valve Radios and valves

Dear Mr. Hiten

Philips India produced tree models of prestige.
1. 15RB505/00Z - 1969
2. 15RB525/00Z - 1971
3. 15RB525/11Z - 1972

The dial glass in all the three is different. The dial glass could be obtained only from a scrap set. If you want I can try. May be the radio set will have to be purchased.

Regard

P.Rajan
as posted earlier model is 15RB505/00Z. If glass plate is perfect without bubbles will buy whole radio. Will PM you.
Thanks

Dear Mr. Hiten

The following prestige models were manufactured
1. 15RB505/00Z - 1969
2. 15RB525/00Z - 1971
3. 15RB525/11Z - 1972

In all the above the sets there were some changes in the Dial.
It will be difficult to get the dial but you may get an old set from which the dial could be taken out. I have to try.

Regards

P.Rajan

Pearl enterprises, Lamington road, Mumbai.phone no 022-23872181

Rajan, thank you for the detailed post. Once we had one Philips BiAmpli (Holland) mono in our home during Golden Era-60's, I cant forget the luxurious tube sound, Piano key buttons and Laquered wooden cabinet!!! WOW! The Spekers were covered with cloth bag as we couldnt see the cone paper from the rear side. Rajan, which models of the BiAmpli do you like for the sound quality?
Thank you.
Dear Mr. sunder
Philips India manufactured four radios with transformer less push pull amplifier and and 800 speakers. Both the speakers were of 800 ohms. They were
1. B5CA86A
2. B5CA97A
3. B6CA86A
4. B6CA97A
The radios 1 &2 were basically same just with some changes. Similarly Radio set 3 & 4 were same with some changes. I have the set B6CA97A. This was a bigger set than the B5CA.... The sound quality I think is the Best. The cabinet is also of wood and it is BIG. B5CA had Bakelite cabinet.I am also having the following bi ampli sets:
5. B6CA37A
6. B6CA38A
7. B6CA58A
8. B6CA77A

These sets had one 5 ohms speaker and one 800 ohm speaker. But These sets were with single EL84 valve whereas B6CA97A had 2nos EL86 in Series.
The power output of the sets 5 to 8 was less but still the quality was good.
I have a radiogram with the set B6CA38A bought new in 1965. But Philips Bolland manufactured no of models with 800 ohm speaker and push pull O/P stage.
I have a restored one set BX798X- 1949 with a 10", 7 ohm Speaker having EL41 in push pull. The sound Quality is simply Great. I will send the photos in my next reply.

Regards

P.Rajan

800 Ohm speakers:eek: Never heard of them before!!

Dear Mr. Rajesh

Only Philips manufactured 800 ohms speakers. They were used for amplifiers with transformer less output stages with 2 X EL86 or one each EL86 & EL84 or One each EL84 & UL41 in series.
The sound quality used to be very good. Philips also manufactured 400 ohm and 700 ohm speakers.

Regards

P.Rajan

Pandu,
Its a blessing in disguise to have you here!
I have a Bush Valve Radio which I had given to Linzer Radio to service after one of our forum members recommended. Big Mistake! Radio was lying with him for almost year and half and he was not able to even fix it.
Will you be able to have a look at my radio & restore it if possible? Please let me know
Dear Mr. Johny

I have all the service manuals of Philips radio sets but for Bush Radio sets only few. Which is the model no? Without the service manual you cannot do justice to the work.

Regards

P.Rajan

what valves are you looking for

Dear sir

I am looking for the following valves:

ECH21,EF22. EBL21, AZ4, EM34,EM4,EL86,EM84.

Regards

P.Rajan

Hello P. Rajan,
My model no. is 15RB505/00Z. My glass plate is intact but has developed bubbles. Here is a BW picture.
8tjo.jpg

I need plate without any bubbles. I have put Thinner on printed part (See small top right corner) It removed the bubbles but found it risky as paint flakes may come off. I have also made the exact replica artwork and was going to screen print it. But its little cumbersome work.
Regards

Dear Mr Hiten

I will Try for the dial. I case I come across the radio set I shall call you. Please do not try to clean the back side of the dial otherwise cure will be worse than the disease. The printing of the sets manufactured after 1957 had dual colour. One gold and the other dark brown or Black. Very Difficult to do this.

