Velodyne Subwoofer feedback from users

bhaskie

Folks!

I am planning to audition these two velodyne subwoofers:
Velodyne CHT-10q - 40K
Velodyne SPL800i - 45K
(Delhi Prices)

Anyone who has auditioned these extensively or owns any of them?
Are these velodynes overpriced?

My room is 12x12 and I am looking for tight, de-localised bass, mainly for movies. For music I will be using floorstanders probably.

Any other good subwoofers in the sub 30K range which are really VFM and good with movies (other than polk dsw600)?

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Hi Bhaskie,

I don't own the exact models you have mentioned but I own the SPL 1200R. I like it a lot. I like the tight and clear bass. It has 4 different EQ modes and comes with the auto EQ feature. I paid 80k at that time when it was selling for $1599 in US. Generally the sealed box subs cost more. I think its because the sealed box also requires a high powered amp apart from the design elements. About the money value part, its upto you to decide. Some may think its expensive others may think otherwise. The problem is you may not be able to audition the velodyne subs. Since you are in Delhi, you may be able to do it in Acounstic Arts - the distributor for India.

Good Luck,
SilentSound.

Thanks for the feedback!

I did talk to sunny (acoustic arts at GK) and he said he will send a few subwoofers for home audition when I am ready with my setup. so no issues there!

I am hoping something like SPL 800i would be enough for my small room. What amp are you using to drive the 1200R?

Cheers!
Bhaskie

Hi Bhaskie,

I don't own the exact models you have mentioned but I own the SPL 1200R. I like it a lot. I like the tight and clear bass. It has 4 different EQ modes and comes with the auto EQ feature. I paid 80k at that time when it was selling for $1599 in US. Generally the sealed box subs cost more. I think its because the sealed box also requires a high powered amp apart from the design elements. About the money value part, its upto you to decide. Some may think its expensive others may think otherwise. The problem is you may not be able to audition the velodyne subs. Since you are in Delhi, you may be able to do it in Acounstic Arts - the distributor for India.

Good Luck,
SilentSound.

Folks!

I am planning to audition these two velodyne subwoofers:
Velodyne CHT-10q - 40K
Velodyne SPL800i - 45K
(Delhi Prices)

Anyone who has auditioned these extensively or owns any of them?
Are these velodynes overpriced?

The pricing seems overboard for the subs. The 800i has an 8 inch driver and is more musical than CHT which is better suited for HT (movies). I strongly suggest to go for the 10 inch as the 8 might seem underpowered for movies.

You have not menioned the speakers you use - your room is small and you should buy only after audition. If you have a 5.1 system with subwoofer equalization then the key issues will be the rolloff of your Front L + R speakers and the sub should complement your speakers. Under 25K and for your room size 12x12 you can consider the small, cylindrical Anthony Gallo subwoofer which has excellent transient response "punch" and is quite compact.
By the way I like Velodyne and have the HGS15 which builds a solid, deep floor for the lowest octave where my main floorstanding speakers are rolled off. But my room is 23x27ft. Transient response is only average, which can be expected in this size of sub.

hi, i guess u must have already got your sub by now,,i own the CHT12R at about 43k,my rooms abt 18/20ft ,,,the sub is good for HT (as thats its main use) it has very tight bass ,its connected to Onkyo 875,,,,,but i wud have preferd the CHT15R coz my main spkrs (jamo C809) are very bass heavy,,so it depends on your mains

The pricing seems overboard for the subs. The 800i has an 8 inch driver and is more musical than CHT which is better suited for HT (movies). I strongly suggest to go for the 10 inch as the 8 might seem underpowered for movies.

well these prices were quoted by the acoustic art guy (GK, Delhi), so i dont think I can get them cheaper in india. i havnt asked for any discount though. He has agreed to let me home-audition several subs and choose the one that goes the best, so thats a good thing.

hi, i guess u must have already got your sub by now,,i own the CHT12R at about 43k,my rooms abt 18/20ft ,,,the sub is good for HT (as thats its main use) it has very tight bass ,its connected to Onkyo 875,,,,,but i wud have preferd the CHT15R coz my main spkrs (jamo C809) are very bass heavy,,so it depends on your mains

thanks for the response subhash. No, I haven't bought them yet. My room is small (12x12), so will the CHT-10q do just fine? (the q series has replaced the R series i think).

I will be using these with Dali Ikon 2 bookshelves as fronts and Dali Lektor 1 as rears (till now thats the plan!).

Cheers!
Bhaskie

thanks for the response subhash. No, I haven't bought them yet. My room is small (12x12), so will the CHT-10q do just fine? (the q series has replaced the R series i think).

I will be using these with Dali Ikon 2 bookshelves as fronts and Dali Lektor 1 as rears (till now thats the plan!).

Cheers!
Bhaskie

hi,the CHT10R/Q has some excellent reviews,and is highly rated ,have not heard them,,,,moreover i thnk it wud be ideal for your room size and bookshelves,but audition them before buying,also do chk out subs from wharfadale and definitive

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back