USB to optical/coax

amit11

Hi Friends,

Will a USB to SPDIF (optical / coaxial) convertor, change the sound signature via its output (opt/coax)?

As an example, there is one such convertor 'Signstek'. It takes input as USB and outputs opt/coax and also RCA. Chip is PCM2704.

Now, I am not interested in its RCA output which can be of so-so quality, assuming the output-stage of the circuit would be so-so quality.
However my understanding is the coax output would be perfect and would have the sound signature of PCM2704. I can feed that coax output to my schiit dac and get a taste of pcm2704.

Currently I am giving direct usb output to my schiit dac. Its good but somehow a bit flat. If PCM2704 chip is having good reviews, then its COAX output can be considered good aswell, right? In the sense that COAX is kind of digital and not affected by circuitry / output-stage which normally impacts an RCA analog out.

Last edited:
I used to use this device and the digital out has no affect on the sound. I was using this with my smsl sanskrit dac.

However it's now lying unused, let me know if you are interested to pick it.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I used to use this device and the digital out has no affect on the sound. I was using this with my smsl sanskrit dac.

MaSh

You mean to say that directly feeding signal from USB and feeding the same from USB converted to Coaxial/optical output would not make much difference to sound quality output?

That's correct. It's like a pass through. I do notice a slight difference if I feed the RCA directly to the amp. However USB to optical /coaxial to dac to amp, no change.

MaSh

MaSh

selling it??

selling it??

Hi Kumar,

Did you purchase..and if yes how did you find it? I am basically interested in its sound signature via SPDIF. My understanding is the chip inside this should impart its sonic signature to the SPDIF (and aswell as the RCA).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back