Regards

P.Rajan

Dear Mr. sunder
Philips India manufactured four radios with transformer less push pull amplifier and and 800 speakers. Both the speakers were of 800 ohms. They were
1. B5CA86A
2. B5CA97A
3. B6CA86A
4. B6CA97A
The radios 1 &2 were basically same just with some changes. Similarly Radio set 3 & 4 were same with some changes. I have the set B6CA97A. This was a bigger set than the B5CA.... The sound quality I think is the Best. The cabinet is also of wood and it is BIG. B5CA had Bakelite cabinet.I am also having the following bi ampli sets:
5. B6CA37A
6. B6CA38A
7. B6CA58A
8. B6CA77A

These sets had one 5 ohms speaker and one 800 ohm speaker. But These sets were with single EL84 valve whereas B6CA97A had 2nos EL86 in Series.
The power output of the sets 5 to 8 was less but still the quality was good.
I have a radiogram with the set B6CA38A bought new in 1965. But Philips Bolland manufactured no of models with 800 ohm speaker and push pull O/P stage.
I have a restored one set BX798X- 1949 with a 10", 7 ohm Speaker having EL41 in push pull. The sound Quality is simply Great. I will send the photos in my next reply.

Regards

P.Rajan

Dear Mr. Sunder

Here are some photos of the radio set which I have restored. The radio Gram was bought new in 1965. The assembled was made by me in 1975. It Is a combination of Philips Holland ans Philips India. The RF/IF is from the set BX685A and the audio amplifier is of the set 15RB697. The attachment 7-small is actually the set B6CA97A.

Regards

P.Rajan

Dear Mr. Sunder

Here are some photos of the radio set which I have restored. The radio Gram was bought new in 1965. The assembled was made by me in 1975. It Is a combination of Philips Holland ans Philips India. The RF/IF is from the set BX685A and the audio amplifier is of the set 15RB697. The attachment 7-small is actually the set B6CA97A.

Regards

P.Rajan

There are few more photos

Regards

P.Rajan

Attachments

• Assembled set -S.jpg
    Assembled set -S.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 15RB708-00S-6.jpg
    15RB708-00S-6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 159
  • B6CA37A-01-4.jpg
    B6CA37A-01-4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 158
  • B6CA38A-Radio Gram-2.jpg
    B6CA38A-Radio Gram-2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 7-small.jpg
    7-small.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 157
  • BX665Xsmall.jpg
    BX665Xsmall.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 148
  • BX765X-a.jpg
    BX765X-a.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 146
  • BX798X-S.jpg
    BX798X-S.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Rajan,

Thanks for posting. Good memories. Do you do all restoring including woodwork and electronics by yourself? Even getting a simple wood work job is a challenge these days. Either way to get these vintage pieces to such a detailed finish, let alone the functionality is a marvellous job.:clapping::clapping:

Gopi

^ excellent restoration work.
The printing of the sets manufactured after 1957 had dual colour. One gold and the other dark brown or Black. Very Difficult to do this.
Mine has dark brown, gold and white colors.
regds.

Mr. Rajan,

Thanks for posting. Good memories. Do you do all restoring including woodwork and electronics by yourself? Even getting a simple wood work job is a challenge these days. Either way to get these vintage pieces to such a detailed finish, let alone the functionality is a marvellous job.:clapping::clapping:

Gopi
Dear Mr. Gopi

The woodwork and the polishing I get it done by a good carpenter and the rest I do it myself. The restoration work means bringing it to its original condition and no modification to be done. This includes cleaning the chasis painting and checking each and every component and any replacement with the original value and checking the wiring including screened wires. Finally the IF and RF alignment to get the original sensitivity. This all work takes a lot of time. I will post the photos of one of the sets before and after restoration

Regards

P.Rajan

Dear Sir,
I have seen your restoration work posted by a member here.Your work is top class:thumbsup:

Regards,
Sachin

Dear Rajan, thank you for the photos. Exemplary collection!! Dont stop the searching for the rare sets. Still I am searching for German,English tube radios. My ambition is to get the Grundig-Majestic series 5490. King of Radios! My brother has one in fine condition since 1982. That radio made in the year 1965.
Thank you Rajan,
Regards.

Dear Mr. Gopi

The woodwork and the polishing I get it done by a good carpenter and the rest I do it myself. The restoration work means bringing it to its original condition and no modification to be done. This includes cleaning the chasis painting and checking each and every component and any replacement with the original value and checking the wiring including screened wires. Finally the IF and RF alignment to get the original sensitivity. This all work takes a lot of time. I will post the photos of one of the sets before and after restoration

Regards

P.Rajan

I am posting here few photos of the radio set BX798X the chasis part before and after restoration. It took me a lot of time to complete the job.

