Urgent - Need to buy 42' Plasma and need your help!

harry10

Hi,
I will be buying my first Plasma on the coming Sat.
Decided on plasme because of valuable inputs on this Forum.

I know some of the Q's had been answered in this forum but need to confirm everything before finalising so kindly ans again.
1. The screen size i had selected is 42 inches. My viewing distance is 8 feet and that might be less but sadly Plasmas dont come in 37 or 40 inches.
Now should i take any precaution for that?

2.- Which one should i buy?
Checked Panasonic C10 in a showroom in faridabad as i live there itself and was quoted 45800 as price with no discounts(i was thinking discounts should be there cos of festive season). Q's regarding that -
(a) - Is 45800 a fair price?
(b) - Its from a panasonic showrooom, will i get discounts or any freebies if taken from Croma,Reliance or Ezone?

3.- As been stated earlier C10 is HD ready. Now am not a technical person so will this make any difference in viewing normal Tata Sky stuff and the HD content?
My primary viewing will be Tata Sky with couple of HD movies every week.

Kindly suggest if HD ready is fine or should go for S10 which is HD ready. I believe price difference is 10k so is it justified to spend 10k more?

4.- Need to buy a DVD player with usb port also cos wIll be watching movies by connecting my hard drive to DVD player.

Which one you guys suggest which can easily get attached to a hard drive?

5.- As suggested here and in other forums the burn in Issue is no longer there. Still should take any more precautions?

6.- How can i check if the Panel given is not a showroom used one and is a new one?

7.A Very Impo Q- A good friend told me he can get me good discounts on dealers cost price if i take LG plasma.

Now the only LG plasma i had read about being compare to panasonic was PQ70 i guess.

Do you guys suggest to get LG or stick with Panasonic only.
Will appreciate as many suggestions you can give.:)

Thanks
Harsh.

EDIT - Also suggest which HDMI cable should i buy and the price as well.

1 &2 the C10 should be availabe for a cheaper price try getting it for about 45k.
for sd content only i would rather suggest the 42b450A,it performs a bit better in sd.
3 the S10 is a FHD tv so it won't look as good as a HD ready in tatasky.

4 as far as the dvd player pioneer DV610 or even the DV410 is good buy with excellent upscaling.not sure about other companies,may be can post it in the dvd section.
5 burn in isn't an issue,unless u are pretty determined to get in.u can however get IR,which is temporary.compared to burn in which is peramanent.
panasonic plasmas are more immune to IR,they other brands such as samsung.lg.but unless u are a gamer or will be using a pc,u wan't notice it.if u use a dth like big tv that has that annoying big tv symbol,u will get IR,if u see for a long time.
6 by checking the service menu,also make sure that u get a sealed piece,notice for scratches,finger prints,dust in air vents.

7 is subjective,but the PQ70 doesn't fair that well in contrast compared to panasonic or even samsung.
as

Hi there,
I was gonna put up a similar post but I stumbled upon yours.So i thought I might as well join in.
I was in fact looking into 42" Plasma LG 42PQ30 (at Rs.36,500) which is by far the cheapest 42" Plasma I have come across as yet.The specs are as given below:

Screen Size---42" (41.6" Diagonal)
Native Display Resolution---1024 x 768
Brightness---1,500 cd/m2
Smooth Motion Technology---Yes
Dynamic Contrast Ratio---2,000,000:1
Fluid Motion---Yes
Image Sticking Minimization (ISM)---3 Modes
600Hz Sub Field Driving---Yes
Typical Life Span---100,000 hr
Built-In Tuner---Yes (ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM - 1 Tuner)
HDMI/HDCP Input---3

Would like to know if this would be a good investment.

As far as Full HDs are concerned,we don't really have that kind of media sources widely available in India except for a one-off Blue Ray Disc once in a while.So I'm sticking to 720P.

I'm new here and would like the Old Timers and the people in the know-how to kindly suggest.
Thanks in advance!

