Upgrading of my Yamaha as500

Experienced forum members please suggest stereo integrated amplifier to replace my yamaha as500. I want to replace my present amplifier for the reason being sound is little sterile, it lacks speed and excitement. It's ok for classical and slow music but not with the fast paced music. I already experimented with different speakers like jamo c405, mission m34i, Boston acoustic A26 and now using jbl stage series towers. And explain that is it necessary to spend lakhs of money to get good sound.

What's your source? Did you try different sources to see if the sound is still not to your liking?

MaSh

Experienced forum members please suggest stereo integrated amplifier to replace my yamaha as500. I want to replace my present amplifier for the reason being sound is little sterile, it lacks speed and excitement. It's ok for classical and slow music but not with the fast paced music. I already experimented with different speakers like jamo c405, mission m34i, Boston acoustic A26 and now using jbl stage series towers. And explain that is it necessary to spend lakhs of money to get good sound.
You are among the few who find Yamaha lacking excitement.
Folks usually choose Yamaha for their fun and peppy presentation.
What are your current speakers?
Cheers,
Raghu

nice equipment list, could you describe the listening environment ? Most of the times, its the room acoustics that play a bigger role than the equipment them selves. Also when u mean lack of speed and excitement, i am guessing its the low end decay u are talking about, may be an overly damped room. have u experimented with playing around with speaker positions.

nice equipment list, could you describe the listening environment ? Most of the times, its the room acoustics that play a bigger role than the equipment them selves. Also when u mean lack of speed and excitement, i am guessing its the low end decay u are talking about, may be an overly damped room. have u experimented with playing around with speaker positions.
Totally agree. Only after exhausting experimenting with all room modes should a decision to upgrade ideally be made.

Lack of speed means vocals are a kind of stretching or you are correct its long decay of every note.

Lack of speed means vocals are a kind of stretching or you are correct its long decay of every note.
vocals stretching, u mean echo ? how big is the room ? is it an empty room ? If there are less furniture's in the room u can try using a floor carpet to reduce echo. Thick curtains help as well. U can use mattress rolls in the opposite corners to reduce echo (only while u are listening )

If the speakers are rear ported, then they need atleast 1-2 feet breathing space in the back. u can play around with the distance to get your desired bass result. just, dont flush them to the wall. Also give 2-3 feet distance from the side wall as well

The WhatHifi review suggests this amp has good timing and if at all, it could be bright, but not boring. The A26 on the other hand are polite and can cause the extensions slowing things down. On paper the Yamaha and the A26 seem a good sonic matching. Please also check the interconnects and speaker cables you use - if any of them is rolling off the highs.

Last edited by a moderator:
vocals stretching, u mean echo ? how big is the room ? is it an empty room ? If there are less furniture's in the room u can try using a floor carpet to reduce echo. Thick curtains help as well. U can use mattress rolls in the opposite corners to reduce echo (only while u are listening )

If the speakers are rear ported, then they need atleast 1-2 feet breathing space in the back. u can play around with the distance to get your desired bass result. just, dont flush them to the wall. Also give 2-3 feet distance from the side wall as well
Yes Speakers placement did the trick, I pulled these little into the room, now sound improved and become more lively. My one speaker is in the corner but on the opposite side there is a door opening so in this case reflected sound from corner speaker may interfere the sound of other speaker.

Try bright speakers.
Soft amp do well with bright speakers and bright amp need soft speakers. Synergy with matching of both is very important.

I had the same setup..Marantz 6002, Yamaha As500 and Jamo speakers which was a very good match.
Chord Crimson rca and Chord speaker cables.
So change the speaker cable or rca to a neutral one and then listen.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back