Very new here. Need help with setup

Skasera

Hello members
As everyone here, i too have started my journey into the hifi world. Although with no or very little knowledge, i had to plan my rooms interior and equipments. I have always fancied a nice set of speakers in my room as i listen to music and watch series in my free time. Somehow I wasns't too convinced by the way bose speakers sounded (probably the best known consumer brand in India).

This is how i started my journey. After auditioning a few soeaker brands, i narrowed down to a pair of kef q300's. this was easy as it fit my budget and i clearly didnt see any competition there. As soon as i thought my worries ended, i guess i was wrong. This whole bit of selecting an amp for my speakers has been a lot more tedious than what i thought it would be like. Not having the option of auditioning much amps (since i stay in kolkata and there are barely any places here) i started reading reviews and what others felt.

My main concern is that i want to use these speakers with my television too. My last system was a sony 5.1 system which really sucked, but i loved the convenience in which it operated. It was very well integrated and i could use it for my tv, dvd, cd, ps3 with ease. I was honestly looking for the same bit of convenience for my new set of speakers.

Any input here would be more than worthy. Looking forward to hear from all you audiofanatics!

This whole bit of selecting an amp for my speakers has been a lot more tedious than what i thought it would be like. Not having the option of auditioning much amps (since i stay in kolkata and there are barely any places here) i started reading reviews and what others felt.

Promises Instruments, Theater Rd.
Harmonie Audio, New Alipore
Watt Effects, Southern Avenue
A V Square, Behind Lake Market, Rashbehari Avenue
ProFX, Triangular Park, Gariahat.
Sonodyne, South City Mall/ Mani Square
SKS Traders, Sarat Bose Road.

Hey thank you for you promt reply. I was particularly looking to audition either Arcam or NAD for my setup. Would you know if its available in Kolkata?

Try Harmonie Audio for Arcam and Promises for NAD. Have you bought the Q300 already? If yes, then carry those for the audition.

If you just want to use multiple sources, an integrated amplifier would do. But, if you want surround sound you have to plonk for an AVR. And, a few more speakers :p

Try Harmonie Audio for Arcam and Promises for NAD. Have you bought the Q300 already? If yes, then carry those for the audition.

If you just want to use multiple sources, an integrated amplifier would do. But, if you want surround sound you have to plonk for an AVR. And, a few more speakers :p

Agree with Shuv.

You need to figure out whether you want a stereo (2.0) setup or a Home theatre (5.1 or 7.1) setup. Depending upon that, you will have to buy a stereo integrated amplifier (for 2.0) or AVR (for 5.1/7.1). If you are buying an AVR, you will also need to add more speakers (Centre, rears & sub-woofer).

How do you best decide which is good for you? If you watch movies/TV shows most of the time and spend less time listening to music, then a Home theatre might be more suitable for you. On the other hand, if music is priority, then a stereo setup would suffice. However, things get more complicated when you have equal preference for both. In this case, the best bet (in my opinion) would be to buy an AVR that also sounds decent for music (Marantz and NAD are well known for this) and setup a home theatre system around this.

Have heard very good things about Vasu from Harmonie Audio. Please visit him, and he may be able to give you some pointers based on your requirements. All said, never buy anything in audio without hearing them first.

Best Regards,
APK

Last edited:
My last system was a sony 5.1 system which really sucked, but i loved the convenience in which it operated. It was very well integrated and i could use it for my tv, dvd, cd, ps3 with ease. I was honestly looking for the same bit of convenience for my new set of speakers.

Any input here would be more than worthy. Looking forward to hear from all you audiofanatics!

Since you need more connectivity options and ease of connectivity, I would suggest an AVR probably 7.2 with 2 zones , one for 5.1 and other for stereo but all depends upon you budget. Please mention your budget so that it will be easy for other FMs to suggest ?

Hello
I have already purchased q300s is i fell in love with it.
I am only looking for a stereo setup as of now.

Agree with Shuv.

You need to figure out whether you want a stereo (2.0) setup or a Home theatre (5.1 or 7.1) setup. Depending upon that, you will have to buy a stereo integrated amplifier (for 2.0) or AVR (for 5.1/7.1). If you are buying an AVR, you will also need to add more speakers (Centre, rears & sub-woofer).

