Vinyl after a long time - what it taught

You are misinformed sir.

Not only the vintage analog pressings , even the newer releases - specially limited anniversary editions command huge prices in used market.

let me give two examples . There are hundreds others :

1. Beatles Mono Boxset - released in 2014 for around 200$. Today you can’t get it for under 1000$ in VG+ condition.

2. Pink Floyd Division Bell 20th anniversary box set. Retailed for around 6500 INR back in 2012. Now discogs lists at least 20,000 INR for decent condition.

Newer reissues from audiophile labels such as Back to Black , MOFI , Analog Productions , Music on Vinyl quickly go out of stock and several of these reissues fetch incredible prices. Eg: Fleetwood Mac Rumours 2Lp 45 RPM Analog Productions set or Brubeck’s Time Out from same label is now priced 3 times it’s retail price and all indications say will increase more.
Ah.. that's good then. Let me see if I have any hidden gems. :)
I have several Indian pressing of western artists that I don't see available easily.
And an UK pressing of the Dark Side of the Moon from the year it was first released. They must be pretty expensive now.
Also in India suddenly the vinyl availability is going down. Popular acts like Bob Marley and Dire Straits are being quoted at double of what it was 18 months ago. And Western Classical releases from DG have all but vanished.

I have several Indian pressing of western artists that I don't see available easily.
And an UK pressing of the Dark Side of the Moon from the year it was first released. They must be pretty expensive now.
Also in India suddenly the vinyl availability is going down. Popular acts like Bob Marley and Dire Straits are being quoted at double of what it was 18 months ago. And Western Classical releases from DG have all but vanished.
I own several Indian pressings of classic rock albums including incredibly rare Led Zep IV , DSOTM , Rolling Stones , Beatles etc in near mint condition. They are pricey now and are getting pricier everyday especially in excellent conditions.
These pressings sound absolutely wonderful.

By the way I’m lucky enough to hear the very first UK pressing of DSOTM

Last edited:
Do you have the details, any serial number etc? I could compare and see to which pressing my DSTOM belongs. It got it as a gift from my landlady.
The UK first pressing I listened at a respected audiophile’s place. I can ask him to share the matrix details. I own the Indian 1973 HMV pressing which sounds superb.

It is called "Scalping"
All new pressings are out of print within a span of few days, only to appear "New" Mint" or "Un Opened" lps double,Tripple or N fold increase in price.
This Scalping will do same harm to the music industry as was done due to illegal cassette recordings.
HMV and other companies tried unsuccessfully to encounter this by produsing Prerecorded audio cassettes.
T series then swept everything under all giant labels
Only thing we can due to prevent scalping is not to buy from these (re)resellers.
but companies have to provide us the copies on demand.
My two cents.

It is called "Scalping"
All new pressings are out of print within a span of few days, only to appear "New" Mint" or "Un Opened" lps double,Tripple or N fold increase in price.
This Scalping will do same harm to the music industry as was done due to illegal cassette recordings.
HMV and other companies tried unsuccessfully to encounter this by produsing Prerecorded audio cassettes.
T series then swept everything under all giant labels
Only thing we can due to prevent scalping is not to buy from these (re)resellers.
but companies have to provide us the copies on demand.
My two cents.
true

Dear Gurus, From my Uncle, I happened to land on a pile of old LPs (Jazz/western classical/old hindi and kannada songs, carnatic from 60s to 80s, about 40 or so of LPs). Few LPs are made of laquer (I guess but not sure). He also gave me his Sony automatic LP player. Once I saw the LPs at home, I saw quite a bit of dirt sticking on them and I didn't want to play the LPs without removing the gunk. I need to know how to clean these LPs without damaging them. Thanks for your advice. Regards Lokesh

Dear Gurus, From my Uncle, I happened to land on a pile of old LPs (Jazz/western classical/old hindi and kannada songs, carnatic from 60s to 80s, about 40 or so of LPs). Few LPs are made of laquer (I guess but not sure). He also gave me his Sony automatic LP player. Once I saw the LPs at home, I saw quite a bit of dirt sticking on them and I didn't want to play the LPs without removing the gunk. I need to know how to clean these LPs without damaging them. Thanks for your advice. Regards Lokesh
That’s nice and I hope you are inclined to have the player setup and give it a spin. Some basics required like a phono amplifier and a pair of speakers to start off. You would also need to check if the player is in working condition with a playable cartridge.

Loads of reference threads available on cleaning vinyl on the phono section. Sharing a quick video as well Vinyl Cleaning

Thanks @Record Player
Can I use any dishwasher liquid inplace of Jet Dry?
better is is to use Isopropyl alcohol right ? you get that at any chemist shop and you can dilute it. any soap is also fine as long as you do not put it in the dishwasher :D

Those made of lacquer or Shellac , if I know it right are 78s and if thats the case, needs a different cartridge/cleaning and am sure your uncle has it in the TT but cleaning can be the same.

If you could post Pics of the cartridge maybe people here could help

..And welcome and congrats on the Vinyl !

Last edited:
better is to use Isopropyl alcohol right ? you get that at any chemist shop and you can dilute it. any soap is also fine as long as you do not put it in the dishwasher :D

Those made of lacquer or Shellac , if I know it right are 78s and if thats the case needs a different cartridge/cleaning and am sure your uncle has it in the TT but cleaning can be the same.

Detergent is with the combination of 80% Distilled Water and 20% IPA with a bit of detergent as suggested in the video link I shared with the OP. Cheers

better is is to use Isopropyl alcohol right ? you get that at any chemist shop and you can dilute it. any soap is also fine as long as you do not put it in the dishwasher :D

Those made of lacquer or Shellac , if I know it right are 78s and if thats the case, needs a different cartridge/cleaning and am sure your uncle has it in the TT but cleaning can be the same.

Hahaha..sure , will remember not to put it in a dishwasher! thanks for the tip, yes, will picture by the weekend.

The UK first pressing I listened at a respected audiophile’s place. I can ask him to share the matrix details. I own the Indian 1973 HMV pressing which sounds superb.
Most of the Beatles' Indian pressings have the same runout matrix number as the UK 1st or 2nd pressings/stampers except for the very rare Gold label Parlophone labels on first UK pressings of Please Please Me. I had a chance to compare a very early UK pressing of a Hard Day's night in Mono and the Indian pressing that I have. The sound quality of the Indian pressing is phenomenal. But Indian Mono issues of the Beatles are so rare and expensive now.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back