Vinyl cleaning service

persiflage

Hi Everyone,

First off, Happy Holidays and all the best in the New Year!

I have picked up a few titles in used Vinyl - the content is priceless to me and (to the best of my knowledge) did not ever make it to the CD format.

I want to archive these, but the problem is too much noise. It's obvious that the sound reproduction would improve dramatically if given a good scrub with an LP cleaning machine (e.g. Nitty Gritty or similar).

Does anyone know of a cleaning service in Mumbai (or elsewhere in India) that can do the honours? Or someone who owns such a machine and can help? I would be happy, of course, to pay a reasonable amount per LP cleaned.

Regards,
Persiflage

PS: I have tried manual cleaning with no success. It's clear that the LPs need serious help.

HI!,

We offer vinyl cleaning services and can do the needful. We do it on a Nitty Gritty Machine. Pls PM me for more details.

Rgds

Prithvi

Hi Brother,
I am interested in getting my LPs and 78 RPMs cleaned. What are the charges? I am located in Mumbai. Kindly call or SMS on 9821331305.
Best regards
Navin Sinha

HI!,

We offer vinyl cleaning services and can do the needful. We do it on a Nitty Gritty Machine. Pls PM me for more details.

Rgds

Prithvi

How much of an improvement is the Nitty Gritty machine over SpinClean disc washer system, for otherwise clean and near mint quality vinyls?

Check out Nova Audio in Mumbai, I guess they do cleaning and provide new inner sleeves. A bit pricey, but works if you don't have your own machine and a limited number of records to clean.

Does an RCM do a better job of cleaning the record compared to hand cleaning it with water and isopropyl alcohol or is automation the only advantage?

~Swapnil

hi svaze, i recommend you search the forums.. i believe this has been discussed a few times with different opinions on both sides. Would be worth a read through.

Cheers

I do not have experience using any RCM machines. But any cleaning not using vacume cleaning is no cleaning at all. I have done quite a lot of research on this and my conclusion is that the dirt is always inside the grove and needs to be forced out. They do not come out that easily. I may be wrong but this is my experience
kuruvilajacob

I do not have experience using any RCM machines. But any cleaning not using vacume cleaning is no cleaning at all. I have done quite a lot of research on this and my conclusion is that the dirt is always inside the grove and needs to be forced out. They do not come out that easily. I may be wrong but this is my experience
kuruvilajacob

Dear Jacob, the science of deep cleaning calls for the usage of detergent which works on surface tension.

Deep groove dirts can come out, if we use first the regular detergent to wash the intense dirt, and then apply a pure foam/lather scrub it to further foamy, there by the dirt sticks to the bubble layers, and once the bubble bursts, the dirts get loose and come to top layer. This is the technique used to take out the dirts from the carpet's pile root.

At the end, all the dust form of dirt brought out by the bubble burst needs to taken out. There you suggestion comes handy.. Vacumming is a must.

I use mild detergent to scrub the 78RPMs' first, and damp dry, and play it again in the gramaphone, to loosen the dirt, then do a foam scrub (Gillette shaving foam can) , wait to dry , hard dry , and then just do a dry vacum..

Simon

Last edited:
Check out Nova Audio in Mumbai, I guess they do cleaning and provide new inner sleeves. A bit pricey, but works if you don't have your own machine and a limited number of records to clean.

i had a few records cleaned by Mr. Sushil Anand of Nova Audion using his german record cleaning machine. an appreciable difference pre and post cleaning! costs INR 60 / record + a free inner plastic sleeve.

I have tried many methods of record cleaning and according to my experiences I rate them as-

1. VPI record cleaning system.
2. Vinyl Magician cleaning system, SpinClean record cleaning system
3. Washing with distilled water and citrus liquid soap using thick and soft painting brush.
4. 3M microfiber cloth

I have not tried the system with Nova Audio or Nitty Gritty and so can't comment or compare.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back