Vintage Collaro Conqust Changer

kuruvilajacob

Hi Forum members,
I managed to get a vintage record changer manufactured by Collaro Conquest , Great Britain. It needs servicing but it is in good condition. Anyone know about this changer?

Dear kuruvilajacob, with all due respect and with absolutely no offense meant...such posts would be really useful and mouthwatering if we have a few pics...please do post some.

Found this when I did a random google search, may be of some help.

http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/collaro.htm

By the way, out of pure curiosity, how do you get hold of these beauties, that too, in a place like Kottayam? I am currently building my home and am in the process of setting up a music listening space. Have been looking for a vintage gramaphone or garrard record changer, cant seem to find one in decent condition. Thanks and Regards.

Last edited:
Wow another one Kuruvilajacob? You certainly can find em I must say! I think I've come across the name but not the changer, a regular one. The name sounds vaguely similar... As reubem says some pics would be good to drool over the weekend ;)

reubensm,steivieboy,
I do pick up a lot of vintage changers and radios from my contacts who goes around houses to pick up old unwanted things in and around Kottayam. You must be aware that the entire surrounding areas are infested with gulf malayalees who have been abroad for years. So it is not surprising why I get these stuff. thanks a lot for the useful websites. they were really helpful. I will post photos of all the vintage TTs I have soon. Next time I come across a changer worth its name, I will let you know ruebensm

Thanks Kuruvilajacob, since you are from nearby Kottayam, have you heard of a gentleman called Sundara Vardhanan (or Stereo Mony) from Trivandrum?

No. I have not come across that name. Is he known by any other name?
kuruvilajacob

Thought you may know him, he was another guy into audio stuff (buying and selling) in the late 1970s, early to mid 1980s. He also had this knack of sourcing a lot of imported stuff, especially turntables. He used to construct and sell his own amps and speakers. Not sure if he is around any more.

Dear Reubensm,

I do have a few more vintage changers. I am collecting more and hope to have enough to start a vintage changer museum someday! I am attaching pics of few of them. They are from the Philips and HMV family!
kuruvilajacob

Is the record player in the middle (centre photo) an HMV Cylapso or HMV Fiesta? Remember that one faintly from my childhood.

The middle one is HMV playboy. It has a built in valve amplifier and speaker. You will be surprised how good it sounds. You are welcome to come and listen to that as well my other systems especially my music room
kuruvilajacob

Thanks for the invite Kuruvilajacob, would definitely love to visit your place. My wife is from Thodupuzha and we plan to drive down there during the summer. She too has become interested in turntables and record players. Shall try to drop by. Thanks and Regards.

Colaro conquest was completely dismantles , cleaned . serviced and put back in one piece. My friend says in his life he has not encountered such a complicated changer. It is totally different from Garrards, Duals etc. I am trying to post some pics of dismantled Collaro. My friend said it was the most satisfying conquest to tame Collaro

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back