HD ready plasmas are still a worthy purchase option. re: brands you can find a number when you search the forums. My preferences would be Panasonic and then LG

Hi there,

I just bought a Panasonic G10 in August. Full HD 1080p. Excellent performance. Price 66.5K from Panasonic dealer. My suggestion is that if you are going for a full HD Panasonic, then better to take the G10 than the S10, since the G10 has the new NeoPDP panel with much higher contrast and brightness and lower power consumption.

A friend just bought a Panasonic PV80D from the same dealer last week. HD ready. For 41.5k only! With a 3 year Panasonic warranty, scratch card etc. Comparing the PV80 to the C10 in the showroom, the picture on the PV80 was much better. If you don't mind the fact that the PV80 is a 2008 model vs the c10 which is a 2009 model, choose the PV80. Incidentally, the Panasonic PV8/PV80 were forum favourites for a long time. (Do a search and see!).

So then - either the PV80 with max savings, excellent picture, excellent Tata Sky performance or the G10 with full HD and all the latest trappings. Nothing in between.

Cheers

Sumain

Hi there,

I just bought a Panasonic G10 in August. Full HD 1080p. Excellent performance. Price 66.5K from Panasonic dealer. My suggestion is that if you are going for a full HD Panasonic, then better to take the G10 than the S10, since the G10 has the new NeoPDP panel with much higher contrast and brightness and lower power consumption.

A friend just bought a Panasonic PV80D from the same dealer last week. HD ready. For 41.5k only! With a 3 year Panasonic warranty, scratch card etc. Comparing the PV80 to the C10 in the showroom, the picture on the PV80 was much better. If you don't mind the fact that the PV80 is a 2008 model vs the c10 which is a 2009 model, choose the PV80. Incidentally, the Panasonic PV8/PV80 were forum favourites for a long time. (Do a search and see!).

So then - either the PV80 with max savings, excellent picture, excellent Tata Sky performance or the G10 with full HD and all the latest trappings. Nothing in between.

Cheers

Sumain

Thanks for the input.
I went to check in PV80 only but sadly the model has been discontinued and is not available.

How is X10?

I would most probably go for panasonic as most people have recommended Pana over Samsung,LG etc.

Now the confusion is which model.
Panasonic C10,S10,G10 and X10 - am damn confused now.:confused:

For your Distance of 8 feets the 42" is an overkill and would eventually degrade your viewing pleasure. Instead of it go for a LCD of 37", atleast thats what I think.If you are entering into this arena now then I would suggest you to go in with full HD as HD ready would not meet your needs if you buy a Blu Ray player in the future and then you would end up realising that you have ended up buying an inferior tech. product.
For your DVD player needs look at Pioneer model no. 610, CA Dv99, or buy a Philips Blu ray player @ 17K. You will have to be extra careful in selecting the blu ray player as you need it for your viewing contents from your external HDD, here I would suggest you to take your HDD along with you and then demo the recomended product with it.
For the panels, that its not a demo piece search this forum and it has been discussed in detail through which you can see the usage in a panel.
At the end even now if you decide on the plasma then its recommended that in the intial usage hours i.e uptill first 100 hours do not use the full brightness and contrast settings in the panel and try to keep them till half way mark also do not leave any static images on it more more than 6-8 hrs like the Tata Sky logo which could still leave burn marks on your new Plasma.
Contact Mr. Sandeep jain and give him my reference as he might be able to help you out with your purchases with the appropriate discounts.
Why don't you go for Sony LCD's as they are really good and after rescent price corrections they are good for the money, also Mr. Sandeep could offer you further 8-10% discounts on the Sony's too.

Why don't you go for Sony LCD's as they are really good and after rescent price corrections they are good for the money, also Mr. Sandeep could offer you further 8-10% discounts on the Sony's too.

