Using Netbook as a music system

akshaysalkar

I was wondering if I can use Netbook as my dedicated music player. Attach it to a bunch of multimedia speakers and boom !!

How would that feel ?

Would that be a better option ? As against if i go for a micro-music-system (eg. sony, philips)

let us get something out of the way, for music multimedia speakers are a compromise, the onomatopoeia of the boom notwithstanding ...however i empathize with your enthusiasm.
for the past four months i haven't listened to anything but my computer..my marantz 6002 cd player is in a state of utter disuse..
anyway the lowdown is this...torrent downloads, cplay (thanks to vortex) a dac (thanks to odyssey) and relatively competent speakers and amplifiers, and a focus on what comprises music (for me its acoustic jazz, vocals and never hip hop or heavy metal)...so long as we live in that legally gray area of downloads i think what you are envisaging is the future which though already here is according to a wag not well distributed...
of course much is dependent on the components in your chain....but yes this one will be a better proposition than micro systems..

Last edited:
Would that be a better option ? As against if i go for a micro-music-system (eg. sony, philips)

It would be much better than a micro system. Quality would be dependent on the speakers (with built-in amplifier) that you purchase.

You gain

1. playlist
2. search by artist /genre / album
3. Single place of storage for music (Netbook's 80 GB storage should be enough for lots of music)
4. You can choose speakers
5. BONUS if your netbook has HDMI out.

You loose:
1. Remote control
2. FM Radio

If you want best of the best, then get a decent usb dac, maybe a async usb dac, and hook it to a good amp/ speaker.
If you already have a laptop, there is no problem in taking a demo, so you can always compare.

If you want best of the best, then get a decent usb dac, maybe a async usb dac, and hook it to a good amp/ speaker.
If you already have a laptop, there is no problem in taking a demo, so you can always compare.

+1 ^^

Netbooks, or for that matter even normal laptops are not going to have decent quality sound processors. And since these are "sealed" systems, you will not be able to add an internal PCI/PCI-E soundcard. So an external USB DAC or soundcard is the only option for good quality output.

Between a plain vanilla netbook & a music system, you'd probably get better sound quality with a music system. The netbook would score with flexibility (Playlists, Storage, etc).

But if you are able to add a decent external USB soundcard/DAC, then the playing field changes. Paired with good quality speakers, this should be able to beat the socks off a normal music system.

Netbooks, or for that matter even normal laptops are not going to have decent quality sound processors.

If Laptop/Netbook has digital out (mostly HDMI these days), this would not be an issue.

For 5 channel audio, CPU alone is more than enough for audio processing (Instead of handling audio in sound processors). And with digital out, DAC does not come into picture at all.

Last edited:
he means laptop's "internal dac" doesn't come in picture. If you use digital out via usb/ hdmi or optical - you would need external sound card/ dac.

If Laptop/Netbook has digital out (mostly HDMI these days), this would not be an issue.

For 5 channel audio, CPU alone is more than enough for audio processing (Instead of handling audio in sound processors). And with digital out, DAC does not come into picture at all.

DAC of AVR or ant other amplifier would be used and DAC in Laptop (Or external sound card) would not be required. In that case, there should not be any impact on audio quality.

- Well not sure if hdmi out is there ? I wonder ?

- Also even if it had a HDMI out, the speakers / multimedia should have a input.

Yes, both Netbook / Laptop and speakers should have digital interface.

You can start with Logitech speakers that have digital input.

And later you might proceed to an AVR + 2.1 / 5.1 speakers ;)

I have been using my Desktop and Laptop Computer along with a pair of Altec Speakers for my regular music listening. I forgot the last time I switched my Hi Fi to listen to music.............:cool:)

Greatest benefit of Computer Audio is you can listen to music and work at the same time.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back