Velleman K4020 MOSFET amp

Subbu68

Urge to build another amp is brewing up.

Looked at First Watt F5, Jean Hiraga, Kizuka amp from Jim Audio. I have to get the kit imported.

To avoid that I tried my luck with a local electronics store in Abu Dhabi. The guy said he has Vellman K4020.

Details such as circuit diagram is in that download section in the link above.

It is a discontinued product but still available here with this shop. Cost is around INR 40k.

You get a complete kit with the enclosure, power supply etc.

Has anyone tried this kit? If so, does it have any issue, how does it perform?

OR Can someone who is an expert look at the circuit and has any comment on it?

Thanks in advance

Class A with those figures 😮 sounds too good to be true. I just browsed few online forums and a guy had his speakers blowed.

Another group of people talking here.

Why not check not assemble First Watt F5 or Jean Hiraga by your self. You are superb with DIY and electronics, no need of kits. It might be a lot cheaper than 40k.

Class A with those figures 😮 sounds too good to be true. I just browsed few online forums and a guy had his speakers blowed.

Another group of people talking here.

Why not check not assemble First Watt F5 or Jean Hiraga by your self. You are superb with DIY and electronics, no need of kits. It might be a lot cheaper than 40k.
My plan is to assemble a F5 or JH.

We have to depend on imports (for every day needs even) and importing to UAE is expensive. Courier charges for a F5 chassis is more than 50% of the cost of the chassis. Had it been available inclusive of everything from one source it would have been a relief.

From Jim Audio I could get all the electronics but again the chassis would be an issue. Getting someone to make it here in Abu Dhabi could be a nightmare. You can get your Maseratti or Roll Royce (if rich enough to own it) repaired but these kinds of stuff is not so easy.

I too read of the speaker blowing but Velleman have said to increase the caps if using lower impedance speakers. Perhaps this guy did not and got his speaker clipped.

I agree, why not just import the heatsinks of the size you want and get the rest amp made out of ply or some other materials which you may get in your location.

Hello,

Did you ever read the HFV Private Mail I sent you last week, about improving your Elekit - TU8200 resistors ??

My suggestions would be safe, cost-effective, and show an tangible improvement to your system's overall audio performance.

Curious why I never got a response?

Jeff

Hello,

Did you ever read the HFV Private Mail I sent you last week, about improving your Elekit - TU8200 resistors ??

My suggestions would be safe, cost-effective, and show an tangible improvement to your system's overall audio performance.

Curious why I never got a response?

Jeff
Sorry Jeff I did not reply.

I had replaced the caps suggested in the Elekit manual and i think in DIYA forum. Replaced the cathode bypass and coupling caps though not with exotic ones. Got a marked improvement and left it at that. Would think of the resistors now.

I was looking to build another amp but this time solid state. Hence, this question.

Sorry Jeff I did not reply.

I had replaced the caps suggested in the Elekit manual and i think in DIYA forum. Replaced the cathode bypass and coupling caps though not with exotic ones. Got a marked improvement and left it at that. Would think of the resistors now.

I was looking to build another amp but this time solid state. Hence, this question.
If you send me your email address, I will send you very specific instructions, on 12 resistors total, that will make a nice difference. I was unable to attach the schematic I prepared for you, in HFV's Private Mail resource.

But I can easily email the schematic and information direct, outside of HFV's PM system, if I knew your email address.

You can PM it to me, to keep it private. It will be audible, and you will like it, just as you liked the caps. I can help you source the correct parts. NO value changes, just far better sounding resistors. Not stupidly expensive, but effective.

Most solid state stuff , including things from Nelson Pass, leaves me cold. But everyone has different tastes. We live and learn ! Improve what you have, it is so easy to do.

Jeff

My plan is to assemble a F5 or JH.

We have to depend on imports (for every day needs even) and importing to UAE is expensive. Courier charges for a F5 chassis is more than 50% of the cost of the chassis. Had it been available inclusive of everything from one source it would have been a relief.

From Jim Audio I could get all the electronics but again the chassis would be an issue. Getting someone to make it here in Abu Dhabi could be a nightmare. You can get your Maseratti or Roll Royce (if rich enough to own it) repaired but these kinds of stuff is not so easy.
If you have mallu friends, you could explore getting the components in India and asking someone to carry them for you... And cnc/laser cutting and milling do seem to be available in dubai. You could do a Diy enclosure. Or maybe import something from aliexpress.
Just suggestions - you know the ground reality.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back