All dealers I have ever visited have said the same thing, 'no further discounts on SONY LCDs'. 8%-10% seems a lot of discount on SONY LCDs.

After seeing a few posts on Plasma TVs, ......
I now live in the MIddle East and have seen several TVs here and in my humble opinion, provided one is willing to spend some money to get the best TV, there is nothing to beat the Pioneer Kuro, closely followed by Panasonic Vierra. The rest all look the same to me.
Trust this helps.

murali

Thanks for the input.
I went to check in PV80 only but sadly the model has been discontinued and is not available.

How is X10?

I would most probably go for panasonic as most people have recommended Pana over Samsung,LG etc.

Now the confusion is which model.
Panasonic C10,S10,G10 and X10 - am damn confused now.:confused:

My friend bought the PV80 just last week. From the Panasonic Brand Shop in Great India Place in Noida. Since you live in Faridabad, it may just be worth your while to check there once.

Otherwise, I think the X10 would be a better choice than the C10, simply because of the extra features. I think that the X10 has a SD-Card slot which you can use for viewing pictures taken with your digital camera, by just removing the SD card from the camera and popping it into the TV. I've used it on my G10, and the pictures from my Canon digital camera look simply fabulous!

If you have a Panasonic digital camera, you can even use the SD card slot in your TV to watch videos taken with the camera.

Incidentally, the PV80 is still listed on the Panasonic India web site. So a few pieces must still be available. Hunt!

Cheers

Sumain

Hi,

I am also looking for a PV80. Have not been able to find it in any of the stores.

Has anyone tried X10? Any opinions on how it fares with SD content?

thx & rgds.

My friend bought the PV80 just last week. From the Panasonic Brand Shop in Great India Place in Noida. Since you live in Faridabad, it may just be worth your while to check there once.

Otherwise, I think the X10 would be a better choice than the C10, simply because of the extra features. I think that the X10 has a SD-Card slot which you can use for viewing pictures taken with your digital camera, by just removing the SD card from the camera and popping it into the TV. I've used it on my G10, and the pictures from my Canon digital camera look simply fabulous!

If you have a Panasonic digital camera, you can even use the SD card slot in your TV to watch videos taken with the camera.

Incidentally, the PV80 is still listed on the Panasonic India web site. So a few pieces must still be available. Hunt!

Cheers

Sumain

Thanks.
How much is X10 for in NCR?

Hi,
I will be buying my first Plasma on the coming Sat.
Decided on plasme because of valuable inputs on this Forum.

2.- Which one should i buy?
Checked Panasonic C10 in a showroom in faridabad as i live there itself and was quoted 45800 as price with no discounts(i was thinking discounts should be there cos of festive season). Q's regarding that -
(a) - Is 45800 a fair price?
(b) - Its from a panasonic showrooom, will i get discounts or any freebies if taken from Croma,Reliance or Ezone?

Hi there similarly looking for a good buy, went to Harmony House, Kolkata(Park St Outlet), checked C10 in comparison to, Sharp(Dont remember the model no. ;)) and Panasonic LCD 42(VIERA TH-42LZ80) inch FHD.

But due some reason found that image was blur on the screen(C10). I Was checking specifically football match(1080p), where grass cuts and even strand were prominent in 1080 mode.

and sincerely C10 failed when compared with FHD, but the shop owner was very fishy to plugin SD content to Display panels.

I was quoted 43K for this panel+diwali offer from Panasonic +25 DVD(Or Bigflix subscription/ restaurant vouchers etc).

I believe thats a steal deal but god knows about the Picture quality of C10.
Should we take a call for C10 deal?

Last edited:
Got a quote of 41k for the panasonic C10 at alpha, Mumbai. The demo DVD being played was Kodak one, pictures were looking really natural and amazing.

guys!

sorry going out the way.. but it is anyways connected with Panasonic plasma..
read about de-interlacing issue in G10..
please can anyone guide..what it is all about?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back