Videocon d2h Antenna replacement

jagbalan

I had recently shifted to a new rented house (2nd floor of 10 floor). Because my owner insisted on not drilling anywhere in the house, I planned to install the d2h antenna on the roof.
The installation guy who came said my antenna is heavily bent and is doubtful about the reception. He showed me with his signal indicator that the signal was 53%. On the near by antenna he showed it to be 74%.
He told we can still do the connection and if you face trouble we have to change the antenna.
Also because of the height, he had 2 make 3 joints. I already had a 20 meters cable, he brought an additional 18 meters, plus there is a wire going inside the walls of the flat. He charged 400 for installation, 220 for the wire and 180 for the 2 connectors. So I had to shell out 800 rupees.
Now the problem is I can see only few channels and for others its saying Signal is not available. The service man said he doesn't have a spare antenna now but can bring one next week. He said it would charge around 500.

I'm skeptical a signal difference of 20-23% can make big difference to the channels? Has anyone changed the antenna and does it cost 500 rupees?

The channel reception is all based on signals since this is based on air-wave frequency. So it could be a possibility that you might not be getting some channels because of this issue.

Better would be to log the issue with company and have technician install a spare unit and see if the channels come back on, if yes issue resolved. Else, anyways company needs to fix that now that you have found it not to be a antenna issue.

Also, you can find these cheaply on olx/quikr. Go for a used one.

About 3 years back I had bought a no-name generic dish antenna (for receiving satellite radio and TV signals from Insat 4B) and its cost was Rs. 300 then. The LNB cost was another Rs.150 approximately. Cable was Rs. 10 per meter.

Your problem is signal loss in cable with multiple joints. Either buy bullet amplifier to replace first joint after dish or get slightly bigger dish and one piece cable.
Generally these DTH dish antenna are highly inefficient and shallow depth - offset focused. These tend to be problem for cable length beyond certain point. You mentioned about joints, its strictly no no.
Now bent dish - if it rests on plain surface along with its circumference then its okay and non twisted. there must not be dents on aluminum curved shape. After verifying this only alignment of direction, lna rotation(polarization) matters. These antenna are solid aluminum hence wide frequency response. You can change it with any DTH service providers antenna.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I decided to change the antenna. The guy who came told me that Tata Sky antennas are best and I should use that instead of videcon antenna. He showed me the strength of both the antennas. I too felt tata sky's antenna to be pretty strong.

After he changed the antenna, the signal strength jumped to 85%. The near by videcon antenna was giving 75%. Now all channels are available for viewing again :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back