Regards

P.Rajan

Attachments

• BX798X-9.jpg
    BX798X-9.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 176
  • BX798X-10.jpg
    BX798X-10.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 175
  • BX798X-7.jpg
    BX798X-7.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 171
  • BX798X-11.jpg
    BX798X-11.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 174
Dear Rajan, thank you for the photos. Exemplary collection!! Dont stop the searching for the rare sets. Still I am searching for German,English tube radios. My ambition is to get the Grundig-Majestic series 5490. King of Radios! My brother has one in fine condition since 1982. That radio made in the year 1965.
Thank you Rajan,
Regards.

what about SABA?

Amazing work on restoration of BX798X.
Even expert would think twice before dismantling and reassembling such complicated valve radios circuits, delicate coils, tuning, dusty gangs, ift coils. Excellent restoration work.
Regards

Amazing work on restoration of BX798X.
Even expert would think twice before dismantling and reassembling such complicated valve radios circuits, delicate coils, tuning, dusty gangs, ift coils. Excellent restoration work.
Regards
Dear Mr. Hiten

BX798X was the top class radio in 1949 and costly also. It used to cost 1000Rs in those times. It had 11 valves. The Quality of the sound is simply great. You Can see the gang condenser which has 6 sections. Three for the band-spread bands and three for the normal bands. It had tuned RF stage. When I got the set the drum on the gang condenser had been replaced by some other drum having different dia. I had to get the drum fabricated as per original dimensions.Even the band indication pulley had to be fabricated as the original was missing. You can see this on the left side of the chasis.
The Audio amplifier of the radio set BX765X was the most complicated I have come across. It had a special features of Contrast Expansion and Overload Control. For this so many condensers and resistances had been used. It was very difficult to work on the set. Also for the above two features to work properly some condensers and resistances were very critical. Any minor leakage in the condensers was totally disturbing the working of the audio amplifier. Since the original black capacitors were bound to become leaky so I had to replace all of them keeping in mind to keep the original values.
This all used to take a lot of time. Even the alignment is difficult.
I am attaching some photos of the set before and after restoration. In These Sets the chasis used to be three sections. The left was the RF and 1st IF. The centre was teh power supply.The right side part used to be the 2nd iF and audio amplifier. You an see from the audio amplifier photo how complicated it is.

Regards

P.Rajan

Attachments

• BX765X-5.jpg
    BX765X-5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 163
  • BX765X-8.jpg
    BX765X-8.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 161
  • BX765X-11.jpg
    BX765X-11.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 164
  • P1000083.jpg
    P1000083.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 160
  • BX765X-9.jpg
    BX765X-9.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 157
Dear Mr Rajan,

My Bush EU51 radio under restoration but the problem is I am unable to find I.F.Ts which are damage. Please give some advice regarding IFT.

Few picture of the set..

kaqm.jpg

ctna.jpg

ez2m.jpg

zzrh.jpg

zg9v.jpg

umlo.jpg

Dear Mr Rajan,

My Bush EU51 radio under restoration but the problem is I am unable to find I.F.Ts which are damage. Please give some advice regarding IFT.

Few picture of the set..

kaqm.jpg

ctna.jpg

ez2m.jpg

zzrh.jpg

zg9v.jpg

umlo.jpg

Dear Mr. Arinda
This seems to me an imported Bush Set. Because the valve series is the 41 Series and this was never manufactured in India and was imported. Even Philips used the 41 series till 1955/56. It was then taken over by the 81 series. The IFT is the heart of the radio section of the set. Anything wrong in the IFT and the set does not perform properly. I am not aware of the IF frequency of the Bush sets But Philips used 452KhZ as the IF frequency in all their sets. So Unless an until the IFT of the correct frequency is replaced the radio set will not work properly. You have to try to search for the same.
Actually what is wrong with the IFT? In the IFT there is a coil and a capacitor connected in parallel. The coil D.C. resistance and the value of the capacitor should be O.K. Also the adjustable cores should move freely.

Regards

P.Rajan

what about SABA?

Shafic, sorry I just noticed your post. Yes, SABA and Graetz are luxury brands of European tube radios of that day. Graetz-Sinfonia 622 was top class. In SABA, the series of Freiburg and Freudenstadt 6-3D were high end models. If you find those radios in original condition, dont miss.
Thank you,
Regards.

Back