Upgrade path demystification

Rud31

The setup I'm currently using is as follows;
Source:- Laptop(USB)
DAC-Amp:- ChiFi Nobsound NS-01G
Speakers:- Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Surrounds
Subwoofer- Polk Audio PSW110

The amp output runs to subwoofer high level input and high level outs from sub run to speakers. For the small size of my room, the setup works fine but there are 2 issues I face; distortion in speakers at higher volume levels due to the full range signal being fed to them and lack of any hardware tone control.
Now I do have a NAD C320 but I don't prefer to use it because of lack of USB input in it and bulky setup it creates. USB input is important here because my laptop also serves as media stream render endpoint for streaming through my phone over WiFi as I find it to be better alternative than using the Bluetooth connection of the ChiFi amp.
The Wharfedales sound a bit warm and I like that for most of the part but sometimes in some songs where female vocals are there, their lack of brightness leaves me wanting. Now I'm assuming most of you would suggest me to upgrade DAC-Amp but here I have 2 constraints, budget and space. Can't go above 10K and can't buy something sizable as the setup is a desk setup. So what are my options, if any?
As of now, the two options that I am considering are Topping MX3 and Arylic A50.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back