upgrading my AV receiver, need advice

koushikp

Hi guys,

I have a mordaunt-short Avant 904i based 5.1 channel speaker package currently hooked to a Cambridge 540R AV receiver.

Although I really like the receiver, time has come to say goodbye to it as I am getting a blu-ray player next week (the PS3)..as the PS3 doesn't have multichannel analogue out, I am planning to get a receiver supporting true HD..any suggestions?

I would love to buy the cambridge 650R, very satisfied with how cambridge amps matches to my speakers, but its too damn expensive..

I am looking at the Denon 1611/1311 based on the suggestion of my dealer from whom I had bought the package originally. While auditioning originally 3 years ago I had auditioned the speakers with Onkyo and Cambridge, the Onkyo turned out to be too bright for my speakers, as the MS speakers are on the brighter side anyway...loved cambridge for their musical performance.

Any other suggestions? or is the Denon ok?

before any of you ask why I am not getting a blu-ray player with multichannel analogue out, it is because I am also an avid gamer, I own a XBOX 360 also, and after taking the juice out of that completely over the last 4 years, it is time for me to taste the PS3 exclusive titles..also PS3 supports 3D blu-ray playback now, and considering that and the gaming option, its too good an option for me at 18k, so going to stick to that..

Also my gaming+movies to music ratio will be 90:10, but it's important to me that the receiver sounds good musically, I own quite large collection of original music CDs hooked to a cambridge player, mostly listen to rock.

Last edited:
With MS,Yamaha,Onkyo both will go.I have heard both yr back & sounds good with either of them.
Onkyo 608 OR Yamaha 667 can be a midrange AVR for them.

Thanks Spiro, any idea about the roundabout price of the receivers you mentioned? I wanted to keep the upgrade within 30k.

All of them fall between 35 to 40k. A bit lower end series in same brands will be available under 30k.

Thanks Spiro, any idea about the roundabout price of the receivers you mentioned? I wanted to keep the upgrade within 30k.

Kittu has mentioned Indian prices.Getting from US can make them close to 20k + stepdown transformer,so cost around 25-27k.(If friend cary it)

Your existing receiver is better than whatever you are looking at. I'd say sit on what you have. Just use the optical out of the PS3. Yes you'll not get TrueHD and DTS Master HD but your receiver will sound just as good with the vanilla DTS and DD compared to an entry level denon 1311/1611.

Your existing receiver is better than whatever you are looking at. I'd say sit on what you have. Just use the optical out of the PS3. Yes you'll not get TrueHD and DTS Master HD but your receiver will sound just as good with the vanilla DTS and DD compared to an entry level denon 1311/1611.

In that case,BDp with 5.1 analoge out can be chosen in same price-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178449
:::::: Welcome to Sherwood ::::::
http://cgi.ebay.com/SHERWOOD-AMERIC..._Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item4aaa1132cc

It can be connected to 5.1 analoge in of Azur 540R.

Last edited:
thanks all for your replies.

@reignofchaos - i always thought the 540R was great for music, as a far as movies go, do u think it will beat the entry level ones at full HD sound? given how high the bitrates are I always thought they will sound much better. I will have to concede I am yet to do a single audition of true HD surround sound. please share your views on this. as far as music goes, i am planning to set up the 540R in my bedroom with two solid bookshelf speakers, haven't decided which, probably something from MS only, but higher up in the range.
btw i just looked through your main setup and drooled all over my keyboard..super! :cool:

@spiro - as i explained, pretty set on the PS3, for the reasons I mentioned, can't change that part!

@kouship
i seriously recomend you not to Go with denon 1611/1311 after hearing CA receiver i am sure that you wont be happy with the Denon series yu are specifying.
your ears will be starving for Theatric experience which yu had before with CA.

Dont do the mistake which i did(Selling marantz 5200 and bought onk606 NOW VERY HAPPY WITH ROTEL)

Instead you have one better option

Buy emotiva UMC 1 Processor and hook into CA Receiver 5.1Input and select
DIRECT SOUND IN CA RECEIVER

Now CA Will act as POWER AMP.

and you can enjoy both CA AND EMOtiva

thanks all for your replies.

@reignofchaos - i always thought the 540R was great for music, as a far as movies go, do u think it will beat the entry level ones at full HD sound? given how high the bitrates are I always thought they will sound much better. I will have to concede I am yet to do a single audition of true HD surround sound. please share your views on this. as far as music goes, i am planning to set up the 540R in my bedroom with two solid bookshelf speakers, haven't decided which, probably something from MS only, but higher up in the range.
btw i just looked through your main setup and drooled all over my keyboard..super! :cool:

@spiro - as i explained, pretty set on the PS3, for the reasons I mentioned, can't change that part!

My hunch is it'll sound better since CA receivers are typically no compromise designs - they simply copy their stereo amp topology into their receivers for each of the channels. Whether it actually sounds better or not can only be decided by an A/B. If your dealer has a demo piece, why don't you get the denon home for a day and try it out and see if its any better?

Cheers!

@reignofchaos Stereo Amp is always better that 5.1 Stereo is welcomed more than HT
and most of high end users like Stereo than HT
so then why yo worry when your receiver is using stereo technology (No need to use buy separate stereo AMP).

50 watts stereo is better than 100watts 5.1

My future upgrade in mind will implement when my time is over with ROTEL

PROCESSOR EMOTIVA UMC-1
AMP 1)ROTEL Stereo power amp(high watts 2 channel) for fronts
2)ROTEL 5 Channel (for center and rest of my 4 surrounds) 7.1

Guess that would sound good ! !

I think you didn't understand what I said - the CA receivers typically have the same power amp stage as their stereo amps. As a result, they are significantly more powerful and resolving compared to mass market Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha receivers.

thanks guys, I think I will take your advice and dont do anything right now, maybe wait for the time I have enough funds and go for the CA 650R..that will surely be the winner...

@prithivi - superb suggestion, but I am afraid I don't have enough space to give both the amp and the processor to breathe in my furniture setup..so thats a no-go for me..

glad i checked here before jumping in to buy..thanks!

@reignofchaos -> +1

@koushikp whats your budget get emotiva UMC-1 from US (ask your friends to self carry it will cost approx only 30K and hook it to CA) your need is Over !

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back