USB DAC DIY Kit (Android Source) - Seeking Max DSD Playback

rozel

Hi all - my first post so please be gentle :)

I bought one of these USB DAC DIY Kits some time ago which are no longer available: - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32895957403.html I got the "Gold Bundle 2 - Kit" with the Amanero USB Card. I have had great sounding playback and don't want to replace it. It is based round the Sabre ES9038Pro which I know is top class.

Recently I bought a new media player based around the android OS (v9.0) and after tinkering around I seem to be restricted to playing back DSD64 and DSD128 via DoP. It seems contrary to the specs that it does not playback DSD256 or DSD512 files nor does it play "Native DSD". I've also tried using my android Tablet (android v10) with UAPP (USB Audio Pro Player) with the DAC, but get the same results.

I connect the media player or the tablet using a USB cable (printer type) and in the case of the tablet, with an OTG adapter inserted. The sound output is routed by RCA cables to my Receiver's stereo analogue inputs and I then restrict the circuitry of it by placing the receiver in "Pure Direct" mode. Sound files are stored on a NAS.

After a great deal of research (I've had plenty of time on my hands during the UK's lockdown lol), I've established that the installed USB Card is the Amanero COMBO 384 - I'm attaching a pdf which gives all information.

Now, I am not a DAC expert in any way but from what this pdf shows, if I were to play via my windows PC, I would be able to get full DSD capability, if I install the appropriate drivers. However the PC is in a different room to my media player and tablet, but is networked to the NAS and my players see my Audio Collection (media player over ethernet and tablet via wifi. So I am not sure what to do. I have a program installed on my Nas and which is also installed on my PC, called MinimServer. I use this when on my tablet as the DNLA/UPNP source. When using the media player it has a music player installed and allows me to "scrape" my music and then sees the files. I have yet to try to see if I get higher sampling rates and Native DSD using my PC as I am unable to connect it to the DAC (and please, I know sound-wise, there's no sonic difference between DoP and Native DSD) - the reason being I am confused how to install and more importantly use the Amanero drivers and more importantly, how to connect to the DAC, which hasn't got wifi/network capability. So I have ruled out using with my PC.

I have a couple of questions please: -

Is there a better USB Card out there to replace the Amanero COMBO 384? I appreciate the cards don't improve the sound quality but they do provide the connectivity to the outside world via the DAC. Or, as I suspect, is there a limitation by using the android OS?

Sorry for the length of my post but I thought it best to provide as much information as possible

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• combo384-D.pdf
    341.1 KB · Views: 11
I've been quite ill (not with Covid) over the past few weeks and came back on here really hoping I'd get some help - anyone please?

If you have brought the Amanero clone from China it is likely that the original drivers - https://amanero.com/drivers.htm will not work and may damage the firmware completely. But this is required only in case of Windows PC as Linus/MacOS default support it without any additional drivers.

Thank you @manniraj very much appreciated. Since my post earlier this week, I have managed to get DSD256 and DSD512 files playing happily - they play excellently, oh joy! I have deployed a Windows 10 laptop on which I've installed Foobar2000 and the requisite ASIO drivers on. Happy days :)

As mentioned in my original post, I bought my DAC from here: - https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32895957403.html I bought the "Gold Bundle 2 Kit" with the Amanero USB Card. I'm attaching a pdf about the card. The DAC kit came from the Netherlands and the the link shows various photos and specifications. I am keen to know whether you think the card is genuine Amanero or a Chinese fake. Are you able to tell please?

Thanks

Attachments

• combo384-D.pdf
    341.1 KB · Views: 9
The attached PDF seems to be the original Amanero manual by the way :) I hope it is the original but not sure if being sold by Ali at a lot lesser price the genuine thingy comes to mind. Anyway as long as its working fine no issues at all and enjoy the dac.

Also if its original Amanero layout as described in the manual then you can do another mod if you are into the DIY by passing the USB power. Link to the thread - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb-76.html. You need to cut the trace marked in red and then connect the external 5vdc wires on the SMD caps. I have not done it so far but intend to do it in next few weeks.

13-07-05 Amanero Power.JPG

@manniraj most helpful, thank you. Yes my thinking is that it is real. However I'm attaching pics of the card in situ and the DAC board itself, having temporarily removed the case top. I'm a complete noob - is there any way you can tell from these whether or not my Card is genuine please? Thanks again :)

Attachments

• 20210307_103519 small.jpg
    20210307_103519 small.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210307_103535 small.jpg
    20210307_103535 small.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi - I hope you don't mind if I resurrect this thread please as I really need somone's help. @manniraj you have been very helpful so far and maybe you or someone could offer some more advice please.

In June I again started researching a replacement for the Amanero Combo 384 USB Interface Card fitted to my DAC, described in my opening post above. I came across the Singxer C-1 XMOS digital interface board XU208 U8 upgraded version Femtosecond TCXO - this one: -

I was particularly interested in the fact that it's description says "Screw I2S row needle position is fully compatible with Italian Amanero module" and so for a complete noob like myself, I assumed it would be a simple matter to unplug the Amanero and plug in the Singxer. However the Singxer did not come with the soldered in Needles (or pins as I call them) in place so the last few months have seen me calling into one electronics shop after another to see if I could get some help. During this time I sourced another pin strip as I did not think the small double strip that came loose with the Card would fit. The strip that I sourced eventually came last month but the pins were not long enough. Last week I was ambling around a small town on holiday and I found a shop and a guy who explained a few things and offered to help me there and then. I had the Card and my pins with me. Comparing the 2 sets of pins (see Pic) - the one which came with the card and the one I sourced, he said the best thing to do would be to cut the block that came with the card as whilst the pins seemed too large to fit into the pin-holes in my DAC's motherboard, he said these holes usually expand as the holes are lined with small expandable tubes designed to expand. So I asked him to solder away using this block and cut the one pin off, exactly the same as with the Amanero pins.

