usb cables

I know a 3m cable can be taken as blasphemy but I stated my limitation.<snip>I would like to try it out first before I need to rob a bank to purchase these insanely priced USB cables.

I am not expressing any opinion or anything - lest a mere paster of information get shot or something.

At least one DAC manufacturer says not to use a cable longer than 2m (but that is I guess necessary if you have distorted Sound or Drop-Outs). They also go on to say that in their opinion audiophile USB cables can be problematic (but that is I guess that is also in the necessary if you have distorted Sound or Drop-Outs category) and recommend $1.02 Monoprice cables.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
I got the USB split cable by Audiocadabra (indian company based in Mumbai) they have been good to deal with , the cable based on 15 mins of (unbroken) hearing is really good . Apparently made to USB specs.

Do you know how good their power cords are ? Generally what power cords work well with dacs ?

I agree with sound_cycle above..the longer the cable the more the deterioration of sound. it might be better to have a longer interconnect and keep the dac near the computer

Regarding type of USB, DACs use different methods to pull data Bulk/isochronous etc.. which does affect the requirement . some of them dont need the power signal in which case cable impact could be lower.

from what i could understand 2 things are most important
1. interference with the power signal- if you remove that the quality of data improves..at least it did for me and hence my experiment with the y cable due to which i went and committed to a better one
2. USB is apparently not stringent on the 90 Ohm spec and can expect upto 15% variation but more than that could see a effect on the transmission if the specs are not right and if you increase the length too much the variation does go higher.

Do you know how good their power cords are ? Generally what power cords work well with dacs ?

no clue..but looking at the quality of work/finish it must be good as it points to good engineering.For the DAC i prefer unshielded cables and these have a natural RFI rejection via braiding

Well, theoretically I understand that the length of the USB cable should not be that long, however, my concern is why did I not hear any differences when I used a .5m USB cable instead?

For me hearing is believing. Hence, I would appreciate if we can organize a listening session of some sorts where good quality USB cables can be tested. I anyway would like to try the new Chord DAC FM Panditji has acquired. Maybe these tests can be done together.

if you do not hear any difference then thats actually good as you can safely go ahead with the longer one !

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back