Upgrade Marantz CD5001 or buy Musical Fidelity M1 DAC?

Related to a thread I posted elsewhere but ties up with the discussion on CDP vs DAC. So posting here

Been confused on upgrading my Sony BDP with m1 DAC or CD6004 - plan to add a stereo amp ( most prob 7004) in the next phase ( have a SR6005, MA Rx6 now). Opinion has been mixed ( CDP better if you listen to CDs vs. DAC more future proof etc).

Am planning to visit Singapore. So was planning to pick up either of the two. The issue is wont be able to audition either with my set up. Any one auditioned CD6004 vs M1 DAC - any feedback from a pure sound Qlty perspective. Also CD 6004 has USB port does it means I can use it as a DAC as well .

Dont know about m1 dac but the marantz cd 6004 to me it sounds musical and pure:) imaging is super neat.i also control my ipod classic 120gb thru cd6004 but it sounds recessed compared to output thru 3.5m port using gecko cable and evn folder change seems not to work/i still havent figured out yet probably ;-)

Thanks..!!! Where did you get your 6004 from?

Is USB based ipod connection loss less -? I mean should Ipod thru CDP via USB give similar performance as Ipod thru DAC

@ x man!-am not sure about ipod thru dac cos ive never used an external dac to be honest but thu cd6004 it does play all the files supported by the ipod incl of ALAC...as i previously mentioned the ipod sounded a lot wider & cleaner thru the 3.5m thru the marantz pm5003 amp using gecko cable!...but someone here actually told me even cd players need burn in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so waiting to notice any possible/positive change!...

In my opinion, it's better value for money to upgrade to an outboard DAC than to buy a new CD player for the same money. You would have to spend considerably more on a new CD player to get the same SQ from an outboard DAC like the M1. Use the old CDP as transport. I am currently using my Marantz Cd50001 as transport and using Musical Fidelity's DAC onboard the A10008.

CD player will become extinct, it is only a matter of time. If I hadn't invested all my music in the CD format, I would be using FLACs..So those of you who are starting new, may be don't take the path of the dodo..

Yummm...I love Smooth Jazz:licklips:

helium
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2.0 -> SB Classic + Lyrita SET 2A3 + Vintage Akai Speaker SW-175 -> Lyrita IC + Cables => Nirvana

@kevian-is it up for sale? :p for people with bad bb(like mine!) it might help! seems like a nice business plan too!.

lol..forum mods will ban me if I try to sell flacs. No such business is entertained here. And blasto's post about flacs in 'wanted' section is a joke.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back