USB cable-What should I ask for?

If you are looking for a good cable then try this - Audioquest Cinnamon USB Type A to B - From 49.00 - HiFiCables.co.uk

I am currently using this cable and I am a very happy customer :)

Audioquest Cinnamon USB Type A to B

The Audioquest Cinnamon USB is the second in a line of high speed USB's. With Audio enthusiasts now using their MAC's or PC's as a musical jukebox and converting it through a DAC for better sound. It has become very important for a USB cable that provides a fast and jutter free transfer of information.

What jutter??

Verbal diarrhoea from the marketing men. Some people even believe it.

Of course, they probably can guarantee that their cable is jutter free :).

I wish they hadn't called it "jitter," but I think the term comes from pre-hifi digital signal technology, so it just got inherited. If they had called it something like digital time-factor shift, then perhaps people wouldn't be so willing to hear it!

Oh yeah... I'm cynical. But hey, I apply just as much cynicism to myself as I do to others :D. Why? because I know full well that I could be fooled into spending 10 on a USB cable, while knowing that even 5 might be too much. But 50? No thanks! Not even for the pretty colour!

Last edited:
Cables such as USB, HDMI, optical, etc. are digital cables. They either work or don't work - as simple as that. There is no such thing as this cable from this manufacturer will give better results, less noise, better pq/aq, etc. The only thing is that a cable from a reputed manufacturer will (may?) have better manufacturing quality control and thus may last longer than an no-name/unknown brand cable. Even then, the price difference should be no more than 20% at most.

Cables such as USB, HDMI, optical, etc. are digital cables. They either work or don't work - as simple as that. There is no such thing as this cable from this manufacturer will give better results, less noise, better pq/aq, etc. The only thing is that a cable from a reputed manufacturer will (may?) have better manufacturing quality control and thus may last longer than an no-name/unknown brand cable. Even then, the price difference should be no more than 20% at most.

Basically, I believe that too. However, there are arguments to the contrary, and a few days ago I came across this. I have no idea whether this guy is right or wrong; I don't even begin to have the engineering knowledge. What is interesting is that, i) he is putting an engineering-based argument, and ii) he is not proposing absurdly-priced "audiophile-market" cables. In fact, he stresses certain realistic physical aspects of the cable, and mentions a particular Belkin example that satisfies him, which, to me, is within the realm of reasonability.

What's your opinion of what he says? (Maybe this should be a new thread)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back