Use ethernet cable (CAT5/CAT6) for speaker cable

trumee

Hello,
Is it possible to use a CAT5/CAT6 cable as speaker cable?
I have a Denon X3700H which I would like to place in a room different to the TV. An ethernet cable (flat kind) would be easier to run than multiple speaker cables.

Thanks

Hello,
I have a Denon X3700H which I would like to place in a room different to the TV. An ethernet cable (flat kind) would be easier to run than multiple speaker cables.

Thanks
Individual pairs are too thin.

First thing is why do you want to do that? What are you trying to get at?
What is the system you are trying to connect? What is in the TV room?

Hello,

Thanks
That's not a good idea atleast from electrical prospective. LAN cable are designed to handle 5V, 200mA where as speaker cable may end up handling 30V, 5A (based on load). So, you may end up frying the Lan cable if you connect speakers to them.

Hello,

Thanks
Use Sata Cables for Speaker Cable ..
Quite Cheap and Works/Sounds much better than Finolex 6sqmm.
Much More discussed here

Post in thread 'The effect of cables - A sane debate' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/the-effect-of-cables-a-sane-debate.59567/post-791064

Use Sata Cables for Speaker Cable ..
Post in thread 'The effect of cables - A sane debate' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/the-effect-of-cables-a-sane-debate.59567/post-791064
It might be IDE Data cable (used on old model Hard discs) and not the Sata cable. Sata Cables are only for internal wiring and difficult to get more than 2 Ft length.
Data transfer through IDE is phased out from Computer applications, so sellers do not stock and getting in desirable length is also difficult.
But similar flat cables available online for electronics application can be looked into.

Last edited:
It might be IDE Data cable (used on old model Hard discs) and not the Sata cable. Sata Cables are only for internal wiring and difficult to get more than 2 Ft length.
Data transfer through IDE is phased out from Computer applications, so sellers do not stock and getting in desirable length is also difficult.
But similar flat cables available online for electronics application can be looked into.
Yes, sorry my bad, Its IDE cable not Sata.
I have tried multiple cables, Telephone cables, variety of power cables for the same purpose. But none made a good difference.

Another Good Option which got Good SQ was with Dish Antenna Cables (BNC type) . You'd need 2 on either side. If you want better SQ you can increase the cables to 4 on either side and braid them.

1.Bluejeans 10 White surpassed all these Speaker Cable experiments. This is a great cable and VFM too.

2. Kimber 4pr at 300rs Feet was better than Bluejeans 10 white, which was locally available with the Dealer. This is quite VFM and after this you need to spend at least 4 - 5 times to get Kimber 12Tc which is a significant upgrade.

3. A combination of 4 Solid Core Copper 1sq mm Cable + Multiple Fiber Copper Cables like Bluejeans 10 white or DAC Extreme 2 or Finolex 4 sqmm was way superior to option 1 & 2. That's mixing 2 types of speakers cables of same length and running in parallel from end to end. You'll get better results if one of them has spade connectors and other cable has Banana or Bare Wire.

BTW, I ended up upgrading to Kimber 12Tc then to Transparent Audio plus speaker cable and Later to Kimber Select 3033 speaker cable eventually. I haven't found anything decisively better than Kimber 3033 in my setup. Need to try Nordost Red Dawn, and other Reference Speaker Cables if I get a chance.

I'm leaving you with a picture of my last DIY speaker cable, that's a Combination of DAC Extreme 2 and Solid Core Copper 1sqmm x8 (from AliExpress) . It sounds better than options 1 and 2, and anyone can make out the difference.

Attachments

• 20210604_082931_compress90_resize_9.jpg
    20210604_082931_compress90_resize_9.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 28
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back