Upgrade Impulse: Marantz AVR or AMP for Pioneer FS52

gurujee

Hi

It is certainly wrong time to get into upgrade route amidst this pandemic with stocks everywhere running low and prices high. But I can't help it. It is a bug.

My basic existing setup - Pioneer AVR 524, Fs52, Center and Surround Yamaha ns20 Satellites, 6.5 inch ported Yamaha sw50, Pioneer BDP 150, Signature Acoustic Bluetooth receiver. I started with the 5.1 Yamaha package and replaced the fronts with FS52 few years ago.

For movies, I am somewhat satisfied but I want to improve the sound quality for music. and I don't like the sound of Pioneer for music. I don't like bright sounds, but the sound produced by Pioneer while playing music is too cold. Moreover, I think the FS52 is not being used to its full potential.

I have plans to change the AVR, Subwoofer and centre speaker in future. But step by step.

For now, I want to replace the AVR only. Here where I have dilemma. I have read many times that a stereo amp is always better when it comes to 2.0 stereo listening. Hence, I have 2 options -

- get Marantz pm6006, hook up Fs52 and settle it as stereo-only setup. Get two more satellites for the movie setup.
or
- get Marantz nr1509 for the existing set up

My music source is primarily Apple Music, TuneIn, RadioTunes streaming from Phone.

People say that Stereo amps shine with high-res uncompressed music which I am not planning to use. Hence, the confusion - to get best bang for bucks. The upgrade budget is 40k for AVR/Amp. My room dimension is 12x12 with a narrow passage of 3x8 feet leading to attached bathroom.

Need your expert guidance.:)

Hi

It is certainly wrong time to get into upgrade route amidst this pandemic with stocks everywhere running low and prices high. But I can't help it. It is a bug.

My basic existing setup - Pioneer AVR 524, Fs52, Center and Surround Yamaha ns20 Satellites, 6.5 inch ported Yamaha sw50, Pioneer BDP 150, Signature Acoustic Bluetooth receiver. I started with the 5.1 Yamaha package and replaced the fronts with FS52 few years ago.

For movies, I am somewhat satisfied but I want to improve the sound quality for music. and I don't like the sound of Pioneer for music. I don't like bright sounds, but the sound produced by Pioneer while playing music is too cold. Moreover, I think the FS52 is not being used to its full potential.

I have plans to change the AVR, Subwoofer and centre speaker in future. But step by step.

For now, I want to replace the AVR only. Here where I have dilemma. I have read many times that a stereo amp is always better when it comes to 2.0 stereo listening. Hence, I have 2 options -

- get Marantz pm6006, hook up Fs52 and settle it as stereo-only setup. Get two more satellites for the movie setup.
or

My music source is primarily Apple Music, TuneIn, RadioTunes streaming from Phone.

People say that Stereo amps shine with high-res uncompressed music which I am not planning to use. Hence, the confusion - to get best bang for bucks. The upgrade budget is 40k for AVR/Amp. My room dimension is 12x12 with a narrow passage of 3x8 feet leading to attached bathroom.

Hi,

it is difficult to answer your question. Your AVR has all the bells and whistles except Dolby atmos. Hence if u are not going for atmos, keep your AVR as is. As far as music is concerned you can go for an amp but your speakers though not very efficient should be easy to drive given the room size of 12 x 12. Before you spend anything try tinkering with internal AVR settings as well as room acoustics. Also try to use different sources for music and see the change. If not then try an integrated like Norge which will come for 8-10k and then see the change. But you should go for integrated only after the 3 steps above- AVR settings; room sound treatment and source of music. Just my 2 cents based on many years of tinkering.

Hi

or

Marantz pm6006 and Marantz AVRs sound almost the same with next to no discernible difference. You must have a system that is resolute enough to be able to tell the difference. I am powering a pair of Quad S5s /Wharfedale Evo 4.2s/Kef Q350s with a PM6006/SR6013 and except for the Quads, i cant tell the difference with my other speakers. Also, the improvement is next to negligible with the pm6006 over the sr6013 even when powering the quads and not perceivable by most.

so it’ll be prudent to go with an AVR i’d say and invest in a substantial integrated/power amp if you want a real upgrade.

Hi

or

I think it’s better to stay away from marantz for movies coz I am having pioneer Andrew jones setup excluding sub and Marantz nr1601 Av receiver since 4 years but not satisfied with sound quality as far as movies are concerned. Though my setup includes good components such as oppo udp 203 Blu-ray player and RSL speedwoofer 10s subwoofer I could not satisfy with the sound.Recently my friend brought his denon avr 2309 (made in Japan) to experiment with my pioneer Andrew jones setup. Though he tweaked with many settings in Marantz he did not liked the sound quality and we connected the denon receiver which he brought and played a movie. It was day n night difference when the sound came out from the speakers. I was very happy with what I listened to. Later luckily I bought that receiver from him just for a small amount Of 13000/-. So my suggestion is not to go with slimline receivers unless ur speakers are highly efficient like 90db.

Hi

or

I own FS52, it was paired with Denon AVR & Marantz PM6005 in the past - recently I bought Norge Concerto & immediately i could hear the difference in SQ, these speakers will come to life only when you pair it with powerful amplifier / IA & it will shine.

