Using my extra surround back avr terminals to power center speaker?

argurpreet321

Hi guys
A few days back I posted about static coming from my center channel using a Denon Avr 2113 when nothing is playing. Took it to the service center. They said its an issue with the main HDMI card costing 30000/- . I don’t want to spend so much on an old avr when everything else works fine. I don’t know whether they are right or not.
But in the meantime I was thinking of connecting the center speaker to the spare surround back terminals on the avr. I am using only 5.1. The receiver is 7.1 capable.
Would this be beneficial? How can I best make use of this arrangement to get Dolby or Dts sound like I used to?
Any help and ideas appreciated.

Hi guys
A few days back I posted about static coming from my center channel using a Denon Avr 2113 when nothing is playing. Took it to the service center. They said its an issue with the main HDMI card costing 30000/- . I don’t want to spend so much on an old avr when everything else works fine. I don’t know whether they are right or not.
But in the meantime I was thinking of connecting the center speaker to the spare surround back terminals on the avr. I am using only 5.1. The receiver is 7.1 capable.
Would this be beneficial? How can I best make use of this arrangement to get Dolby or Dts sound like I used to?
Any help and ideas appreciated.
The plan is good, however even if you use the biamp method, it would be for front channel only. There could be no way to route the center channel signal to those amps.

MaSh

How will you get center channel info from rear surrounds...???:confused:
I had an old Harman Kardon AVR that had separate Pre-amp out and Ins that were bridged externally
When one of the amp channels died, I flipped the bridging to achieve this.

Unlikely that will be the case here though

Hi guys
A few days back I posted about static coming from my center channel using a Denon Avr 2113 when nothing is playing. Took it to the service center. They said its an issue with the main HDMI card costing 30000/- . I don’t want to spend so much on an old avr when everything else works fine.

Don't think it is worth spending 30K to replace old HDMI board..

I don’t know whether they are right or not. But in the meantime I was thinking of connecting the center speaker to the spare surround back terminals on the avr. I am using only 5.1. The receiver is 7.1 capable. Would this be beneficial?

Yes, you can re-use the single center channel speaker as "single surr back".. Please check AVR manual on the connectivity options..

As other FM have already pointed out, re-routing the center isn't possible..

Best you can do is, set the center as "NO" in speaker menu, so the center channel information is re-routed to front speakers..

The AVR has "assignable surr back speaker terminals", but that is only between Surr back (or) front heights..

How can I best make use of this arrangement to get Dolby or Dts sound like I used to?

As long as your AVR is decoding the multi-channel audio, you would still continue to get the same sounds.. But the front would do additional duty of reproducing center channel info..

Don't think it is worth spending 30K to replace old HDMI board..

Yes, you can re-use the single center channel speaker as "single surr back".. Please check AVR manual on the connectivity options..

As other FM have already pointed out, re-routing the center isn't possible..

Best you can do is, set the center as "NO" in speaker menu, so the center channel information is re-routed to front speakers..

The AVR has "assignable surr back speaker terminals", but that is only between Surr back (or) front heights..

As long as your AVR is decoding the multi-channel audio, you would still continue to get the same sounds.. But the front would do additional duty of reproducing center channel info..
Another thing I wanted to point out here is that I have no space at the back to use the center speaker as surround back. My only way out was if I could somehow get the centre channel info from surround back terminals which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Back