Vintage Garrard SP 35 Record Player

kuruvilajacob

I recently got this rare Record Player which plays only 78 RPM records and the needle to be used is the gramaphone needle. I think it must be older than my Thorens CD 53 which was manufactured between 1946 and '53.It plays best when connected to old mono Valve radio. Perhaps, it was made to be connected to the pickup input of old valve radios. While the reproduction is not one can expect from a ceramic cart, I am sure with a little research, it may be possible to improve sound quality. Since it plays only 78s, I presume, it must be of the early models dating to the 1940's or earlier.

Last edited:
Very good Payer for 78 rpm records. IMHO one of the best record player to play shellac records.
Is that SP35 is correct model number? I have one player like the same RC60/D 16 with their original wooden box,
It has heavy Garrard Cart

Thank you
Raghunadh

Last edited:
I will check the model number again. I also have a Garrard RC 60 changer which has a similar looking spindle(I will take a pic tomorrow). By magnetic pickup, do you mean it will work when it is connected with magnetic phono stage?

I will check the model number again. I also have a Garrard RC 60 changer which has a similar looking spindle(I will take a pic tomorrow). By magnetic pickup, do you mean it will work when it is connected with magnetic phono stage?

I am sorry, No need to connect to phono stage, it is working with aux input.

Thanks,
Raghu

Raghu, you turntable is a changer with some of the parts missing. If the Garrard model had the "RC" prefix, it signified that the player was indeed a record changer (that's what RC stood for)

The one Mr. Kuruvilla had dug up is an older one. Interesting to note the crystal pick up. These tracked with very heavy tracking forces and used gramaphone needles with the crystal pick-up cartridge. I once received an RC 75 changer with the same type of headshell and cart, for converting it for use with a ceramic cartridge.

These record players could be played through any radio or amplifier. On the front of the headshell, you can see a screw, after the needle was inserted, this screw had to be tightened to hold it in place.

The best dedicated vintage 78rpm turntable of all time is arguably the Garrard 201 direct drive turntable.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back