vinyl setup

Aravindan

Friends, I have one question
I am having ONKYO Receiver HT-R340 - 5.1 speaker setup
recently I have purchased Audio technical LP60 vinyl player
Now I have connected Tape input of ONKYO Receiver HT-R340 receiver.
sounds is normal.

Or

I need to go for Stereo setup like Marantz PM5005 with bookshelf speakers.

friends need your advice on this.

Hello Aravindan, what you have done is absolutely the right way to start. The AT LP60 has its own inbuilt phono preamplifier (called phono-stage) which allows you the advantage of being able to connect your turntable to virtually any generic input on any amplifier. Hence it will work perfectly fine with the tape input of your Onkyo receiver. You can continue to enjoy your record collection using this method.

There is often a lot written about how best to connect a turntable to an amplifier or on the various nuances related to the hardware chain required for listening to records. Honestly the only mandatory pre-requisite is to have a suitable phono-stage that matches the type of phono cartridge which is installed on your turntable tonearm. You already have this built in, with your turntable and hence you don't really have to bother about getting one. As I said, you don't have to do anything else to enjoy your records, except for ensuring that your records are kept clean and the stylus of your phono cartridge is cleaned regularly with a soft brush.

But you may wonder, given the above, why do folk debate so much about the chain of hardware, associated with vinyl listening. The answer is, what you have currently is an entry level setup which can be used with enjoyable results for everyday casual listening. If you want to enhance the experience with greater sound quality and fully realize the potential of the quality of analog vinyl listening, then the hardware associated in your chain, from turntable to cartridge, from interconnects to phono stage and from amplification to speakers, will all matter. Again there are no ground rules. Also there are no constants - what sounds good to one person may not be good for another person. Many enthusiasts, including myself have started off with the belief that, the more you pay, the better your rig will sound, only to realize after coming full circle, that this is not always the case. Hence my personal suggestion is to upgrade at some point but do so only after you've listened to your current setup a lot, so as to understand properly, what are the merits and what are the de-merits (what is lacking or what is missing). Also listen to other rigs and try to identify equipment with a sound signature that matches your listening style and taste. If you go forward in a planned and phased manner, you will reach that sweet spot (where you achieve listening Nirvana), all the more easily :)

Hello Aravindan, what you have done is absolutely the right way to start. The AT LP60 has its own inbuilt phono preamplifier (called phono-stage) which allows you the advantage of being able to connect your turntable to virtually any generic input on any amplifier. Hence it will work perfectly fine with the tape input of your Onkyo receiver. You can continue to enjoy your record collection using this method.

There is often a lot written about how best to connect a turntable to an amplifier or on the various nuances related to the hardware chain required for listening to records. Honestly the only mandatory pre-requisite is to have a suitable phono-stage that matches the type of phono cartridge which is installed on your turntable tonearm. You already have this built in, with your turntable and hence you don't really have to bother about getting one. As I said, you don't have to do anything else to enjoy your records, except for ensuring that your records are kept clean and the stylus of your phono cartridge is cleaned regularly with a soft brush.

But you may wonder, given the above, why do folk debate so much about the chain of hardware, associated with vinyl listening. The answer is, what you have currently is an entry level setup which can be used with enjoyable results for everyday casual listening. If you want to enhance the experience with greater sound quality and fully realize the potential of the quality of analog vinyl listening, then the hardware associated in your chain, from turntable to cartridge, from interconnects to phono stage and from amplification to speakers, will all matter. Again there are no ground rules. Also there are no constants - what sounds good to one person may not be good for another person. Many enthusiasts, including myself have started off with the belief that, the more you pay, the better your rig will sound, only to realize after coming full circle, that this is not always the case. Hence my personal suggestion is to upgrade at some point but do so only after you've listened to your current setup a lot, so as to understand properly, what are the merits and what are the de-merits (what is lacking or what is missing). Also listen to other rigs and try to identify equipment with a sound signature that matches your listening style and taste. If you go forward in a planned and phased manner, you will reach that sweet spot (where you achieve listening Nirvana), all the more easily :)

Wow thanks lot sir for sharing your experience.. Your reply will help me a lot

Hi
Aravindan
Your audiotechnica LP 60 is undoubtedly a fine TT. It has its own phono stage and the tone arm is factory calibrated. I have this TT and it sounds very sweet to my ears. As FM Reubensm has told you can connect it either to your avr or to any source having aux in. You can upgrade in due course of time if you want to do so. As of now what you have is nice and I am sure it will satisfy you for many more years.
Regards

Hi
Aravindan
Your audiotechnica LP 60 is undoubtedly a fine TT. It has its own phono stage and the tone arm is factory calibrated. I have this TT and it sounds very sweet to my ears. As FM Reubensm has told you can connect it either to your avr or to any source having aux in. You can upgrade in due course of time if you want to do so. As of now what you have is nice and I am sure it will satisfy you for many more years.
Regards
Thanks lot sir also you are having Audiotechnica TT. What is your setup sir..

For turntables , there is a chain of upgrades that can be done as FM Reubensm has suggested.
My suggestion would be to allocate more funds to procure good pressings of vinyls of your choicest albums. Good pressings (especially foreign ones ) are difficult to find and expensive. No matter how expensive your setup is - if the source is weak it won’t sound as good as its supposed to. :)

For turntables , there is a chain of upgrades that can be done as FM Reubensm has suggested.
My suggestion would be to allocate more funds to procure good pressings of vinyls of your choicest albums. Good pressings (especially foreign ones ) are difficult to find and expensive. No matter how expensive your setup is - if the source is weak it won’t sound as good as its supposed to. :)

Thanks yes correct Good vinyl is very expensive..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back