Vintage 1960s JBL - ideas for a system?

dc40

So, I'm inheriting some late 1960s or early 1970s JBL speakers. I was told that they were actually early 1960s, but they look identical to these:

Vintage JBL Speakers C36 With Mash Potato Horns 6-15-71 Wokring Condition | eBay

They will be coming with an ohm converter (what is this?). Other than that, all I know is that they are in good condition, pretty rare, sound good, and were made in the early 1960s.

What should I do with these to integrate them into the best sounding system? I have the ability to build an entire system around them.

I would love to get a Marantz AVR...maybe an extra amp? I would love to pair them with two good bookshelf speakers too.

The thing about these speakers is that their big. Treated correctly, they could make good end tables too (please no one bite my head off for that).

I care most about the sound of my music, but will be wiring things up to watch BD/TV too. Should I have them facing me, or does that matter much.

Any history about how they work and what makes them different from modern speakers would be great to know too.

Ideas? experience? insights? Open to all...

Amps from this ear traditionally work best with tube and early solid state amps paired with turntables. (Audiophile mind you, not any others) The ohm selector lets you I think, take it up to 16 ohms, depending on what impedance your amp has. I've found that speakers sound best at 4 ohms. YMMV

Disclaimer. I haven't heard these speakers, this is a very general suggestion. I assume they would be at least 12" drivers, so they need to be slightly off the ground and a fair distance apart

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back