USB Music Streamer

saketgyani

Hello!

With the advice of a few audiophiles in this forum, I purchased my first stereo system more than a year ago.
I have a modest system of Marantz PM5005 amplifier driving Dali Zensor 1 loud speakers.
I recently added Topping E30 DAC to the chain and I now enjoy my system even more!

Most of the music I listen to is available on Spotify, and it is the only service I use to play music.
Currently, I play music on Spotify via a Google Chromecast connected to my Sony TV, which is connected to the Topping E30 DAC through Optical Cable.

While, this system works well for me, I do feel that I need a dedicated music streamer that can be connected to my DAC without the need to use my TV for music.

Hence, looking for a little box, that streams music from Spotify and gets connected to my DAC via USB.

Why USB: Well, Topping E30 performs the best when used with USB transports. DSD and all that jazz. Though I don't do DSD, I'd like to keep that option open, if at all I'd get into it. Also, the Optical input of the DAC is being used by my TV, so I'm left with only USB and Coaxial inputs.

I know, Allo USBridge Signature is a good option but currently, I don't want to spend close to ₹20000 for it.

Are there any cheaper alternatives (around ₹10000) for the same?

Probably a stupid question... does E30 dac connect to your mobile usb output? If yes then why not use that as a medium?

Btw I have taken a different way.. got ifi zen blue dac for streaming through my phone/ipad. It has a pretty solid performance.

couple of options:
a) a raspberry pi 4 - doesn’t combine usb and network bus so usb output supposed to better than the older version. Also has wifi
b) pick up a used allo usbridge (non signature version). Isolated usb so maybe better. No wifi though

Why don't you get a mini-toslink to toslink cable and connect the Chromecast audio to your DAC? This way you just need to invest in a good quality digital cable and by pass the TV to do multiple conversions and take its optical out. Chromecast digital out is pretty good and decent enough and well regarded as its 3.5mm port acts both as a headphone out as well as digital out. Just try it out you will be surprised as you already have a DAC which can take Optical input.

Probably a stupid question... does E30 dac connect to your mobile usb output? If yes then why not use that as a medium?
I read some posts about its issues with iPhones. I don't have an android, so can't test.
Apart from that, I'd just like to get a small box that I can control via my phone and stream Spotify. No frills. But somehow, the search only leads me to expensive products such as the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2.

couple of options:
a) a raspberry pi 4 - doesn’t combine usb and network bus so usb output supposed to better than the older version. Also has wifi
Why don't you get a mini-toslink to toslink cable and connect the Chromecast audio to your DAC? This way you just need to invest in a good quality digital cable and by pass the TV to do multiple conversions and take its optical out. Chromecast digital out is pretty good and decent enough and well regarded as its 3.5mm port acts both as a headphone out as well as digital out. Just try it out you will be surprised as you already have a DAC which can take Optical input.
I have Chromecast video that has HDMI output.
Used Chromecast Audio sells for unrealistic prices.
Apart from that, I think Chromecast can't do gapless playback and I love listening to whole albums.

couple of options:
b) pick up a used allo usbridge (non signature version). Isolated usb so maybe better. No wifi though
Yeah, something on the lines of USBridge is what I'm looking for but cheaper.
Maybe I can find one on this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
See if you can find a used Yamaha WXC 50. It’s a nice little thing that has a lot of loaded features. It will definitely solve most of the streaming issues. It does Spotify, Airplay, Tidal, Deezer and plays almost all formats on USB + it can also pick up songs from your laptop or NAS

Have you checked the DNM streamer from DNM Enterprise?
Thanks for the lead. Hadn't heard of it. But couldnt find much info online. Even their website is not very informative.
Have you used this streamer or know of someone who has?

See if you can find a used Yamaha WXC 50. It’s a nice little thing that has a lot of loaded features. It will definitely solve most of the streaming issues. It does Spotify, Airplay, Tidal, Deezer and plays almost all formats on USB + it can also pick up songs from your laptop or NAS
Yeah, It is a perfect fit for my requierement. If only it wasn't as expensive.

There is also one streamer option from Rasa Audio. Our veteran FM @venkatcr had experience with it.
The Rasa Audio's flagship streamer is a product that can give the best streamers a run for their money. At the same time, it certainly will not fit under 10K.
Thanks guys, for introducing me to Rasa Audio.
The features on the streamer look great!
It has a DAC built in, so it would be redundant as I already have an external DAC.
Looks tempting, but as @venkatcr said, it won’t fit under ₹10000.

Can anyone share more info on RASA player, like performance, cost, specs & availability.
Thanks!

Back