer for stereo listening.
4. Well built quality with high glossy black finish can match with any decor.
5. Very high on value for money
6. Huge discount from dealer.

Good comparative analysis, Somehow MA Bronze didn't impress me anytime, other than for the brilliant vocals it delivers.
I had A&B comparison (though unfair) between Polk RTI A5 and BA26 at home, Polks were quite ahead in most respects except for slightly better base response from BA26. Sound resolution was much better with Polks probably their Bright signature had a undeniable advantage in Movies.

Paradigm Monitor 9 series are in a totally different league altogether, I felt them to be much better than more pricier speakers like Rethm Bhaava or Kef Q900 , Wharfdale Jade 5, Polk A9s, B&W 683 etc

A 360 should be sounding more fuller in all respects over BA26 so it is a good buy considering the options and unbeatable VFM.

Actually that board on which TV is placed is designed by my wife, so there were very less possibility to alter the design. While watching movies, I make speakers placement such that there will be equal distance from TV to speakers. I just pull right speakers by one and half feet to right side.
It's unfair to compare little BA A26 with mighty Polk RTiA 5. You can compare with RTiA 3. Again everything come down to speakers sound signature. Polks are leaning towards brighter sound.
Meanwhile BA A360 are slowly opening . Now they are much better than earlier days. Mid to high frequencies are becoming more clear and detailed. Soundstage is becoming wider and center image is becoming stronger day by day. You can easily listen new musical notes in songs which were earlier missed.

Back