Used Monitor Audio Gold 7 Series vs Tannoy V1

ihkhan

Hi Guys,

There is an used Monitor Audio Gold 7 Series Bookshelf speakers for sale, auditioned, them sounded good, but a little bright. They cost about 14,000/-

Should I pick these up? or buy brand new Tannoy V1 Bookshelfs for about 16,000/- ?

Monitor speakers look a little old and aren't the most good looking ones, but still considering how expensive brand new Bookshelves from Monitor are, should I pick these up?

Yes Monitors are bright due to the ribbon tweeter and if you don't mind that go for monitor speakers.
BTW with which amp will you be paring the speakers?

I think the latest series is called GX hence you can't do a direct comparison of price with new speaker prices.

Hi Guys,

There is an used Monitor Audio Gold 7 Series Bookshelf speakers for sale, auditioned, them sounded good, but a little bright. They cost about 14,000/-

Should I pick these up? or buy brand new Tannoy V1 Bookshelfs for about 16,000/- ?

Pick the MA Gold. You can tame the brightness later.

Yes Monitors are bright due to the ribbon tweeter and if you don't mind that go for monitor speakers.

Ribbon tweeter doesn't make a speaker bright. It's a number of factors. There are a lot of speakers with ribbon tweeters that produce some of the most refined highs.

BTW with which amp will you be paring the speakers?

I am building a new system, don't have high budget hence looking at used speakers and AVRs.

What AVR would you suggest that I buy to pair with Monitors?

Basic usage is 60% movies, 40% music.

an AVR with the golds ?

if thats the case
buy any of the above 2 speakers
wont matter too much

hear them and decide what you like then and there as is

Last edited:
the above is true

but they are also a tad bit cloudy

having used them for years i have matured beyond them now

hence i would not advice you get a NAD unless you feel you will never upgrade

otherwise look for a cleaner amp that will work well with all speakers

the cheapest one i can think of is the advance acoustics, quads or arcams

the above is true

but they are also a tad bit cloudy

having used them for years i have matured beyond them now

hence i would not advice you get a NAD unless you feel you will never upgrade

otherwise look for a cleaner amp that will work well with all speakers

the cheapest one i can think of is the advance acoustics, quads or arcams

I totally agree with you Nama. Nad is bloat.

--
helium
CA 640c V2 + Luxman M-06a + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE / Vintage B&W DM4

Hi guys, thank you for your suggestions, I was not able to buy the MA Gold's... but was able to pick up a Wharfedale 9.2 speakers, they had been used for only for couple of months.. look as good as new. Mint condition. Was able to pick them up for 10k.

What do you think about this price?

and what Amp do you suggest with these Speakers/

Hi guys, thank you for your suggestions, I was not able to buy the MA Gold's... but was able to pick up a Wharfedale 9.2 speakers, they had been used for only for couple of months.. look as good as new. Mint condition. Was able to pick them up for 10k.

What do you think about this price?

and what Amp do you suggest with these Speakers/

These are very good speakers. Wharfedale's sound-signature is one of its own kind. 9 series has soft high end and so you should consider that when you look for amps.

These are very good speakers. Wharfedale's sound-signature is one of its own kind. 9 series has soft high end and so you should consider that when you look for amps.

So you mean to say that the Amps i look for should not be warm? can you be more precise? maybe throwing in some names of budget amps which might suit my speakers would be appreciated. :)

as adviced earlier
lokk for cleaner amps

used arcams,musical fideluty,acoustic research.advance asoustics etc
lower end marantz,denons

wharf 9.2 are nice speakers.

Put them on stands.

regarding amp - some folks like Nad + wharf and some suggest yamaha but try to do audition.

bangalore is a place where there is the possibility of visiting a few shops to decide what you like.

Please take that route.

mpw

I like NAD with Diamond 10 series. With 9 series, NAD sounds a little dull to me. The difference is not much though.

Thank you guys for the Suggestions...

@magma, I have mailed to to enquire about the Speaker stands, Do let me know where I can buy your brand in Bangalore.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back