VGA to RCA connectors?

vaibhav

Hello
I have a conventional CRT 29" that doesnt have an S-video or VGA input. My laptop has only USB out and VGA out.
The chipset on the laptop is intel GM695 and m'proc is intel X3100. Now, after some reasearch i came to know that if the chip supports 'TV out' feature then all i need is a simple VGA to RCA cable - i can get that locally or get it from US/Singapore. Something like this: Amazon.com: NEW VGA to TV CONVERTER S-VIDEO+RCA OUT CABLE ADAPTER (only for graphic card have TV Out function): Electronics
Now, i read through forums online and just CANT get to know if the intel chip supports TV out.
Any help at all would be MUCH appreciated. Its 2 am and this is drivin me nuts !!
thanks in advance
Vaibhav

Hi,
thanks for the response but thats not the answer to my question. :sad: My question is on the functionality of the intel X3100 chip that is used in many HP laptops. The question is if the chip supports TV out through VGA port?
I know where the components (connector) is available and which one to get.
would appreciate a response to the question above.
thanks
Vaibhav

Connector you found on Amazon is the same what you need.:clapping:

Dont think of chipset.It just converts RGB signal to vid.Only thing,you reduce screen resolution before you you switch on TV.:)

I'm not so sure about my laptop if it has tv out on it's VGA port.Can someone help...

So for something like this to work,we need to have the graphics card support a TV-out,am I right in my understanding ?

The chipset on the laptop is intel GM695 and m'proc is intel X3100. Now, after some reasearch i came to know that if the chip supports 'TV out' feature then all i need is a simple VGA to RCA cable - Now, i read through forums online and just CANT get to know if the intel chip supports TV out.

The video out of a PC or laptop is controlled by the graphics chip and not the main microprocessor.

Secondly, irrespective of what the graphics processor does, VGA cable does not (I could be wrong) carry sound. You have to take a audio-out from the PC and connect it to the Audio-in of the TV.

If your PC/Laptop has VGA and audio out, you can connect it to any digital TV such as LCDs, and Plasmas. Using a VGA to RCA converter, I suppose you can connect it to a CRT also. But I am not sure what quality of picture you will get.

If you give the exact model number of your machine, maybe someone can give better answers.

Cheers

Last edited:
...Secondly, irrespective of what the graphics processor does, VGA cable does not (I could be wrong) carry sound. You have to take a RCA audio-out from the PC and connect it to the Audio-in of the TV.

Venkat

The only cable that can carry sound and video at this time is HDMI - VGA is for video only.

Yup it has S-Video and you should find the converter at any local PC hardware shop. It will not be that expensive either.

Rs.50 for 1mtr lenghth.

Thanks Spiro for the update.

@hauntedhunter - It will require some legwork and searching but such cables will be available at the local PC h/w store. Just carry your laptop along too in case you're not too sure.

The video out of a PC or laptop is controlled by the graphics chip and not the main microprocessor.

Secondly, irrespective of what the graphics processor does, VGA cable does not (I could be wrong) carry sound. You have to take a RCA audio-out from the PC and connect it to the Audio-in of the TV.

If your PC/Laptop has VGA and audio out, you can connect it to any digital TV such as LCDs, and Plasmas. Using a VGA to RCA converter, I suppose you can connect it to a CRT also. But I am not sure what quality of picture you will get.

If you give the exact model number of your machine, maybe someone can give better answers.

Cheers

@ Venkat - My laptop model number is compaq 6720s - it doesnt have S video for sure. I will take audio out separately and i already got the 3.5 mm to R/Y channel splitter for possible direct powered speaker connections. If i find the sound crappy i will connect a stereo amp (taking sound out through the USB port - there're micro usb convertors available for bypassing the inbuilt processing unit) and 2 speakers or maybe an AVR with 2.1 depending on the money. Now, I didnt buy an LCD after throrough (visited about 15 shops or so in few weeks) comparison with the PQ of CRT. For the tata sky quality, CRT is still a better option. LCD is brighter and has better contrast and looks wonderful with a good dvd but with the normal aspect ratio of the TV and for fatigue free viewing i would still rate a CRT a 10 as opposed to 9 for LCD. I will probably invest in a projector rather than an LCD but at this time its out of my budget so i will have to attempt connecting the CRT with the computer.

Also - :signthankspin: for all the help - much appreciate it.

@ hemantwaghe - sir you had me all confused and my office colleagues are giving me strange looks with me holding the laptop up in the air and minutely inspecting it. compaq 6720s does not have S video port. HP forum confirms that. OR was your post meant for haunted hunter?

@ previous poster who suggested that the component on amazon is all that i need. Thanks for the confirmation but where do i find that cable in India? I went to the local Staples here in Great India place noida and they dont have it. Not to mention my visit to lajpat rai market in old delhi this weekend where they have practically all the connectors you can dream of but even they didnt have it. :(

Last edited:
Sorry i answered hauntedhunter quiery reg dell- it has s video:D

any are these specs of your lap?

vhttp://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html

is ur tv has componant inputs or only compsites??

yup! this is the culprit .Also, am unable to confirm if the X3100 has a TV out functionality .....so taking a chance there. As an aside i do have an older IBM thinkpad R40 that works just fine and it has an S video port (7 pin i think). But that will have a different problem - TV has only component ins - so i will need a S video out to component cable.
Do you think that is more easily available?

Hi Vaibhav,

S-video to Component converter cable is available.
In fact i am using one to connect my PC to my CRT monitor. The only thing is that i dint procure the converter since it came along with my graphics card. But yes, i have seen this product.

Infact, i am using a connector similar to this : http://cgi.ebay.com/S-video-to-Comp...ms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50.

Additionally, i have a 5M MX component cable to connect all the way from my PC to the CRT. made no diff in PQ.. works flawlesslly..

Last edited:
Thanks Prashant. Are you able to connect to a CRT using this cable (the ebay ad says only HDTV).
Also, did you get the cable in India? It would be perfect if you could give me the contact information .....
thanks

Hi Vaibhav,

Yes, I am able to connect to my sony 21" CRT with this same converter and then extended component cable without any issues. It says HDTV since it also possible to use it to the component input of your LCD/Plasma as well.

I got this graphics card from SP Road in Bangalore, which is where you get most of the computer spares etc., and this S-Video converter came along with it. I have seen this type of converter with another distributor but dint buy it since i got one default with my card.

I dont know where in delhi this can be procured, but look for this converter in a place which is similar to Lamington road, Mumbai or Ritchie Street in Chennai (Maybe Nehru Place in delhi ??)

lemme know if you need more info...

Hi-- I have Dell d630 Laptop and does not have Svidio connector in it. I am looking for my laptop connecivity with my TV ( RCA ). I have no idea which hardware i should look for? Please suggest

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back