Upgrades to Monitor 60 (Erstwhile TSi)

navinmra

Hi all -
I've been holding onto these Monitor 60 floorstanders complemented by the big size CS2 center and Monitor 30 bookshelves for the rear. They've faithfully served me for 7 years through 3 different media room configurations as I renovated them and moved places.

With every media room reconfiguration, I have learnt more about their characteristics and am at a point where I feel I have extracted maximum sonic value from them and want to upgrade. Here are my key considerations:

1. Budget of say Rs 1L for the 5 speaker setup
  2. 90% of my listening is music (Largely concert videos and CDs and a collection of LPs played through a Project turntable.
  3. I occasionally watch movies and TV with the projector setup; I look for voice and dialog clarity on news and presence especially on HD sports channels
  4. The polks suffer in the mid range and treble department - I want the upgrade to address this
  5. Their off axis performance is terrible and that requires significant toe-in. I want to address that as well
  6. My current media room has anutone acoustic treatment for the ceiling and around the projection screen - this has helped improve the on axis performance of the floorstanders. Ambient noise at night is around 30dB; which is when I have my most listening.
  7. I liked the Paradigm Monitor and the PSB Alpha for their neutral sound during separate auditions.
  8. I did not quite like the B&Ws, Mordaunt Shorts and the Tannoys. Too muted for my liking
  9. I am going to drive the setup with my Denon 2113 which is a recent upgrade to the 2106

Now, I will be really grateful if you can suggest options based on the above preferences.

If you are going to listen to music, why do you care about 5.1? Get a pair of stereo speakers.

It is best to leave HT out of a music listening system else you'll get a jack of all trades and master of none.

In your 1 lac budget, buy a pair of speakers, an integrated amp and a dac/cd player.

navinmra,

Since you say you enjoy a lot of concert DVD's, 5.1 seems to be required. But like reignofchaos stated above, I would urge you to look at stereo. For INR100,000 I am not sure you would get speaker package that is a significant upgrade to your existing system. It would be better to focus on front speakers alone. Or front speakers and a centre channel if you are keen on 5.1.

navinmra,

Since you say you enjoy a lot of concert DVD's, 5.1 seems to be required. But like reignofchaos stated above, I would urge you to look at stereo. For INR100,000 I am not sure you would get speaker package that is a significant upgrade to your existing system. It would be better to focus on front speakers alone. Or front speakers and a centre channel if you are keen on 5.1.

Thanks reignofchaos and iaudio. If I just upgrade the fronts alone, timbre difference with the center speaker is an issue (only for 5.1 concert DVDs and BDs though) Any idea how bad it gets?

navinmra,

navinmra, That is what I mentioned in the last sentence. If you are keen on having a 5.1 set up, spend the 1 lac on upgrading the fronts and centre alone. Subwoofer and Rear surrounds can come in later.

For example and just for example, look at monitor audio rx 6 with matching centre or psb image t5 with centre. Since it's a speaker package with sub, floorstanders are not really needed. You can use the money to get a better pair of bookshelves and subwoofer. IMHO, centre and sub make the major difference in 5.1 set ups.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back