Video Upscaling

gwarlock

Am planning to buy, Panasonic G10. Is it true that the TV itself would do the video upscaling and i would not require an upscaling DVD player?

yes all TVs do upscaling if necessary. Some do it better than others. Some do it better than some DVD players. Some DVD players do it better than some TVs. ...etc., etc., the G10 should do a decent job, but perhaps nto as good as a samsung or a sony.

Am planning to buy, Panasonic G10. Is it true that the TV itself would do the video upscaling and i would not require an upscaling DVD player?

Hey, Thanks a lot for the quick response. Then i guess it was a pretty open ended question with a equally openended answer!!!
Lets try to narrow down this : What would be a good upscale DVDp with the budget range of say 6K
Anyways little off the track, am a new bee here and have been reading quite a bit on this forum and if i'm right i guess you got Usher S520 , wanted to check if it would be a good option to use the same set as fronts for a home theater setup.

Thanks,
Geo

Last edited:
You're putting together a nice HT setup? Why not invest in a Cambridge Audio DV99 for 14k or less....i know it's a bit more than double your budget, but if you can afford to buy a plasma and a DVD player i am assuming you can plump that extra cash :) . None of the consumer level DVD players can really do a terribly good job to be honest. They suffer from noise and inaccurate colour and their de-interlacing and scaling are rarely very good. I use one, so I can testify!

If you could lay your hands on an Oppo 980 from somewhere that would be swell, but otherwise the Cambridge Audio should do. It's an excellent audio source as well.

Of course keep in mind that blu-ray is getting ever cheaper and you might want to look at a BDP sometime soon-ish. i hope i've confused you sufficiently.

Oh ya the S520 would be fantastic as part of an HT. Haven't used it for movies personally, but it's got a flat frequency response and superb detail. I don't see any reason it shouldn't do superbly in an HT setup with a sub.

Hey, Thanks a lot for the quick response. Then i guess it was a pretty open ended question with a equally openended answer!!!
Lets try to narrow down this : What would be a good upscale DVDp with the budget range of say 6K
Anyways little off the track, am a new bee here and have been reading quite a bit on this forum and if i'm right i guess you got Usher S520 , wanted to check if it would be a good option to use the same set as fronts for a home theater setup.

Thanks,
Geo

I had setup my so called HT few years back (its been 7 yrs) with Yamaha RX-V440 (Not sure if anyone would remember that now) and Bose AM3 but quickly realized that these where stereo speakers and not for HT!!
As a alternative got a cheap Yamaha speakers which is currently doing its job if not very good, ok kinds. Later on added Philips TV (HD Ready CRT the pxial stuff) again realized that it didt have HDMI connector (how stupid can I get not really HDMI was just catching up) and could not watch true HD content had to work with Component cables which gave pretty good performance ofcouse the source was only the computer.

Now when looking for a Plasma came across this site and all you good ppl having very interesting discussions and technology has gone miles ahead or rather I had gone hibernating in to some cave.

Anyways I would want to take a baby steps for now (Still remember the old advise I got when I stared of sometime back, build your HT piece by piece) for now a Plasma, and a budget DVD (6K) later the fronts!!!
So any suggestions for 6K DVD player?

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back