Velodyne subwoofer repair

vkalia

Hi all -

As I start the much-delayed (10+ years... dont ask!) process of putting my system back together, I am trying to figure out if my 15-yr old Velodyne sub can be repaired and/or the driver replaced.

Anyone know if that is possible? Either via a Velo dealer or a third-party speaker builder as well.

Thanks!

Hi all -

As I start the much-delayed (10+ years... dont ask!) process of putting my system back together, I am trying to figure out if my 15-yr old Velodyne sub can be repaired and/or the driver replaced.

Anyone know if that is possible? Either via a Velo dealer or a third-party speaker builder as well.

Thanks!

Hi,
I can repair your Velodine sub driver with original genuine American parts.
1. What is the woofer size ?, / model no. of the box ?,/ and sub driver part or model no., if any ??????.
2. Do you see any parts damage ?, Can you post some pics of the sub-driver.
Vivek (aka: SIDEWINDER18X)

Hi Vivek -

Let me check this and get back to you in a couple of weeks (am out of the country right now). The sub was in working condition when I moved back to India, but it's been stuck in a box for a long time in storage for a bunch of reasons, and so i expect will need some repairs.

I'll PM you when I am back and have the info.

Btw, will you also be able to convert the power supply from 120V to 220V or should I just use an external PS converter?

Thanks!

Hi Vivek -
Btw, will you also be able to convert the power supply from 120V to 220V or should I just use an external PS converter?
Thanks!

Can you be more specific on everything ?. Which power supply ????.
Provide clear & specific detail before I can say something.

Anyways my speakers are also making waves in your Andaman's. A rental guy Raju is using my 15 inches. his mail id is ...... [email protected]

Can you be more specific on everything ?. Which power supply ????.
Provide clear & specific detail before I can say something.

I am referring to the only power supply in a subwoofer that would be relevant to the 120V/220V discussion: the power input from the mains.

My Velo is set up to work with US voltage and I'd like to convert it to work with Indian mains voltage if I can, to avoid needing a separate box.

I am referring to the only power supply in a subwoofer that would be relevant to the 120V/220V discussion: the power input from the mains.

My Velo is set up to work with US voltage and I'd like to convert it to work with Indian mains voltage if I can, to avoid needing a separate box.

Is that power supply a conventional step down transformer based ?
If yes !, Then check whether they have used E I transformer or Toroidal transformer ???.
If it's E I ,Then it can be rewound to adapt 220v but you will loose efficiency. The output current will be half. Not advisable. Best effective solution is ..........

1. Get made a similar rating transformer with 220v primary in E I or Toroid from any good manufacturer. :)

2. If the power supply is SMPS based. Get support from Velodyne. I am sure they will provide you the correct information on the modification to the schematics to adapt it for 220v operations. :)

If both of these options are not practical for you. Then you'll have to stick on to the box. :sad:

^^ Good questions. I have no idea, as I havent opened up the innards of the subwoofer ever (back then, it was under Velodyne warranty).

I'll be in touch about repairing the driver coils anyway - perhaps then we can see if anything can be done about the input PS.

Thanks again.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back