Cheers,
:cool:

Hi

or

As of now It will be better if you spend on a good subwoofer first and later Center channel and at last AVR.

Yes even i used to power my fs52 with denon x1000 recently changed to X2600 and boy the difference is just mind-blowing

If you do not play atleast 320kbps files, you will not get decent sound. And then just listen to Music in Pure Direct mode. That should do it..

If not, and you wanna buy an Amp, you could try adding a Amp Selector Switch like this.

Not cheap, but probably the most feasible to do..

Hi

or

If the receiver full fills your requirements keep it. Those Pioneers scale brilliantly with good power, which is true for most AJ designed speakers. You need loads of good power to make them truly shine. Try borrowing a power amp and checking if your receiver has Preouts.

MaSh

Being a Marantz NR1608 owner, I will say that Marantz slimline avrs are not able to drive low sensitivity speakers faithfully. They run out of power and sounds bright on high volume. Pioneer FS52 have sensitivity of 87db and falls under low sensitivity category. Now most of the mid segment avrs have bridge the gap between sound quality of avr and IA. You may sell old pioneer and can consider Marantz SR5000 series for both movies and music. I have also auditioned Pioneer FS52 and they are very good speakers and upgrade in your case is not advisable.

Hi

or

I would suggest stretching your budget a bit if you can and getting the new SR6015 and above. It has a dedicated preamp mode which locks out the power amp section to negate distortion and clipping which usually creeps in when pushing the volume to higher levels even when using a power amplifier via preouts. This will ensure good future upgradability.

Hi,

it is difficult to answer your question. Your AVR has all the bells and whistles except Dolby atmos. Hence if u are not going for atmos, keep your AVR as is. As far as music is concerned you can go for an amp but your speakers though not very efficient should be easy to drive given the room size of 12 x 12. Before you spend anything try tinkering with internal AVR settings as well as room acoustics. Also try to use different sources for music and see the change. If not then try an integrated like Norge which will come for 8-10k and then see the change. But you should go for integrated only after the 3 steps above- AVR settings; room sound treatment and source of music. Just my 2 cents based on many years of tinkering.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. It really helped me to an extent. I tried to make some adjustment with the front two speaker position which certainly made a difference with the mid bass. Also tried to play some wav files from BD player which certainly hell and heaven difference. Thanks to you I think I will keep the AVR for now. :)

I own FS52, it was paired with Denon AVR & Marantz PM6005 in the past - recently I bought Norge Concerto & immediately i could hear the difference in SQ, these speakers will come to life only when you pair it with powerful amplifier / IA & it will shine.

Cheers,
:cool:
Thank you. That's really great to hear. I think I will too try your route as an experiment as it is relatively cheaper. I think Norge is available only at store and not online.

As of now It will be better if you spend on a good subwoofer first and later Center channel and at last AVR.
Thank you so much. I followed your suggestion. I finally ordered a new sub (Wharfedale D10). Will upgrade the rest later in year.

If you do not play atleast 320kbps files, you will not get decent sound. And then just listen to Music in Pure Direct mode. That should do it..

If not, and you wanna buy an Amp, you could try adding a Amp Selector Switch like this.

Not cheap, but probably the most feasible to do..
Thank you for the link. It seems like a great solution without having 2 setups. Is the switch able to play without degrading the sound quality? Anyone using something like this in situation like this?

If the receiver full fills your requirements keep it. Those Pioneers scale brilliantly with good power, which is true for most AJ designed speakers. You need loads of good power to make them truly shine. Try borrowing a power amp and checking if your receiver has Preouts.

MaSh
That's a great suggestion. I am keeping the AVR for now. Sadly it has only pre out for subwoofer I guess. :(

Being a Marantz NR1608 owner, I will say that Marantz slimline avrs are not able to drive low sensitivity speakers faithfully. They run out of power and sounds bright on high volume. Pioneer FS52 have sensitivity of 87db and falls under low sensitivity category. Now most of the mid segment avrs have bridge the gap between sound quality of avr and IA. You may sell old pioneer and can consider Marantz SR5000 series for both movies and music. I have also auditioned Pioneer FS52 and they are very good speakers and upgrade in your case is not advisable.
Thank you so much. It made me to think more clearly and sensibly. I think I will do this. Either I will get a Norge or go for Marantz mid range AVR.

I would suggest stretching your budget a bit if you can and getting the new SR6015 and above. It has a dedicated preamp mode which locks out the power amp section to negate distortion and clipping which usually creeps in when pushing the volume to higher levels even when using a power amplifier via preouts. This will ensure good future upgradability.
Thanks so much. Will there be substantial difference between both the series.

Thanks so much. Will there be substantial difference between both the series.
In pure performance terms, its not going to make a difference unless you are driving a power amp through the preamp outs. If you never intend to upgrade, then you can go for earlier models. However, i believe the sr6015 has 8k support which the earlier series do not.

Thank you. That's really great to hear. I think I will too try your route as an experiment as it is relatively cheaper. I think Norge is available only at store and not online.

Thats correct reach out to them directly, they do respond to customer queries immediately.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back