OK so on Sunday I tried to install the newly soldered Singxer but as I feared the pins were too large and the pin-holes in the motherboard would simply not expand allowing the card to seat properly. Not deterred though I screwed the Card in place making sure the pins of the card were all touching the pin-hole openings on the MB. I was careful not to tighten too tightly/fully so as not to crack the card which sat at an angle - see Pics A & B.

When I switched on the DAC the Singxer's 2 blue lights lit up and I thought so far so good. But I could not get any sound from the DAC at all - just faced with silence. Swapping back the Amanero resulted in perfect sound once more. My Zidoo media player reports that it's attached to the Singxer correctly - see Pics, I've also included one showing the Amanero fitted.

So it's one of two things: - a. The Interface card doesn't work b. More likely the pins are not making good contact with the MB. I believe it's the pins that are not compatible with the MB. Upon further examination the pins weren't all the same exact length! But the MB requires round needles and I need to source the correct ones - I am in the UK. Please see pic of the Needle (pin) block soldered to the Amanero - I believe the needle block could be the one described in the attached .pdf and which can be ordered here: -

https://cpc.farnell.com/harwin/d01-...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!224645161149!!!network}!369064495613!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJmcpeva8QIVgp7tCh19FQ6dEAQYAyABEgLR1vD_BwE

I came across it yesterday quite by chance but before I pull the trigger and buy this block - could someone please advise me more please? I have little experience in fine soldering so I may go to a local shop to do it for me but I'd like to know if I'm on the right track as I've been pulling my hair out for too long now :(

Many thanks indeed

Attachments

• Original and Sourced Pin Blocks.jpg
    Original and Sourced Pin Blocks.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Pic A Small.jpg
    Pic A Small.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Pic B Small.jpg
    Pic B Small.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 12
  • Media Player Plugged into Singxer C1 Small.jpg
    Media Player Plugged into Singxer C1 Small.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Media Player Plugged into Amanero Small.jpg
    Media Player Plugged into Amanero Small.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210815_145807 Small.jpg
    20210815_145807 Small.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D01-992.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 3
I am not sure if your Singxer C-1 XMOS has the same I2S pin out as the regular/original Amanero I2S board. So you need to find out the exact I2S pins of Singxer xmos dac from its published datasheet/specs and most probably the pins may not be pin to pin compatible with your main dac board. If that is the case you need to some jumper cables and keep the Singxer dac next to the dac and connect the I2S pins. Not all Amanero clones have exact I2S pin out.

Hi again @manniraj thanks. As mentioned the description of the Singxer card stated "Screw I2S row needle position is fully compatible with Italian Amanero module" and it was this statement that fired me up to replace the Amanero card. I had hoped Ok so in summary: -

1. I need to know if the Pin Outs are a match between the 2 cards
2. Assuming they are a match, whether the needle block quoted in my last post is the same as that fitted to my Amanero Card so I can use it with the Singxer
3. If they are not a match, what then?

Taking my questions in order I am attaching a pic showing the 2 cards side by side (Amanero is the Green card) and a pic of the underside of the Singxer. Maybe from these you can determine if the Pin Outs match? I am also attaching the pdf to the original Amanero card from their website and this link provides more technical information on the Singxer: -

So I'd be grateful if you could now confirm the Pin Outs are a match - I am sure they are particularly given the descriptions in both pdfs - the one attached to this post says: - "Screw position, I2S pin position is fully compatible with Italy Amanero module" but I am a noob as already mentioned :rolleyes: The Pin marked "MCLK" was already snipped off from the block and so when the ill-fated block was soldered on to the Singxer, I asked that it too was snipped off. If they are a match, could you confirm the needle block in my previous post is what I need to replace the one currently soldered please?

If they are not a match could you explain exactly what I need to do please? - I had hoped you would be able to confirm from the Pics in post #6 that the Amanero is genuine. Where do I source small jumper leads and how do I attach them to the MB please?

I hope you don't mind helping me as I have been tearing my hair out for quite a while now.

Thanks again in anticipation

Attachments

• Amanero and Singxer Small 2.jpg
    Amanero and Singxer Small 2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Singxer Pin Outs Small.jpg
    Singxer Pin Outs Small.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 13
  • combo384-D.pdf
    341.1 KB · Views: 2
No response but during the past several weeks I have managed to acquire a different pin (needle) block which seemed a better match to the one in the Amanero Card. Got it soldered and Voila! All is very good indeed. The primary reason I bought this card to replace the Amanero was because it was stated that "the C-1 has a nicer sound with louder and firmer bass" - which would suit my setup and with a better Xmos chip.

I've got to say I concurr it is definately a step up from the Amanero :):):)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back