Use for old Bose

Jay5150

I have an old Bose AM-3 set at home and planning to set up a nice shiny new 5.1 at least and my question is this: Can I use the the AM3 base unit as a sub and the speakers as surrounds or something in a 5.1 or 7.1 system?

Thanks
Jay

am3iii_product.jpg

Last edited:
I dont see any reason why you should not use it. Your AMP should have speaker
connection terminals for individual speakers and a pre-out for the sub. You can
connect the pre-out to the sub. The bose should be a sub-sat setup mostly, so,
you can connect, say, the front left, front right speaker terminals from the AMP
to the small cube speakers and the remaining speaker terminals on the AMP can
be used for the other speakers you are planning for the 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Jay I think you can ...yes Timber matching ( I have yet to understand the concept so please google) will be an issue. What I understand that all speakers sound should be same .

BUT I THINK YOU HAVE TO USE SUB SAT COMBO....I was advised against using bose sats directly. Please confirm with experts.

In this forum you do not find much praise about bose. Also their audio parameters are not published.

Second option is buy a small 2 channel amp( maybe used) and make a mini music system.It will occupy less space and looks cute too.

OR what my feeling is there is a good demand for Bose in used market. so with online free ad portals (pm if you want to know more) sell the speakers.The money can be used for your 5.1 where it is always better if you buy total matching set..

I think this is a passive sub model (not sure though). If it is, the bass module needs to be connected to the amplified speaker outputs of the amp/avr and not to the un-amplified pre-out.

I think this is a passive sub model (not sure though). If it is, the bass module needs to be connected to the amplified speaker outputs of the amp/avr and not to the un-amplified pre-out.

this is what i was saying..thanks!

Yes, use the satellites as the rear speakers in the setup where they will not do much damage.

Buy your self a pair of "real speakers" for the front main (left and right channels) and a center channel speaker from the same brand (for timbre matching).

The bose bass module being passive will need an amp. You could buy one of these plate amps from madisound, cut a hole in the module and fix this. While you are at it, you can strengthen the flimsy bass module construction by adding some bracing.

Needs some work, but it is worth it if you still want to use the bose in a 5.1 setup.

Jay I think you can ...yes Timber matching ( I have yet to understand the concept so please google) will be an issue. What I understand that all speakers sound should be same .

BUT I THINK YOU HAVE TO USE SUB SAT COMBO....I was advised against using bose sats directly. Please confirm with experts.

In this forum you do not find much praise about bose. Also their audio parameters are not published.

Second option is buy a small 2 channel amp( maybe used) and make a mini music system.It will occupy less space and looks cute too.

OR what my feeling is there is a good demand for Bose in used market. so with online free ad portals (pm if you want to know more) sell the speakers.The money can be used for your 5.1 where it is always better if you buy total matching set..

I can confirm you can use the Bose Sat directly, i am using them for rear speakers with my Denon 1507 and they work fine, without any issues.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back