Valuate an LP

subhayu

Hi, I have just bought a Rolling Stones LP called Rock 'N' Rolling Stones. The disc was manufactured in Holland and is in near-mint condition, though the sleeve is a little damaged. It's basically a compilation album, but the funny part is, I found very few mentions of it on the internet.
Does anyone know if the LP is rare? I would not sell it, but it would just give me a collector's satisfaction.

Subhayu :)

Rolling Stones collectables are typically the 60s albums on the original UK Decca label, preferably the unboxed 'Decca' red labels, and more valuable in Mono as compared with Stereo. The US 'London' issues are not much prized.

Many European labels, especially in France and Holland, issued compilations as well as regular releases, with different titles. While not top dollar items, they have some value to hard core Stones collectors, who, like their Beatles counterparts, are looking for every variation they can find. For example, a mint copy of an early 60s Beatles or Stones LP pressed in India can probably fetch you a decent price if you try.

Thanks a ton for the rather helpful reply, G401fan. The disc, as I said, is manufactured in Holland, not India. It is in stereo, and manufactured under the Decca label.

By the way, what is an "unboxed Decca red label"?

Hi,
I got the bit about the Holland manufacture first time around.

Decca labels in the early to mid 60s were fully red in colour, with the word 'Decca' in the 12 noon position. By the late 60s, the word Decca was within a rectangular border, referred to as 'Boxed', and the label also was changed to blue. Collectors generally look for the 'unboxed' Decca red labels, as they were the first pressings. First pressings, in general, sound better, as they were made from stampers that were created from the earliest copies of the 'Master Tape'. Later pressings, reissues, pressings from other countries, were made from copies of copies (lord knows which generation) of the original master tape, and if further dogged by poor quality control at the pressing plant, would typically have lower fidelity compared with first pressings. This generally matters with original LP releases. Compilations are rarely considered to be collectable.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back