Vintage KEF kit 104ab sensitivity rating and efficiency question

heliumflight

Hello Friends,

Any KEF lovers!!

Could the audio gurus shed light on the KEF kit model 104 ab if they have a flat response curve for tolerating impedeance dips?

I am wondering if anyone can translate the sensitivity rating from the 104ab spec sheet. It reads as follows.....12.5 watts into nominal 8 ohms produces 96dB at one meter and 400 Hz in anechoic conditions. How does this relate to the current standards of measurement? The most common rating I see is... Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 88dB. I Know this is not sensitive but is it efficient? From my little experience I know that Ive heard Flat response is more important than sensitivity.

"In the manual it says if the objective is the realistic reproduction of varied musical program, a minimum amplifier of 15watts is recommended in ordinary domestic rooms":)

So Im confused if a SET 845 will be able to drive them in domestic room 150 sqft? With my 2A3 they sound weak but loud Or will a 100 watt Quad amp do justice. But does it have a tube sound?:indifferent14:

Manual

Thanks in anticipation.
--
helium

all these specs don't make sense now that you have both speakers and amp with you. Just play them upto 12 o clock on amp vol, and if they sound loud enough with good low end freq response, your amp matches power-wise.

How much did you pay for them and pls post some pics if possible.

Definately my ears will make the decision whether SET will drive them but I wanted a perspective from respected forum members who had a chance to experiment; as it is often mentioned that SET sounds great only with single driver speakers 95+db.

I will surely post pics for sure for the Vinatge fans.

pm me for the cost

--
helium

the sensitivity is definitely lower than 90db, should be around 87 roughly. It says 96db with 12.5 watts of power at some particular freq.

Hello Friends,

Any KEF lovers!!

Could the audio gurus shed light on the KEF kit model 104 ab if they have a flat response curve for tolerating impedeance dips?

I am wondering if anyone can translate the sensitivity rating from the 104ab spec sheet. It reads as follows.....12.5 watts into nominal 8 ohms produces 96dB at one meter and 400 Hz in anechoic conditions. How does this relate to the current standards of measurement? The most common rating I see is... Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 88dB. I Know this is not sensitive but is it efficient? From my little experience I know that Ive heard Flat response is more important than sensitivity.

"In the manual it says if the objective is the realistic reproduction of varied musical program, a minimum amplifier of 15watts is recommended in ordinary domestic rooms":)

So Im confused if a SET 845 will be able to drive them in domestic room 150 sqft? With my 2A3 they sound weak but loud Or will a 100 watt Quad amp do justice. But does it have a tube sound?:indifferent14:

Manual

Thanks in anticipation.
--
helium

Check net..
I am not getting it right now but somewhere on net KEF's way of calculating sensitivity explained.
Actually I was getting a KEF Cadenza with such weird specs. Same time I was getting a vintage tube amp ( later proved out of my budget)

Kadenzas sensitivity was explained as- 15 W into nominal 8 ohms produces 96 DB at one meter in anechoic conditions

On net someone explained that this speaker is actually INEFFICIENT and UNSUITABLE for tube ,although good for SS.

SO if you want this for tube , preferably stay away..that is what the site was saying..

Yes KEFs have many super sensitive speakers ,but these are unfortunately not..

Check net..
I am not getting it right now but somewhere on net KEF's way of calculating sensitivity explained.
Actually I was getting a KEF Cadenza with such weird specs. Same time I was getting a vintage tube amp ( later proved out of my budget)

Kadenzas sensitivity was explained as- 15 W into nominal 8 ohms produces 96 DB at one meter in anechoic conditions

On net someone explained that this speaker is actually INEFFICIENT and UNSUITABLE for tube ,although good for SS.

SO if you want this for tube , preferably stay away..that is what the site was saying..

Yes KEFs have many super sensitive speakers ,but these are unfortunately not..

Thanks Hemant. I did check the KEF Forum and most of the people hooked their KEF speakers with Quad/ Naim.

SpeakerTalk :: Index

--
helium

unless you like those KEFs way too much, it would not be a great idea to buy stuff and build a system around it.
You like the tube sound, keep the lyrita amp and build a system around it. Mate it with Viren's amity speakers [I am assuming that you like that combo]. Or you may try klipsch ref series at some dealer (high sensitivity).

You can keep these KEFs for a secondary/ experimental system and then add a SS amp via the same route you got your speakers from.
Quad amp would not be cheaper than new Amity speakers from Viren.

In my opinion (opinion formed my reading about the KEF online), your B&Ws will beat it without a sweat. So don't let go of your B&Ws until you are completely satisified with the KEF and the system you are building around it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back