How do you best decide which is good for you? If you watch movies/TV shows most of the time and spend less time listening to music, then a Home theatre might be more suitable for you. On the other hand, if music is priority, then a stereo setup would suffice. However, things get more complicated when you have equal preference for both. In this case, the best bet (in my opinion) would be to buy an AVR that also sounds decent for music (Marantz and NAD are well known for this) and setup a home theatre system around this.

Have heard very good things about Vasu from Harmonie Audio. Please visit him, and he may be able to give you some pointers based on your requirements. All said, never buy anything in audio without hearing them first.

Best Regards,
APK

Hello
I am only looking for a stereo setup as i listen to music 70% and series 30%
Thank you for your advice to visit Vasu
Ill do that asap :)

Since you need more connectivity options and ease of connectivity, I would suggest an AVR probably 7.2 with 2 zones , one for 5.1 and other for stereo but all depends upon you budget. Please mention your budget so that it will be easy for other FMs to suggest ?

I wish i had the budget for all this!
I can only afford another 30-35k right now for my amp. Maybe later add a sub and a cd player as well

Hello
I am only looking for a stereo setup as i listen to music 70% and series 30%
Thank you for your advice to visit Vasu
Ill do that asap :)

Great!

I too have a pure stereo setup, which I also use for watching movies once in a while (in 2.0 mode). Even in a 2.0 setup, the difference between the speakers in the TV and the stereo setup has to be heard to be believed (I do have 12 inch woofers in my speakers though!).

BTW, if you are on a tight budget, and are open to buying used, there are some very good stereo amplifiers that come up on sale in the forum. You will be able to get better value for your money by buying used. You can post a thread in the 'wanted' section also and see whether you get a suitable response.

Best,
APK.

I second that. Go to Harmonie Audio.

Great!

I too have a pure stereo setup, which I also use for watching movies once in a while (in 2.0 mode). Even in a 2.0 setup, the difference between the speakers in the TV and the stereo setup has to be heard to be believed (I do have 12 inch woofers in my speakers though!).

BTW, if you are on a tight budget, and are open to buying used, there are some very good stereo amplifiers that come up on sale in the forum. You will be able to get better value for your money by buying used. You can post a thread in the 'wanted' section also and see whether you get a suitable response.

Best,
APK.

Thants some bad ass idea! Doin it just now!

Im thinkin of auditioning the marantz. If 5004 sounds well, then there is a nice offer goin for the amp/cd combo.

Marantz PM6004 is a great choice.
You can also consider Denon PMA 720 which is a good match for KEFQ300
Another option is to go for Norge pre-power combo - it has got good reviews.

Hello members
After auditioning a few soeaker brands, i narrowed down to a pair of kef q300's. this was easy as it fit my budget and i clearly didnt see any competition there. As soon as i thought my worries ended, i guess i was wrong. This whole bit of selecting an amp for my speakers has been a lot more tedious than what i thought it would be like.

I too am in a similar dilemna......looking for a amp and speakers.

Wanted to buy an amp first and then the speakers but members on HFV recommend going for the speakers first and then the amp. So maybe, this is the way i am gonna go too!

how much did the Kefs cost you...they are also on my shortlist. Any other speakers you considered?

Wanted to buy an amp first and then the speakers but members on HFV recommend going for the speakers first and then the amp. So maybe, this is the way i am gonna go too!

If you are starting from scratch, it is best (in my opinion also) to start with the speakers. Usually, speakers will make the biggest difference in sound (upto a certain budget), and hence it makes sense to buy them first.

Listen to as many speakers as you can and finalize one whithin your budget. Then carry your speaker to different hi-fi shops and hear amplifiers with your speaker so that it become easier to finalize an amplifier that you like (since you are hearing the amplifier along with the speakers that you have bought).

Best,
APK

I too am in a similar dilemna......looking for a amp and speakers.

how much did the Kefs cost you...they are also on my shortlist. Any other speakers you considered?

Hey
Welcome to the dtifting boat
I got my q300s for 31k
Other speakers i was considering were polk tsi 300s and moudrant shorts
I was also very impressed by q acoustics
All of them were almost the same cost
The only problem here is that i dont know of a single store will mostof these brands. And then most of them dont know how to give a demo. Then the amp in most cases are not the best.
After 2 months of reviewing and auditioning i narrowed it down to the kefs!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back