• Om.gif
    Om.gif
    17 KB · Views: 60
  • Marijuana Leaf.gif
    Marijuana Leaf.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your views. I too prefer the V shape and sometimes a curved one without knowing the purpose of frequency bands :mad: Those days were my college days (1990-1992). I used Akai 10+10 band graphic equalizer for recording Tamil songs (cassette to cassette!). Me and my friends ran a small recording centre. In those days, a feeling was that equalizer is must for audio recording. Even the shops highlight as "Equalizer Recording" and put additional charges for recording. We also did the same thing!

Recently when I bought my floorstanders and amplifier, I was enquiring about the need of an equalizer with my colleague. He told me it is not needed when a quality amplifier is there. It's true. I am very much satisfied with my 2 channel amplifier and floorstanders. As this is encouraging for me, I am planning to buy a turntable (preferably Pro-Ject Debu III/Phono) soon.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Dear Muthusami

I was using Eq during my college days as well , there was lot of Cassettes and some LPs in which the recording is not quite good., i ws using the Eq in a V shape and later found it incorrect , i was using Altec Lancing , Technics eqs for a long time ( only for bad recordings ) . But now a days i not using the Eqs and infact sold the Technics for Rs.500/- ( i was even ready to give it free )

A good recorded LPs or casettes or Cds dont need any eqs . IMO

regards

David.

Hello Muthusami

Everyone in the early stages would have used an Eq without knowing the purpose of it ( like us) , Its good to see that you are going to buy a Turntable. Infact i too have auditioned a couple of TT from Denon and Project , and Project is better then the Denon and BTW where do you get LPs from?

david.

David,

I thought of searching LPs in Chennai (Moore market, ritchie street) or in Trichy through some recording centres. I haven't auditioned any turntables yet. Where did you get a demo of Project and Denon turntables. Any dealier in Chennai? Please let me know.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

Hello Muthusami

Everyone in the early stages would have used an Eq without knowing the purpose of it ( like us) , Its good to see that you are going to buy a Turntable. Infact i too have auditioned a couple of TT from Denon and Project , and Project is better then the Denon and BTW where do you get LPs from?

david.

Hi,
Using an equalizer in earlier decades was pretty common as the audio systems most of us had back then were lousy and needed a boost. Also as mentioned above some of the music was poorly mastered too. But today an EQ seems a waste at least in a home stereo. Of course there may be exceptions. Using the tone controls(if provided) in the integrateds is a little different as the increase/decrease in the frequencies is a little more subtle than an EQ and the midband is relatively un altered IMO.
Regards

But in a GE you have the flexibilty of applyimg the boost/cut just where it is reqd.
I still maintain- a useful thing to have if used judiciously & only when it is really necessary

All said and done, if you ask me, in spite of their flaws, I still enjoy the sound of my floorstanders better than the pretty decent sound I get to hear through my Creative inner ear headphones connected to my ipod.

Nothing like feeling the vibration in your guts (come to think of it, that's the only thing I like about trance), with or without equalisers and with or without perfect sound.

Sorry guys, I guess that was way off topic. :)

Pardon my frequent off topic forays, but I used to think people who use high end equipment, also have basic infrastructure like carpets and curtains. I thought floor vibrations and shaking windows were for rough roaders like me. :)

I agree psychotropic, but how many people know about a spectrum analyzer? An equalizer helps me to explain the design to people....The idea is to have fun and look cool with the bars being activated by music/sound..... It is not a hifi/hi-end t-shirt, just a fun, cool product....

I had been using my Akai 10 + 10 band graphic equaliser solely to reduce the excessive and loose bass caused by the bad speakers I have. I recently got my Amp repaired by Akshay who is a forum member. Now the bass treble response has improved dramatically. I am not using the equaliser any more. The amp is able to control the bass to my complete satisfaction.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back